Guys, What's the deal with short hair?

So, I was playing around on the Internet and ended up on this website and saw that pixie cuts/short hair on women was a topic debated a few times... I saw mixed replies ranging from "it's ugly" to "it depends" to "100 percent yes". And like the answer to any question opinion related, the answer is relative. However, I wonder, why is it such a huge deal? I know that some people are not attracted to it, and that's alright because some things guys do to their appearance I am not attracted to. But I gotta know some things... Why is long hair considered generally 'feminine' when usually (NOT always) , long hair hides most of a girl's face? Also, why the general statement "long hair always looks better" ? Because it's just not true... Anyways, please let me know what you think guys!

15

Most Helpful Guy

• I personally find short hair on girls extremely attractive as it reveals their feminine parts like their slender necks, ears and so on. And another thing about them is that they challenged the norm and are implying by action that something different can be good too. The notion that women must have long hair is mostly cultural.

• Right! Thank you for your input!

• Right, thaTs great of you. And as a girl with shirt hair I concede with them.

What Guys Said 14

• Because short hair is what guys have typically worn. A lot of this was actually caused by prostitutes, back in the day, oddly enough. Female prostitutes would cut their hair short and men would grow their hair out long. So, many people would attribute females with short hair as being a bad thing (and guys with long as bad, as well). It became a cultural thing and, now that people are trying to go the other way, again, it's just not seen as "feminine" by society for a lot of that reason. Personally, I've never liked pixie cuts on women. Heck, I even thought that Emma Watson looked gross in it. If she was a 10/10 for me and cut her hair to a pixie cut, she'd instantly go to a 1/10, for me. REALLY dislike them. So, the main reasons for people not thinking short hair is largely just remnants of previous cultural traditions, largely. That and longer hair is really beautiful. Beautiful people translate as more feminine and short hair (which is typically worn by guys because it's "more practical", if you will) is not as beautiful so it's not likely to be seen as feminine. If that makes any sense. That's one possible reason, as well.

• Well, right or wrong, short hair to me says practical, long hair says beautiful. That doesn't mean that a girl can't look good in short hair. But, usually a girl is making a statement with her hair, and most often that is how I interpret it. I don't get immediately attracted to a girl that makes a statement about practicality. On the other hand I've seen a few in short hair that look great, so it can be done.

• I can see it from that point of view. Hilariously enough though, short hair is often more difficult to style depending on the cut of course... Because of no buns or braids or ponytails. but the statement thing I get.

• Yeah, it's just a perception thing. My girlfriend and I went to Vegas last summer. I love long straight hair, and I really like hers. She decides she wants to get her hair done. She comes back looking like a teenage boy. The look on my face said it all so she explained to me it was hot and she just wanted her hair off her neck and back. I smiled and settled in for an evening of discussion about her hair cause I knew she was not gonna let it go. After hrs of her talking and me saying... uhuh... uhuh... yeah... uhuh, she decided she would grow her hair back. Mostly because I like it long and I like that it's long again, but I like more that she wanted me to like it.

• A pixie cut can look good. It still never looks as good as long hair though. That's my opinion. As to why it is so, no idea. It's hard to explain femininity or masculinity for that matter. Pixie cuts look like a guy's haircut. It is rare that long hair will look good on a guy too by the way. They often look more feminine.

• Because people in society these days are too busy trying to be like someone they saw or follow the crowd. Like you said the answers are random from guys.
    I think it's crazy that a girl will ask others (who she doesn't know) what her hair style she should like, then there girls saying they cut their hair short for their man and others saying their men would leave them. Firstly it's your ducking head do what you want, if he or she doesn't like it, the can go and eat a massive bag of dicks!!!

• Yeah my hair has been short a year now. I was so worried in the first few weeks what people said and eventually I became ok with it all because at the end of the day, I have to look at myself. And I love my hair. But thank you, I appreciate the opinion!

• listen to fly by hopsin. The words are really something that needs to be drilled into society. people are sheep and dumb as fuck! Kim kardashian and her retard family need to be erased from planet earth. And Botox needs to be made illegal lol

• Long hair just looks better. Adds flare, curviness and beauty, and exoticness to the look. And the longer hair separates from most guys.

• How can it create curve if it conceals parts of the face? This is in most long hairstyles- not all of course.

• I guess. But I tell you this now, most, (MOST) men will prefer long hair.

• It depends on the girls face. Some can pull it off, while some should not.
    I personally am not a fan of real short hair on women, but if you want to, than go ahead.
    The only thing im really against a woman getting is a buzzcut. I don't think it suits a woman's face. Look at Charlize Theron, she buzzed her hair and it completely ruined her looks. Same thing to Natalie Maines.

• Cuz mostly men have short hair and women who have short hair look somewhat like men or a pre-pubescent boy.

• That's the general statement thing i was saying before, and what I left out above is that I actually have short hair. And I'll just tell you, I don't look like a pre pubescent boy... Lol

• Just like most women don't find guys with flat ironed long hair attractive. Most men don't find girls with short hair attractive cuz it signals masculinity where as long hair signal good health, genes and femininity. It's more of an evolutionary biology thing rather than society or media. I am not saying that all women with short hair are unattractive. Of course there are exceptions to every rule. I don't know what you look like and I am sure you are beautiful in your own unique way 😊.

• Thank you being more specific...:)

• It depends. I love Olivia Wilde's hair in the movie "In Time". But generally, I prefer long hair. Long hair is more interesting. Short hair reminds me of my mom. LOL.

• I love your name so much lol. And no hair length isn't too important long hair can look nice but so can a pixie cut or something. It depends on the girl mostly. Hope this helpe

• I don't think it's the hair style itself, it how it looks on that particular girl. Some girls it looks good and some can't pull it off. That's just my opinion

• Short hair = boys. That's why i think, it's ugly.
    There are of course short haired girls who look good, but they don't have the "boy" hair style, their hair is just shorter.

Look at Emma Watson when she had that boy hair style, uhh, not good.

• I don't know, she still looks like a woman to me... I still think she's gorgeous. But it's your opinion. Thank you for answering.

• She does yes, but not that attractive anymore, cause of that hair style.

• If you are a perfect "10" with long hair the best you can do with short hair is an "8"

• I think short hair on girls looks really good, my cousin recently cut hers and she looks great!

• I see long, flowing locks as feminine and sexy. Cropped hair reminds me of a guy and it's a total turn off for me. I duno why exactly that's just the way I feel. I'm not an expert and this is just me guessing but it takes years of good nutrition to grow a long head of hair, and not much good comes from having one. That makes it useful as a fitness indicator for sexual selection. People with healthy long hair are well-fed, more likely to be fertile, and able to survive with a large mane, which are all good signs. Males selecting for long hair in females are using it as an indicator of fertility, youth, and health.