You know what really grinds my gears? People that say looks don't matter... So, you mean, you would date a person you are not attracted to?

Excuse my post, I get so irritated by those comments of, looks don't matter. There has to be some kind of physical attraction. I believe looks are not the only thing a person needs to attract a mate but they are a essential part.

Most Helpful Guy

• Exactly, it's agitating when people write bullshit on here. Attractive people are the most desirable, and less attractive people have a much harder time dating. That goes for both men and women. Physical features and looks are 90 percent of dating. Hygiene and personality do matter, but if you don't have decent looks you won't have a shot to begin with.

• At first, I thought you were being sarcastic. But, yeah I agree, you have to be attracted to the person physically.

• @asker Not at all, I was being serious lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• looks do matter. You have to be physically attracted to someone to make it work.

What Guys Said 19

• Yeah, I think you can pretty much ignore people who say looks don't matter. They're either lying to you or to themselves.

• What people mean is that to them, looks don't matteras much as personality does. Of course, there must be a certain attraction, but he/she doesn't have to be the most beautiful around. As long as you can look at them and not barf I guess...

• Looks are THE most important to START a relationship, while personality can SUSTAIN the relationship. Good Looks are like movie tickets. Even if the movie (that is, personality) is great, only people with tickets (good looks) are allowed into the cinema hall.

Sad but true. Personality without looks mean jack shit.

• Ok so check this out... I'll debunk this theory in a few sentences

Looks matter to everyone, even the ones that say it doesn't... why? Because

Personality and character are both illustrated through facial expressions... so to say only personality matters doesn't make sense... because personality is translated through human expression, which in turn IS physical

Looks always matter

• But I must say regardless, there is a part of personality that is not exhibited through looks...

My first girlfriend ever, I spoke to her for 4 months before I even met her... I already liked her before I know what she looked like... fourtunately for me, she was a gymnast and very hot

• Looks are a part but not the essential part - Personality a million times more important.

• Looks will get you in the door. Personality will keep you in the house.

Looks are important. Like Fletcher Reede says in Liar Liar, "That's just something ugly people say."

In reality, that's what it is but the ugliness is on the inside. All of this feel-good bad advice is nothing more than anti-competitive backbiting. Men get different messages that amount to the same thing.

• One more thing. You can't fix your looks with make-up. You can fix it with diet and exercise. Mostly exercise. Yeah, I'm sorry to tell you, but the one thing that takes the most effort yields the best results.

• True! Exercise and diet is key.

• I agree. I dont know about anybody else but i dont look at someone i find unattractive and say "oh wow theyre really ugly. im going to ask them out anyway" Yeah personality should matter most when you're in a serious relationship. But people dont usually approach ones they find unattractive to ask them for their number. That means they care about looks.

• I dated a woman who wasn't that attracted and she was the sweetest woman I met. I think about her more than thinking about an attractive ex.

• So why aren't you still with her if she's the sweetest women you ever met :/ lol

Huh ha sure

• My son mom made it hard for me to see my child because I moved on. I didn't have the money for the lawyer so I gave in.

• Looks matter to me. Imma tell you straight up. Along with a lot of other things so it isn't just all bout looks. She can be the finest bitch I've ever seen but if she has a stank attitude (Draya), that can make you real ugly.

• Looks DO matter. But they shouldn't matter MORE than personality.

• Looks don't matter TO ME

• I see exactly what you mean.

• You get an up vote for quoting Peter Griffin.
    ..

• Physical attraction definitely needs to be part of the equation, but shouldn't be 80% of the attraction pie.

• one doesn't have to be a beauty all she has to have is attractive face

• only if she's fun
    otherwise whats the point

• Sounds like what Louis CK said about Ugly People in his stand up routine and I agree for the most part. Yet I think that given time and location all physical attraction can be bypassed with ease, comfort and trust.

• Looks are a very small part. You can fall in love with someone just by spending lots of time with them. it happens. Looks are just a bonus

• Sure. When you're younger looks matter a lot more. As you mature, the truth of the statement becomes more clear. You can live with a fabulously physically gorgeous person that is an intolerable asshole. You're not gonna care how they look after awhile. You could live with a very loving, caring and personable mate who has average looks. Again, in time you'll care more about them than how they look. Some younger folks realize that earlier than others.

• True indeed, but I was not talking about an already established relationships. I was referring to the people that make this statement who are either single or giving advice to someone single. I understand looks are not everything and they fade, however, they do play a big part in attracting a mate. This was my whole point, looks do matter when you are trying to attract someone. Not everyone taste is the same, a person that you find attractive someone else will not, bottom line, looks matter.

• No, I did say what some may find attractive others want. However, looks do play a part. Near in appearance and good hygiene are apart of looks, in my book. I am not saying you must be good looking to find someone. I am saying looks/appearance does matter. There is something about that person that caught your eyes, that made you want to get to know them better. I. E. looks matter. Just same as, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You are not going to notice someone as a potential mate, if you don't see them as attractive.

What Girls Said 7

• Yeah, mutual attraction is really important. I wouldn't say this is a shallow thing to admit, either -- it's just the honest truth.

Sometimes people may say, "Looks don't matter!" in order to help an insecure person feel better about herself, as well as emphasize the importance of a beautiful personality. When people say that line, I think what they really mean is that looks *shouldn't* matter. Even though it's a nice sentiment, the reality is that there's a whole biology to human attraction.

Looks do indeed matter, but the good news is that different people find different looks attractive. Personality and chemistry are also super important.

• A lot of times, the people who say this are people who are hurt by the fact that somebody they like isn't physically attracted to them. I had a guy get angry at me that I wasn't attracted to him yet he only approached me (which he admitted) because I was attractive.

• to a degree, yes~ of course, physical attraction is definitely part of the package. however, i think what people mean to say is that they have other priorities.

for example, my other half is the whole package. he's smart, funny, charming, respectful, a great kisser... i could fill a novel with his good qualities, though the fact that he's cute (like, really cute) is just an added bonus.

if he weren't so cute, i'd probably still be attracted to him because he has the qualities i look for in a person (i choose my friends the same way, and i'm not physically attracted to them in any way).

judging someone based solely on his or her physical appearance is shallow, and it's easy to miss out on a great guy or girl just because s/he doesn't fit your dream profile. personally, i would prefer an average person who could make me laugh and hold an intelligent conversation over a hot, rich one with the personality of cardboard... and that's just how i roll.

• When I say looks do not matter what I am trying to say is that they don't matter to me as much as they matter to other people and that I won't date somebody simply because they are good looking. It does not mean I will date an ugly person but it means I will not date somebody simply because he is extremely good looking.

• Nope.. Yesterday at school our teacher, she's awesome, was asking us as a class a bunch of questions and she asked all the guys would they rather date the smart girl or the hot girl.. They said the smart girl and I LITTERATLY said aloud LIARS!!
    ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/.../...d-6862-1442302259-11.gif

• Looks do matter somewhat.

• How do you think blind people date...

• Theyre obviously talking about people who can see

• They still can determine if a person is attractive, their eyes are not the only thing they can judge attraction by, they can use their hands and also the person's voice.