Do looks really matter (Social experiment with pictures)?

As much as we try to deny it, in this society looks seem to matter more than we'd like to admit. We are all human, and we tend to make judgments based on what we see. Sure, after we get to know someone those snap judgments might change but would you get to know someone if they didn't come off well in the beginning? As a sociology project, here are pictures of two different women and a list of questions to answer strictly based on their appearance. (If interested I will update later and give details on each girl to see if those initial decisions were correct or not.)

Girl A:
Girl B:

1. Which one of these women drinks and/or goes to more parties?
2. Which one of these women is in a relationship? (Both of them are straight)
3. Which of these women is a college student?
4. Which of these women looks more friendly?
5. Which of these women would you approach, to ask on a date or just start a conversation?

If you take the time to answer these it will be much appreciated! Thank you so much!

Thank you to everyone who answered! The answers have been a mixture from everyone but what a great experiment to have such variety! The real answers for the first three questions are:
1: A goes to parties and drinks, B goes to parties but doesn't ever drink. (Due to religion)
2: A is in a relationship, B is not.
3: B is in college, A is not.

As for the last two, there are no real answers but both are friendly, wonderful people!:)
Thanks again!

Most Helpful Guy

• I think looks matter more than personality. Id say its like 55% looks 45% personality. If you're really good looking, you are golden as long as your personality is at least average ( not a jerk/bitch , not stupid or really boring). I genuinely believe you're better off being above average looking with an average personality than being average looking with an above average personality.

Actually due to something referred to as "the halo effect" if you are really attractive and have an average personality, the fact that you're really good looking can make people perceive your personality traits as better than if you were just average looking. Also you potentially get away with more things. People often tolerate behavior/ overlook flaws in attractive people that they wouldn't tolerate/overlook in less attractive people.

Most Helpful Girl

• 1. B
    2. B
    3. A
    4. A
    5. A

What Guys Said 33

• 1. A goes to more parties, B drinks more.
    2. Both are seeing people.
    3. Both are in college.
    4. They both look friendly, I could probably do well talking about nerdy, science stuff with A. I'd have to hope B may be an RN.
    5. A is probably more down to Earth, a gal who listens to Cake, doesn't have to worry about proving herself 'cause she has tomboyish practices. B: I feel bad for B. Invested, "pretty" women probably deal with the most lies from men.

• Interesting, why would you make the assumption B is a nurse? And why do you feel B would have to put up with more lies?

• From some of the delicate dames I've met, they tend to learn humility faster, help the wounded, elderly out of the muck, and see people outside of extravagance much more easily when they're in a caregiver capacity. When they're actually pretty, they can be a bit worked over from all the bs they encounter from dudes. Then dudes will say what they can or resent them like some Commie pescatarian.

It's all the same thing, girls chase boys, chase girls.

• 1. Which one of these women drinks and/or goes to more parties?
    A

A

B

A

A

• I got first 2 right.
    Third one wrong.
    I said A for 4
    I said B for 5

• It has been shown that people are program to associate good traits/ignore bad personality traits initially for someone who is prety. W hile doing the opposite for an ulgy person.

In short good looking people are perceived as good people. While bad looking people are perceived as being horrible human beings. It's all indoctrinated back to DISNEY programming where good looking people are the heroes while the bad people are usually ugly.

What i'm getting at personality =look initially it's only after giving someone a chance to show you there character, or spending enough time with them can your perception change.

• 1. A
    2. A
    3. A
    4. B
    5. B

• 1. A (Don't think I can't see you, red solo cup in the background ;) )
    2. A (I see you too, flowers)
    3. A
    4. B
    5. B

• 1) 2
    2) None
    3) Both
    4) 2
    5) 2

The only ones that I know for sure are 4) and 5) because it's a subjective opinion, the other 3 is just an assumption.

