Why are people so obsessed with how good they look?

Beauty is more than skin deep.

Most Helpful Girl

• because every human wants happiness. a small part of that is being deemed attractive to the opposite [or same] sex. physical appearance establishes an initial connection. it's how society currently operates. at ur age i believe this would be obvious.

What Girls Said 7

• because people in general like good looking things...

When you go shoe shopping, if you have the money to buy a nice pair, would you rather buy the ugly pair that is on sale? You'd probably go with the nice pair...

and if the nice pair is on sale, and the ugly one is at regular price, even with all the money in the world, you'd go for the one on sale, since it's the nicer pair... right?

so you see, we in general prefer what seems nicer to our eyes... and that goes for anything, clothes, cars, houses, foods, drinks, etc... and more importantly someone who you'll have to share your life with... anyone much rather have someone they feel attraction for, as oppose to someone who is mostly ugly... that's not to say that looks is all that matters, because it's not, but appearance has a huge role in any relationship. There must be attraction of some sort. So how we look is very important! and most importantly the healthier you are, the better you'll look.

• I know. Working on that too but when I put some effort in to look good and fresh, I feel motivated in the morning or whenever.

• It's nice to maintain your looks and feel comfortable in your own skin, but what good is that if your character is ugly?

• Because of the way people treat us.

• I'm not obsessed with how good I look, I just be myself :)

• Also initial attraction is based on appearances.

• Because that's what the outside world focuses on the most. It's a social thing.

What Guys Said 11

• Appearance is obviously a lot part of why almost everyone is attracted to each other. I'm guessing you know that and are probably just ranting though.

• Because first impressions are a real thing. There's a difference between a person who takes care of themselves and presents themselves as well as they're able vs someone who doesn't respect their body. The older I get the more I think like you though, I've met so many beautiful women that are actually just terrible people and that's when you try to be more open to regular girls but ones you're still attracted to. It's understandable why it's important to people but it's one of those things you slowly gain perspective and form your own opinions on the matter.

• I understand what you mean.
    I think good looks isn't everything, but the interior neither. There should be a good balance between those two👌
    Or have both a girl that looks good and is intelligent with a good personality, but puffff thats so difficult to find👊
    Hope this helped😄👍

• Goood looks get you better jobs and more sex and healthier relationships... ugly people have it hard but a good looking person can coast through life with out much effort. Whats not to like?

• Because in the end, a woman will base her interests for you on how well you look/dress and how much money you have.

• You can't see inner beauty at first glance

• Society places a lot of value on looks. If you haven't, look into the halo effect. Basically, good looking people come off as more trustworthy and that makes people more likely to treat them better and place them higher in social ranking.

• Because that's what mainstream media whores and they're money driven sponsors tell them to do.

• Yes, but if the skin is full of warts, you won't bite ;)

• Frankly it's cause most people first spark interest in someone because they look attractive to the other person.

This is something I struggle with myself. I know it's actually my character that's holding me back, but I instinctively feel like it's my appearance and try to focus on that more than becoming more confident.

• No its not, your looks place a big part in how your percieved. If you're attractive trust me, your life is way easier than if you were the same but ugly or not so great looking instead.