Why is it assumed that you're asking for attention when asking about your looks?

I notice many times when someone posts a question "Am I ugly?" "Do you think I'm ugly?" not a lot of those questions get a lot of honest answers. From what I've seen it's mostly people saying "you're looking for attention". Now I'm sure that people do post those just to get compliments and such. However, as someone who was severely bullied for my looks, I used to ask this question everyday because it was a very big concern for me. So I just want to know, what do you think has made people so jaded about this topic? Thanks!

Most Helpful Guy

• Because it is so overdone. And unfortunately it seems that a lot of people base their entire self worth on that exact question, which is COMPLETELY fuct up and absolutely wrong to do so. Ask any psychiatrist or psychologist how damaging it can be to allow other people's opinion to determine your self worth. You have to be happy with yourself and going about constantly asking for approval of others is only opening you up to criticism. So if you're vulnerable or likely to be hurt, don't post questions in an environment full of sharks that are ready to devour you.

What Guys Said 6

• It's because many girls/ women are attention seekers, we can't help it. So, many times, they just want an answer that pleases them, not really answers that tell the truth. Especially with girls/women, they start arguing the moment we say some truth that they dislike to acknowledge. And they will inflate it into a mountain. Many times, this has lead to fights and complaints that we harassed them, or that we are sexist pigs. So, why all the fuss? Just flatter them, for that's all they want. LOL

• Maybe because people are generally fishing to inflate their ego whether or not they're self conscious. By the way, if you are simultaneously asking how you look, I will answer with: I really like your nose.

• Lol no I'm not asking how I look I was just wondering because I saw A LOT of those questions today so I was just wondering what was up but thanks!

• Shouldn't asking the question once enough to get the answer you are looking for?

• Peope say that a lot I'm one of those people who ask that question very frequently but people like to acuse pretty girls of asking for attention

• yeah i don't know what people's problem with 'How I look' questions...

• Good point

What Girls Said 4

• Blame it on the people who post pictures of themselves over and over and over and over ad infinitum. You can tolerate being nice to a person about their question once but after that it starts using up you good will and there's a little less for the next person. Your patience just runs dry.

Plus, GaG is a fixing community. People see problems and they fix them and they expect you to do the same. Coming online and getting people to say things about you doesn't *fix* insecurity. If anything it feeds into it because you're (in the general sense not YOU specifically, OP) still relying on people outside of yourself to validate you. Only YOU can validate you. And GaG knows that. So we want you to get the help you need instead of playing into the problem and making it worse.

• I think it is the way they worded the question. If they just said "How do I look?" people would respect the question more but when people word it the way you did in the example it sounds like they are fishing for complements because we are "told" to feel bad and try and make them feel better about themselves.

• Yeah... I agree. I don't think everyone is looking for attention. I ask this question every once an a while because I get insecure and think other people see me as unattractive. I mean... there is a whole topic dedicated to this... if people don't want to see it they can take it out of their filter.

• I once saw a girl asking how her phone looked, and then posted a picture of her holding the phone, but wearing a bikini... Like fu attention seeker

Ehm. I answer with brutal honest on those questions. I've seen many questions like that being answered in a honest and polite way, positive answers.
    If you're going to be posting it on repeat again... I might get angry. It feels like you didn't believe me and the others