Tanning vs. Pale skin?

So I actually saw a question asking if tanning was attractive or not which makes me wonder. I can't tan due to a sun allergy so I'm super pale, which makes me feel a bit self conscious. However, I see it's very "in" to tan and almost everyone is tan. So is it weird or off putting to see someone really pale especially during the summer or does it really not matter?

Most Helpful Guy

• Whatever is the natural option is what I like.

If your skin is naturally pale/tan then I'd like that better than you having to bake in the sun for hours on end.

Most Helpful Girl

• natural skin color is best. doesn't matter if you are tan or pale..

What Guys Said 22

• The very first thing that I think of when I see an orange girl (Fake tan) is INSECURITY. It blows my mind how these girls actually think that going tanning actually makes them look better. "look better to who?" If it makes you feel more attractive then whatever i guess. in my opinion it looks horrible. I've read comments from girls that say dumb shit like "I look sick if I don't tan" or "I'm just trying to get a little color". Anyone is entitled to do whatever they want to themselves and i don't judge anyone for that but I think it looks tacky and fake.

• I like pale emo girls with black hair wearing black more than I do tan girls with bright neon underwear or bikinis etc.

Plus, skin will continue looking better further down the road in life if it has less sun damage and the collagen is still in-tact. All these girls that go tanning are going to have Florida retiree looking skin in their 30s.

• Embrace your paleness, creamy white skin is something that can differentiate from other women. That which makes you different also makes you special.

• I'm brown so when it comes to tanning I get darker and darker the longer I stay out. And I don't go back instead I stay dark.

There's really no need to feel self conscious, where I live in the UK most people aren't fussed about tanning. And it's definitely not off putting to see someone with pale skin lol.
    You should be happy as you are really, I mean you have a sun allergy. There's nothing you can do about that...

Does it get really bad when you go out? Does it burn to be in the sunlight...
    Kind of sounds like a vampire lol!

• Personally I don't like the way people look when they are tanned. I actually prefer pale girls. However, at the end of the day what matter's most is that you are happy with how you look. If people don't like you because you are pale then it's their loss.

• The pale-r that skin the better unless your natural skin tone is already tannish or whatever LOL

• Pale skin
    ,,,,,,,,,

• Tanning isn't especially health or good for you, especially if you have light skin. It damages the skin and ages it prematurely.

If you have beautiful pale skin then keep it like that, IMHO.

• Personally I don't know what this obsession people have about being tanned, to each his own I guess... I for one absolutely love pale women... and I don't see the point of deliberately exposing oneself to UV rays and getting skin cancer for just following a fad...

• Honestly I slathered myself with sun screen and stopped tanning for the last 10 years until about a month ago. Now I look at all my friends and they look 10 years older than me. So there is an advantage to staying away from tanning.

• when i see a pale person in summer if i notice i don't think anything of it but you look like a person that pale skin works for worse case scenario you get mistaken for summer vampire or that dude from powder ;p

• Tanning is terrible for your skin, and I have always found pale girls more attractive. Really.

• Pale ftw in my opinion

• Pale skin to me is beautiful.

• some pale skin women are very sexy. It doesn't matter. You pull it off well.

• Pale girls are cute.

• Porcelain skin can be sexy AF!!

• Pale skin is the best

• Don't feel bad. I don't like pale white skin or tanned pale white skin. In other words skin that lacks natural melanin. Boothed/bedded, bottled or sun burnt included.

• Some guys like pale girls more. As a lover of white girls I think it can be very attractive, but usually for brunettes or redheads. Blondes are always better tan.

• Superficial people think the skin tone matters. Others will be more concerned with the sun allergy.

• I'm not saying I wanna be tan. It's not superficial of me to feel kind of bad on how I look. Everyone has something physically they dislike. I know my body and I know what I can and can't do because if my allergy and I know how severe it gets. Asking a question on how people view tan or pale skin isn't wrong. You're thinking way too much into it.

• lol you're thinking too much into it. i never said your question was wrong, or that you were a bad person or whatever you think i said. i should have used more accurate language. here, let me do this one again:

those who are more concerned with image (the superficiality of things) will make judgements on your pale skin. don't take to heart what these people think. look to those who are occupied with your well-being, and take time to understand why you are whatever skin color you are.

to answer your question simply: it might be offputting to some, but not to others.

• also, why feel bad about something you can't change? acceptance is a far better route.

• I like a tan look, but I don't have a problem with someone who is pale.

1) tanning is proven to be bad for your health. Cuz cancer.
    2) some people do have different tolerances to UV exposure due to their skin type, so some people simply can't tan.

My solution is either be pale or to use a self-tanner (if finances permit), since you are simply staining your skin rather than exposing it to UV radiation. But you have to use a high-quality self-tanner, or none at all in my opinion--nothing looks worse than a cheap fake tan. Quality or none.

But honestly, being pale isn't a deal-breaker.

What Girls Said 2

• I like both. Olive skin is beautiful but pale skin is like porcelain, I love both.

• i hate pale, it's ugly sorry. i can't see pale people because they're block out

• They're block out?

• yea, for example in ur pic. i can't see u unless i make it close up. or if pale people are near white things or wearing white i can't see them

• but wow, ur pretty with ur paleness!