Why do most people consider a 7/10 in looks as average?

Shouldn't it be like a 5/10 in reality? I personally believe few people are 6's let alone 7's. 7 > is rare in my opinion. I'm guessing it's because people have different scales?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because it's not a symmetrical bell curve. Girls are not evenly distributed across the range of 1-10. Girls are good looking. Meaning that MOST girls are good looking. So even an average girl is good looking. In my opinion even a below average girl is good looking. So the average is not 5, it's more like 7.

I hope that explanation made sense. I'm kinda tired. :)

Most Helpful Girl

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 9

• They see it like school scores (at least here in the US) a 7/10 is a C which is average so they probably see it that way.

• Oh I see, here 7/10 is a B, so that's probably why I think differently.

• My biggest gripe about the rating system is that everyone has different values for the numbers.

• There's no universal scale.
    Here's mine
    1 - You're a dude right?
    2 - That's one ugly chic
    3 - Ew please get away from me
    4 - Below average
    5 - Average
    6 - Slightly above average
    7 - Above average
    8 - Hot
    9 - Let's fuck
    10 - Jaw drops

• If you rated a movie a 5/10 would it be an average movie?

5/10 would be mediocre not necessarily bad but nothing special, if your rating a girl a 5 then she wouldn't be worth mentioning.

• It depends what category of people are considered to be in your rating values

Are you including models and miss universe beauty pageants... or just everyday normal people

• i say the same thing about my grades :/

• Math too hard.

• Yes, some people think of it as dividing a population up into 10 classes with 10% in each and some use a logarithmic scale, like that used to measure earthquakes where the incidence of each higher number becomes less.

• everyone has a different scale personally I think of a 1 as being an average looking person. In the military we had our own system.

Marine = ugly
    Army = okay
    navy = hot
    air force = DAMN!

What Girls Said 5

• No, because half isn't necessarily an average. An average is a total of sums, divided by the number of sums. 50 % in most cases is failing, 70% is bare minimum of passing passing.

• People don't like giving other people ratings below 5, especially to their faces.
    And therefore, the whole scale shifts upward, so that instead of a 1-10 scale, it turns into a 5-10 scale, where 5 is ugly and 7 is squarely in the middle.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourPointScale

• u think few people r 6? so what's a 7 to u?

• Everybody has different scales.

• translated into letter grades a 7/10 is a 70%, which is a C. So yes, average...

• Damn American schools grading system is harsh..