Is my hairstyle considered "culture appropriation"?

So I posted a picture (see below) on Twitter and a black girl retweeted commenting "what is this mess" - when another black girl and me replied to her "it's a hairstyle" she started attacking us saying that is was "culture appropriation" because "her culture owns this hairstyle."
I replied with "So this is culture appropriation but black girls straightening and relaxing their hair isn't?" And she completely freaked out about that!
I don't get it, every time I go outside I get a lot of compliments for my hair and they're mainly by African people, my friends love the braids, too - so why was this girl so angry? Does anyone on here feel insulted by my hairstyle? Please be honest.

Is my hairstyle considered

Most Helpful Guy

• lol, i dont know what is with it with some black girls and this cultural appropriation garbage. Heard the same kind of outrage recently concerning one of the kardashians. Seriously... its your head and your hair. Nobody, and i mean nobody has a right to tell you what you can and can't do with your own hair. You will never see me telling some non black guy with cornrows that he can't wear them because its "cultural appropriation". I mean what kind of bullshit is that. As I've said in the past... the one thing people today have become really good at is finding ways to take offence to anything and everything. Black people may have come up with the hairstyle, but we don't own it. It's not some form of intellectual property. So personally if it were me, i would've told the girl to shove it... but then again im not a nice guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I think your hair looks amazing. How are you appropriating it if you're just doing what you like? It's not like it's some "sacred" hairstyle it's just common 'do and it's not that big of a deal. Appropriating culture to me is more like'acting black' think Iggy. Haters will never be happy and you don't owe them shit, not even an explanation.

What Guys Said 13

• Not to be offensive but the first thing I imagined was that you killed and skinned this:
    fusion.ddmcdn.com/kids/uploads/skunk-smell-300.jpg

• 12|3
  • Yes, I would consider it cultural appropriation. Still, you made a valid point by saying that black girls "straighten" their hair all the time, even dye it blond and such. It doesn't matter.

Also, it was very ignorant from her part to judge you anyways, you mother or father might as well be black and you identified with it (I'm sure that's not the case), but who knows... Some people are way too insecure so they have to look at what everyone else is doing to distract themselves from themselves.

• Not gonna lie but I see mostly black girls with that kind of hair style but it fits you well. Ignore that dumb bitch who got all mad at you. She's probably jealous at you cause she can't pull off the style like you did. Ignore the haters and do you. Looking good in that hair.

• Okay well thank you! Honestly I was so shocked when she was attempting to start a shitstorm at me today..

• The way I look at it - A hairstyle or a item of clothes or tattoo is fine - It is when you take something of sacred significance to a culture/religion/ethnicity then it is cultural appropriation - I remember a question before about the bindi or a cross tattoo and I considered it cultural appropriation - All you are doing is a young girl trying out a new hairstyle that is not that common among white women and by the way I think it is gorgeous.

• As a black American, I say no it's not. It is only "social appropriation" when you are mocking another culture with things such as speech and hairstyles.

As long as your intentions are pure, i have zero problems with your hairstyle culture-wise. What made u choose white out of all the secondary hair colors u could have done? :-P

• I just like monochrome styles, so especially white and black since they give a nice contrast - so you could say I did I from my fashion sakes lol

• Culture appropriation is a stupid concept. Who gives a shit but people who are looking for ways of being offended? We all appropriate stuff from other cultures, blacks too. I think the real crime here is that you dyed your redhair. THAT is a real crime LOL

• I didn't even dye it lol it's just black and white cotton braided into my hair omg 😅
      Anyways thank you!

• Actually I was thinking of dying it a bit darker after the braids come out but even then there'll probaby be some some red left in it.. T_T

et tu ne penses pas que je suis une sorcière? mdr ^^

• I guess I understand that you want to try new colors and stuff, but I find redhair to be so beautiful ! No other colors even come close to it. You've been blessed with them. Why would you want to hide them? :-)

Tu as tout ce qu'il faut pour envouter un homme, mais de la a dire que tu es une sorciere... ;-)

• I think its fine, you keep doing you gorgeous!

Side question: how do you wash your hair?

• With water and shampoo?
      Lol what did you think? The only pain is to dry it because it takes ages and gets very heavy tbh

• Haha you might see it if I update my Avi - I won't if it turns out horrendous though 😅

• With that face of an angel there's no such thing as looking horrendous.

