How pretty do you have to be to become a model?

So I really want to become a model, but how pretty do you have to be to become one? I know I'm pretty (sounds conceited, but well yeah). But like out of 10? Because I'm considering getting a scouting... But I don't know if I'm 'beautiful' enough. And I'm not gonna post a picture, sorry but personal reasons.

Most Helpful Guy

• it depends on whether we're talking part time or full time, agency repped girls are definitely a higher caliber, many girls can get paid, but mostly by amateurs trying to build their port.

these are 2 girls who modeled for me that i know were trying to get signed but never did. so in order to get agency representation, which is really the only way to do it full time unless you get semifamous, you have to be reasonably hotter than these girls
    flightspace. co/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/53c8e1fcc6b21. jpg
    flightspace. co/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ilona_viktorovna_by_benhinman-d5jpp7i. jpg

check the agencies for the kind of girls they're looking for cause each one is different, but even if you can't get repped there is still money to be made from the portfolio building market, just understand that you're probably going to make most of your money through "GWCs" which is a derogatory term for "guys with cameras" in other words, perverts and mouth breathers pay the most and if you want to work with real artistic talent YOU may have to pay THEM. the other thing you should probably be aware of is that the modeling industry is a catty superficial nightmare filled with cliques, pandering and big egos, thats why i left. there's not so much new money and jobs coming into the industry as there is a circulation of the same money as they pay each other to be "worthy" to be in each others presence. modelmayhem is full of trolls who rule the vast expanse of people trying really hard to say the most generic non-sexual comments possible lest they be ousted by a kangaroo court of volunteer moderators, everyone jacks off each others egos with lines like "comment for comment", like its a competition to see who can pander the hardest. its a real shitshow. i know this dude who used to work as a staff photographer for playboy and now he can't even find work cause he keeps getting underbid by amateurs.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 16

• I'd say it's close to impossible, depends what they look for sometimes they go for ridiculous figures and super symmetrical faces. Other times they like specific quirks like a gap in the teeth or big eyes, sometimes just looking a bit alien. Thing is that so many people attempt to do it and almost none of them become models i'd say most famous models get scouted they don't attempt to become models themselves.

• The amount of people who make it in the modelling industry is quite small so you definitely would have to have a look. I won't lie but it could be as high as 9.75 plus /10

• You need to be about 5 ft 9 I think... get there first

• First models are not afraid to post pictures... that right there makes me wonder already

Second to make it to model status, you have to basically get looked at very often... not just your friends and family and honey guys... but genuinely the majority of people won't be able to take their eyes off you

You'd probably know if your that good looking or not... you also have to be a certain body size and a certain height

• I think it's more to do with body style and poise

• Most models arnt actually particularly attractive. Really its the bodyshape they are looking for. As tall as possible while still off the bottom of the size charts.

• You dont need to be pretty to model I've seen tons of ugly girl models they just have the right bone structure and most are anorexic, where I'm from at least

• Probably more than beautiful you need to have the aura and personality of a model... I think that you can develop with time. Having an aesthetic face would also be helpful, I think fashion industry is not need very skinny size zero models these days... I think you should send your portfolio and pictures to some modelling agencies so that they can tell you whether you have that look or not

• you don't have to be pretty, you just have to look unique.

• Tall and anorexic nothing to do with being pretty

• Pretty just like me😜😍

• Actually it is about being pretty it is about being bold and daring to be a model.

• you have to be beautiful, i mean look at me for an example

• You need to be a 7 out of 10, tall and very thin.

If you're a short 8, forget it.

While there are other types of modelling, they are niche work. standard modelling agencies recruit tall and thin, because they don't need to bother having many girls of other shapes under contract, since there are enough pretty tall and thin girls to send out for requests for runway or catalog or whatever.

If you're not tall and thin, you need to be basically a 10, carry your size unusually well, and even then it's questionable.

• models are overrated they are portayed as too skinny yuck most guys don't like that

• You're going to ask if you can model, and then not show what you look like? That's like miss America Putting on its show, with none of the women

What Girls Said 11

• You just have to make sure you stick out from the mass - like having something special about you, it's definitely a bonus if you're also quite tall 5'9" (and up) and your measurements should be around the typical 90/60/90 (cm) - although many brands now require a little less in bust.
    But please don't think modelling is easy money because it will be exhausting, kill your feet, kill your eating habits, take up a lot of your free time, most runway jobs (yes, talking about the designer ones) won't bring you more than 100-200€ and your self confidence is very likely to suffer a lot. So really think about if you're willing to make this sacrifice too.. & good luck!

• Depends on what kind of model you want to become. Runway model or magazine model? High-end or like... H&M? The more low-key the brand/image, the less "pretty" you have to be (although you still have to be thin and tall at least, unless you're going to be a plus size model). You can't really put a number on it since it varies a lot/it's subjective and totally depends on who's looking for what type of model.

Anyway, most famous models aren't bland looking. Not necessarily pretty, but they look interesting and know how to work the camera.

Remember that the modeling industry is absolutely brutal and will tear you down physically and mentally. For real. I'm not kidding. It's not as glamorous as you might think. That's exactly why Cara Delevingne quit, one of the most famous current (ex) models. She got sexually harassed by photographers and such too. Think long and hard before stepping into that business. It's shit.

• I've seen some models who were rather ugly. They work with tons of makeup on, their hair is usually not even their natural hair (whether it be just the color or the actual hair). The only thing that they all have in common is that they're all stick thin and damn tall (all in the stilettos they walk in and whoa). So, if you fit into the skinny category with ribs literally poking out, then you're good to go.

• Then again, there are different types and categories of modelling which would have different requirements. Say you wanted to model for a toothpaste ad. Naturally, you'll have to have perfect teeth. You want to model for makeup? That's where facial symmetry comes into play. Want to be a sports model? Well obviously you'll have to have the physique. Your question is very vague.

• You don't have to be pretty but you have to have a thin and tall body.

• I think an unique look much more preferable than a beautiful face. Of course beauty is important but there are many beautiful girls so you need to be different than others.

• You r beautiful just the way you are! No matter what you look like you are beautiful, but 8 maybe

• in my opinion modeling is all about height and not a pretty face much has to do more with being photogenic being able to expressive with your face

• Are you at least 5'8 and above? If not, you can't qualify.

• Honestly it's more about your height, weight and how unique your features are more than beauty

• The key is to have an interesting look, not be pretty. There are models out there who some people would conside ugly.

Only VS and Sports Illustrated, and catalog type models have to be conventionally pretty.

• You need to be super super thin. Like you talking runway modeling?

• That's not obrigatory. The tendency now is to work with a more "natural" girl body. And depends the people that she work too.

• @OrangeBoy Ohh ok, thank you for correcting me :)