I look really ugly on video and in pictures?

So whenever someone takes a picture of me or video's me (expected or unexpected all turn out weird) I always look really different than when I take a selfie, look in the mirror, look at myself through the webcam (or even put down a camera and film myself).

When someone else takes the picture I look like a fucking walrus? (my face is all fat and just ugh) but If i take the picture myself or even look through the front camera of my phone this is not the case?

Is there any way I can figure out how I really look?

Most Helpful Guy

• This is called mere exposure effect. Mirrors and phone front cameras work like a mirror, they reverse your image. So in your mind, your reference of how you look like is your reversed image, because you got used to that image. but in reality when someone takes an ordinary picture of you, that's how you really look like. But is not as bad as you think it is, to your eyes it will look deformed because your mind already has a reference of how you think you look like which is your reversed image, a contradiction happens. To the eyes of your friends it will look normal cause that's how they see you everyday, not your mirror image. In fact if they see your mirror image they might think it's ugly and deformed. One way to get rid of this effect is to take a lot of ordinary pictures of yourself and just look at them, little by little your mind will start getting used to it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Practice in front of the mirror. I got sick of looking horrifically unphotogenic in pictures, so I went in front of the mirror and practiced smiling and making different expressions. For example I realized that when I smile too hard my eyes crease and in photos it makes me look like I blinked instead. :/ So yeah, a bit of practice to get a feel for how to smile without squinting my eyes and making people retake the picture over and over.

Just play to your strengths. Take a look at yourself and think about what your best features are. And again practice a little so in the future you know how to pose and such when someone's taking a picture of you.

What Guys Said 7

• Look in the mirror. That's exactly how you look, but inverted. Some people are just not photogenic. Eva Green, who is a french actress, is very beautiful, but I find she is really not photogenic. Every candid picture she is on looks bleh. That doesn't mean she is not an incredibly beautiful woman...

• It's all in your head. You feel comfortable and positive when you're taking pictures on your own but you're afraid of ugliness when it's someone else making you see yourself negative.

• you're simply not photogenic. no big deal.

• The reason you don't look the same in pics other people take is usually because you take a front view and they take a side view. Not many people look good from the side. Also if you are not expecting the picture, your face in repose might not look so smiley.

To see how you really look, use a 360 degree mirror, or alternatively video record yourself.

• To be fair A walrus is kinda cute

• you're not the only one, child

• It means you are ugly.

What Girls Said 1

• Haha, that's funny, I feel the same way, I look way better in person then in stupid pics, however I find that I too take amazing pics of myself, tho I'm not a fan of selfies bc it makes me feel all too vain and superficial ( my face never looks fat tho, impossible) just not a picture person, amazing photographer, got that eye for the arts!