Do parents lie to their kids and call them attractive even if they're ugly?

Ok so i have VERY low self esteem and i have been feeling like the ugliest girl ever lately but, my parents & my friends say that i'm very pretty? Wtf i really don't believe them at ALL i mean i've never had a boyfriend , no guys show interest in me EVER and it makes me feel really ugly and insecure :( but my parents and fam tell me all the time that i look like a model and it makes me feel very confused because when i look in the mirror i don't like what i see at all and if i were to auctually look as pretty as they say then would't i be confident in myself? This is just really getting to me ! I fought with my mom yesterday night Because she told me i was ungrateful for feeling ugly and that i'm very blessed to be pretty and all this BULLSHIT i seriously don't know what to believe !! I NEED approval of others to feel good about myself & i just wanna know the truth i wanna know if i'm really as pretty as they say i am or if they're just lying cause they don't wanna hurt my feelings by the way i'm only 15 years old i put that i'm 19 but i'm really not lol!! So maybe my low self esteem could just be because i'm still a hormonal teen lmao but tell me do you think that parents lie about this stuff? Is my mom lying to me? Am i really just an ugly piece of crap? Or do they really think that i am beautiful?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I believe everyone is beautiful in their own way - We all have things that makes us special

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm like you. I can't really believe it when others tell me I'm pretty. I've had boyfriends, but that's irrelevant, and they were 3-4 years older than me. We're both just 15 and have plenty of time to have boyfriends. (Besides, most of the guys our age are pretty immature and don't really dare hit on girls and stuff.. they mature later than us.) You don't need a guy right now, you need to work on yourself. Hundreds of people can tell you you're stunning, but it won't matter if you don't agree with them. You have to seek YOUR approval, no one else's. That's when you'll feel better about yourself, that's when you'll be mature enough to have a relationship with another person. You go girl.

• Well if that's you in your profile picture you are so pretty ! & thanks so much for the advice this really made me feel better :) i'll try to be confident even though it's hard..

What Guys Said 6

• Parents don't see any uglyness in their children. It's just not something parents can see in their own kids.

• They aren't lying. Parents naturally only see the beauty in their children and don't give two shits about anything that their kid doesn't have that fits within the hollywood standard.

• I think so. My mom always tells me I'm good looking and girls would line up for me even though no girl has ever showed interest lol.

• i think you just love your kids so much, you literally can´t see if they´re ugly. if i really like a person, i can´t find her/him ugly.

• Lets not call it a "lie" because once your parents call you "attractive", it is an unconditional love.

• It's so frustrating when you tell a girl she's beautiful but she just won't take it. Like what I say or think isn't worth shit. Why do they even ask?

• You know what's equally frustrating?
      To have people tell that you're beautiful , while knowing that you don't find yourself attractive in anyway - And then you just stand in the mirror , wondering if they're lying. xD

• Well if you think the girl asking you is not attractive then don't lie and tell her that she is , the truth is better even if it hurts.

• I never lied. I would never tell a girl she is ugly.
      If I thought so, I wouldn't lie, I just wouldn't say anything...

What Girls Said 8

• Depends on your parents culture. My Caribbean mum will happily told me I have bad skin, trashy hair and fat legs at 15.

• Personally my parents will tell me if they don't like something about my appearance. Then again I have Asian parents so I don't know if that affects anything :p

• Ok. If you feel ugly, then you are ugly. Your parents try to boost your confidence but you trashed it. Block them out of your mind if you can't handle their feedback.

I dont know really because I have yet to see a picture of you to give you a better answer.

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    If a parents find them self or their partner attractive and their children resemble them, the honestly find their children attractive :)
    One man's trash is another man's treasure.

• I think We all go through that stage in our lifes, I had the exact same feeling when I was your age, now I just dont care tbh haha and I dont think your parents are lying, thats called love, is completely natural that your parents think you're beautiful (I am sure you are btw!)
    My advice: dont think about guys now! You have plenty of time, you're just 15. first, you need to love yourself the way you are, you are unique! Be confident ✌️✌️

• No my mother has been telling me most of my life. If she said you're pretty than you probably are.

• Try to post picture. We can't say to yo if you are pretty or not.. My mom tells me I am pretty too, but sometimes she tells me "don't wear this shirt you look like a idiot" If you have full lips and big eyes there is big chance you are atractive.

• Are you a Chinese girl?

• So you're saying if i don't have full lips and big eyes then i am ugly? WOW ok.. Thanks for the help?

• I said, if you have these feautures there is big chance you are pretty, most likely. You didn't showed your picture so how should I know how do you look. And if you want to hear truth, girls with big eyes and full lips are most attractive for guys. You won't change that. I mean normal lips with pretty curves.. They find it really attractive. Well I don't know how you look.. You should post picture. It's bad you call yourself ugly.. You should find your qualites and that might raise your confidence.

• Trust me, you'd know if this was the case depending on how they look when saying it, and their tone of voice that they use if they happen to be lying. But parents saying this, is because they obviously see something in you that you can't see yourself. But when I was 15, I went though what you had. But, I was constantly covering myself up. My parents always told me I was attractive, and I didn't believe them, and now as the years went on, I have a lot of people tell me that i'm gorgeous. But in the meantime, you really need to find ways to boost your self-esteem. Trust me, everyone is beautiful in their own way, and there is someone out there for everyone regardless of whether you are attractive not.