Am I considered 'white'?

I always get confused by this. I was born in America but, I have Italian, Spanish and Lebanese blood.

...
by the way, personally, I couldn't care less what I 'am' I just never know what to respond to people who ask :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Not all Caucasians are pale "white" skinned. Long, long ago Spaniards/Portuguese and Italians were not considered to be "white" because they're skin was siomewhat darker being in "Southern Europe". Obviously that changed probably when scientists/anthropologists (?) decided to group people into "races" by skull type and other physical features. So your factually Caucasian and you happen to have white skin. Not all Caucasians are white skinned. Just like not all Negroes are "black" skinned and not all Mongol race (Asians) are "yellow" skinned.

White, black, yellow are not scientific labels for races. Caucasian, Negro and Mongol are, but aren't used as much. Humans prefer the more slang and limiting labels. Yeah, you're "white" also. But look how limiting that label is. "White" potentially leaves out those Caucasians who are darker, because it's just a color. Like "Black" would leave out many, many Negroes who are among the many shades lighter than black, from cocoa brown to pale. As with "yellow" excluding many Mongol race peoples who are darker to near black and lighter to pale than yellow. But the physically more descriptive scientific labels Caucasian, Negro and Mongol include all the varying skin colors (especially among Negroes and Mongols whose skin colors vary greatly run the full spectrum of skin colors).

While your cultural and ethnic backgrounds may be mixed, your race is not.

Do people question you on your race? They ask, what race you are? Or what color? I know some people get that a lot, but they usually have physical feature that makes then stand out as not ordinarily of a particular race. But you clearly look like what you are.

Just one more thing, and you probably know this already. Your racial and ethnic roots make you WHAT you are. Can't change that. But WHO you are is determined by YOU and you have full control over that. And WHO you are is far more important than WHAT you are. 😊

• They do. I really don't care. I was just curious as to what to say. Thanks for answering.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say @BreatheMe: White American.
    I was born in the USA but I have many different nationalities such As: German, French, dDutch, Irish, Polish and English.
    Good luck, Good looking. xx

What Guys Said 14

• You'd want to answer "yes" to being white. It's really more of a term to separate us from black (african american), brown (mexican), and yellow (asian).
    And it's really unfortunate that the question even comes up. WHY on surveys does it ask to begin with? Why does it matter?
    If you turned everyone inside-out, we'd all be exactly the same... inside-out and gross looking. Even though we've labeled them, do you think squirrels go around saying, "Oh your a black squirrel and I'm a red one... and Fred over there, he's brown."
    Oh well... such is the world. But to answer your question (unless you had a more scientific blood/DNA test done to determine you most dominant ethnicity), you'll just have to settle for white (based on straight-up appearance).
    Hell... say you're peach and start another category.
    I will say though... you delicately fall into the beautiful category... that's for sure!

• Lol, I honestly don't know. Personally, I couldn't care less. Thanks by the way :)

• People put way too much emphasis on labels you are an individual with a mixed ethnic back ground. If you feel the need to “fit in” pick the culture you are most comfortable with.

• No I really don't care but when people ask im never sure what to say

• I guess the easy answer is that you are a mut. It is still kind of an ignorant question for them to ask in the first place.

• You'd be considered Caucasian or Mediterranean. You don't look particularly dark.

I am Sicilian I could be considered Mediterranean or Caucasian as well.

• Cool. So when people ask you what you are what do you say?

• Lol oh.. Well you're 100% a "babe" 😉

• Haha thank you 😘

• You look white in your profile

• You look white to me. Awesomely flexible too!

• That's a nice mix of cultures... I suppose you could refer to yourself as Mediterranean... as far as appearances go, I would describe you as Caucasian, or white...

• Yes, You are caucasian, Spanish, italians, and the lebenese (middle easterners are caucasian look it up.) Are caucasian.

• Well Italian, Spanish and Lebanese people can still be white... so yes you are most definitely "while"

• Do you mean white as in skin tone?

• no I mean Caucasian... probably Lebanese people might not be considered that but indigenous Spanish and Italian people are Caucasians/white...

• Interesting. Thanks.

• Yes Italian, Spanish, and Lebanese people are all Caucasian. Therefore, you are white. (and hot)

• No your not 'white' but your white skinned

You could say caucasian or european and middle eastern

• Isn't Caucasian white? Lol

• Awesome 😊

• Caucasian doesn't have to be white. People from India and Arabs are caucasian too, but they aren't as 'white' as Europeans. But yeah, you look white.
      Spanish and italian people are white too

• It's white, since you don't have black in you.

• I think so

• White enough, I suppose.

Does it matter?

• You definitely look white. As for consideration, no idea. Get your blood tested and whichever DNA is the superior one, consider that your origin.

• Don't most Italians and Spaniards look white though?

• I don't think Spaniards are considered white. I'm not exactly sure though.

• Hmm.. me personally, I have always considered Italian people as Italian people, like they are their own nation, and the online definition for a Spaniard is "a native or inhabitant of Spain, or a person of Spanish descent.", so I wouldn't necessarily call those two backgrounds "white". I simply just call them Italian and Spanish. But you asked if they look white, I do not think so. Not white like an average American white person at least.

What Girls Said 3

• Lol I wouldn't really call you white in comparison with me. I'm a fucking vampire.

• Yes. Even if you're skin is not white, in America you would be considered white.

• You are not white, you’re multiracial. I don’t know what confused or unknowledgeable person is calling you white but if the KKK decide to go on a killing spree, you’ll be included. :/ Awesome mix though!

• Hahah yeah, I also have jewish in me so they'd really go at it. And thanks :)

• So... what is her racial mix, then? And based on what? I've missed something here. Help me out please.

• Gojira uhhhmm why don't you ask HER since it's her racial mix you're inquiring about