• 1. a for sure, she looks tired and has dark circles ( drinking causes that )
    2. a
    3. a
    4. b
    5. b

• 1. BOTH THEIR CAUCASIAN

2. BOTH. CAUCASIANS DON'T LIKE BEING SINGLE

3. BOTH CAUCASIANS DON'T WANT A MAN TAKING CARE OF THEM

4. COME ON BOTH ARE CAUCASIAN

5. NONE THEIR CAUCASIAN. I'D HAVE TO BE A HIGH STANDARD TO EVEN LOOK AT THEM.

• 1-4 is both/even to me, tbh. #5 Really depends. I'm usually a bloody coward when it comes to that sort of shite. So... which ever one I felt was more approachable would be more likely for me to ask on a date.

Sorry but these questions are mute and pointless. You cannot a person's life by a couple of pics.

• Looks do matter. Learned it in my psych class.

But yeah to answer your questions, well:

1) Girl B; seeing an attractive lady with makeup will make me assume that she parties. It's like a schema that's instilled in my subconscious.
    2) Girl B. Same reason.
    3) Girl A. Not as pretty=More nerdy
    4) Girl A because she is more attractive. Most if not all of us do this 😂
    5) Girl B.

• Looks matter. Just the way it is.

• Girl b, for number 1
    Girl a for number 2
    Girl a for number 3
    Girl a for number 4
    Girl a for number 5 simply because I think there is a higher chance she would engage in the conversation

• 1. Girl B
    2. Girl B
    3. Can't tell
    4. Girl A
    5. Can't tell. I tend to go for less good looking grls. So, girl A.

• Well i dont think iv judged someone with those type of questions based on looks

You can never tell... looks matter for attraction yes of course.. but sure lets play

ABBBA

• Look matter. If you give me happy face vs frown, what you Think. Here my guess

1. picture b party more
    2. Picture in relationship
    3. A is college student
    4. B more friendly but she two face.
    5. I would talk to a because she real not a fake

• 1,2,3,4 -- no idea. I would prefer to date 5. They may be the same girl, they have the same chin.

• Neither are cute.
    1 a 2 don't know 3 a 4 a, but a fake friendly, 5 neither

• 1- a i guess.
    2- ?
    3- a, maybe b
    4- a i guess
    5- b

• its not fair cause their both pretty.

• both girls need to lose weight.

• a, b, a, a, b - anything for science!

• Neither of them are that hot

• yes, they do. anybody who says is otherwise is dopey..

• They look the same to me.

• i like A better

• 1 A
    2 A
    3 A
    4 A
    5 B

• 1. A
    2. B
    3. A and B
    4. B
    5. B

• My answer to the first 4 is "I haven't a clue just by looking them". The 5th. Based on looks, i wouldn't approach either.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 7

• I've always said looks matter. Personality is important but like you stated, who would stay long enough to get to know the person on that level if they aren't initially attracted to them physically?

If I was a guy I'd answer as so:

1. B (Could be both but B looks like a social person who likes big groups.)

2. A (This is tricky because it could easily be both. A looks like she wouldn't be picky in the boyfriend department.)

3. A (Books on the book shelf in the background. Doesn't prove anything but...)

4. A (Both look friendly but A looks like she'd be open to new people approaching her.)

5. B

• 1. Which one of these women drinks and/or goes to more parties? Both could.
    2. Which one of these women is in a relationship? (Both of them are straight) - Both of them could be.
    3. Which of these women is a college student? - Both, neither, I don't know.
    4. Which of these women looks more friendly? - A
    5. Which of these women would you approach, to ask on a date or just start a conversation? - B

• 1. B
    2. B
    3. Could be both. I can't really choose.
    4. I think they both look friendly.
    5. B since she looks more stable in a way.

• 1. B
    2. Both
    3. Both
    4. A
    5. A

• 1. b
    2. both, but a
    3. a
    4. b
    5. b

• 1. Girl B.
    2. Girl A.
    3. Girl A.
    4. Girl A.
    5. Girl A to start a conversation (if I were a guy I'd ask girl B out on a date because I think she's more physically attractive).

• A
    B
    A
    A
    B