Update us ;P

• haha a culture can own a hairstyle? that is the most absurd thing that i've heard

• It's not my thing but for what it is, its nice and looks good on you

• She sounds like an ignorant racist twat.
    Don't let it get to you.

• That is the weirdest looking person i have ever seen. Like , u want 2 be looking bad , right?

• I think it's more going against the grain. As in, I don't see that hairstyle around too often. What inspired that hairstyle?

• My friend from Nigeria actually did haha, she had a similar hairstyle and when I asked her she told me to just try and see how it looks on me - I didn't regret it until this girl attempted to start a shitstorm at me today

What Girls Said 16

• Babe it's your right to do your own thing! People who say that their ethnicity "owns" a hairstyle is completely ignorant!

Present yourself the way you want. If people hate on how you look/dress, that means you're doing something great. <3 Truuuust me!

• I think the problem is African hairstyles are often seen as unkept, dirty and unprofessional but when a white woman does it, it's fashion. Many black women have straighten their hair and have gotten weaves to adhere to society standards of beauty and to look professional. I have afro hair and I was bullied into straightening and could not find a job until I did.

I do not think it is culture appropriation. People should have the freedom to wear any hairstyle they like without people casting judgments.

• I'm black and I've never had a problem with you hair. I actually think it looks awesome on you. Please, tell that girl that if you wearing that hairstyle is rude then her wearing straight, or wavy weaves and perms is wrong too and that she can shut the fuck up.

• Dude that is so sweet.
    In a way I can see how she might get mad. Some people are just really stingy and protective of their culture and stuff. I feel the same way when I get grits and they put in like, sugar and stuff. Who does that? It's so bad. :p
    Forget her though, cuz she's prob mad you wear it better than her.
    How much did this hurt, lol?

• Aww I'm glad you think that way!
      & it was quite a pain but I went through worse things - actually the long time it took bothered me more than the pain lol 😜

• I think u look lovely nd different with it.

It is no different from a black woman/man dying her/his hair blonde or the other example u just used.

I guess she was just too sensitive about the subject. Thats why she commented negatively in the 1st place.

Some people still seem too focused on keeping everyone in its proper "place" in life.

• Thank you, honestly I felt so too but after that attack I just wasn't sure anymore..

• It's a fucking hairstyle. People need to get the fuck over themselves, and stop looking for insult where it doesn't exist. They WANT someone to be offended so they can act all fucking righteous.

You look amazing. Your hair is perfect, your makeup is fantastic, and you're stunning.

• It looks great, some people are just so filled with self loathing that they will take any oppertunity to judge someone else.

• You look so cute like that!😍

• You shouldn't listen to her. Everyone has their own style/fashion. The hair suits you really well. If you like it... you shouldn't even consider her OPINION.

• As I said earlier, screw what's "culture appropriation." It looks great!

• just looks hard to wash and dry and avoid mold growth i had ext before and i remember that even though i tried to
    dry them thoroughly the braided parts started smelling moldy and it really bothered me

• Yeah that's why I'm not gonna keep it for too long - I'll have to remove it before I go to university in the end of September anyways :)

• For some reason, this reminded me of Cruella Deville, even the red lipstick 😂
    cdn.movieweb.com/img.news/NEoD5SuQy6Rxsp_1_3.jpg

• Hahaha omg I'm not at all like her, I swear! & I looooove dogs! 😅

• I mean I got no where to go on this. Everyone else has made a skunk joke or a cruella joke. No jokes left for me._. Insulted, I do not feel such a thing.

• How did you do that? Looks like it had to be a lot of work.

• I went to an afroshop to get it done & yes it really was and they took ages for it!

• Yeah but I'm in Europe and for some reason people in America seem to get offended really quick when it comes to apparent racial stuff so I just wanted to get some more overall opinions..

• its just cuz america has a lot of race relation issues.
      if there's no one in person in your country telling you its bad, then i wouldn't listen to the people telling you it is.

• There are plenty of African people with naturally straight hair. I knew a girl in my college with naturally straight hair. I'm half black and I don't think your hair culturally appropriates black culture but I think it looks bad. I have seen better looking braids. whoever did your hair ripped you off

• How could someone feel insulted by a hair style? lol
    I personally dont care for this hair style, but hey what ever floats your boat...

• I didn't have the feeling anyone did until that girl attempted to start a shitstorm today.. Honestly I was so shocked

• Gotta learn to just ignore the stupid, there's a lot of it out there.

• Yeah true..