Why are the English so white?

I dont mean this in a offensive way either but i recently travelled to England for the first time and i noticed that a lot of the English people that i saw there was very white, id the majority of the English people i saw had very porcelain skin and it got me thinking why that might be? Im from Brazil so seeing so many extremely white people was very different from what im used too, is it something to do with the weather and how cold it can get over there sometimes?
Again i don't mean to offend anyone im not suggesting that porcelain skin is a bad thing

Most Helpful Girl

• It's overcast most of the time in the UK. Lack of sunlight makes those paler. Some go to tanning beds or do self tanning, while others embrace the pale. I personally embrace it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Majority of the sunlight hits the equator, the farther north/south you travel from the equator the less sunlight is beaming down on you, which means the less brown/tan people you'll meet. Also the UK's 24/7 cloudy weather sure doesn't help matters either.

One thing that I believe most people don't realize about the UK is just how far north it is. If you were to move the entire island of the UK westward towards North America, it would hover over 49 states of the U. S along with every major city in Canada. From a latitude standpoint it would be almost closer to Alaska. So with that in mind, it becomes perfectly clear as to why the English are so white.

What Girls Said 7

• They come from white ancestors. Skin tones have mutated based on latitude, meaning the closer to the equator the darker the skin tone, which means their ancestors were indigenous to a place far enough from the equator that their skin mutated into the pale shade that you see.

• We have barely any sun in England, unfortunately, so none of us are able to tan. Honestly, even us tanning is probably just considered pale in lots of other places too. We're just not able to get any darker because we lack sunlight.

• Because a lot of English people are of either Celtic or Anglo-Saxon descent and those people just tended to have paler skin. Something to do with how their skin needed to reflect UV based on where they lived

• One of my guy friends told me "Girl, I'm going to be as tanned as you are ;) " and I was like "Man even if you stay out naked in England whole day you won't be tanned like me ;) " :D hahahahahaha.

• There's no sun, the only tans around are fake ones

• Yep they very white, they only see the sun in pictures

• Id assume its something to do with the climate there too, but i do agree with you im from Spain and when i first went to England i noticed there was very very white people it seemed that the white English there was VERY white there wasn't much "in between" i did see some tanned people but it looked like they had used fake tan, i guess that's where the "english rose" stereotype comes from

What Guys Said 9

• Its mainly to do with the weather, but you do see other English, or i should say British, people of whom are of a different ethnicity, and really it depends where you go, places further from the capital tend to have less diversity, but yes, mainly to do with the weather

• because it is always cloudy i think.

but his skin is nice to me.

img.bollywoodsargam.com/.../..._smiling_615231.jpg

• The weather is not that sunny in UK

• The father north you go, the weaker the sunlight is due to the angle of the atmosphere.

On top of that, it's an island and its position in the Atlantic current means it gets tons of clouds and rain to block the sun.

• umm, it rains a lot, and it rarely gets hot, same with people in baltic countries though we are a bit warmer than those.

• Because we're notoriously short of sun. The UK is pretty far north so when it is sunny the sun's not all that strong. You'd find the same phenomenon in Scandinavia and other places that are further north.

• why are Africans so black? duh...

• It isn't very sunny in the UK

• there is less sun so people are not exactly tanned