Is looking fake really a bad thing?

I've been improving a lot my makeup skills and learnt how to contour really well, do complicated eye makeup, apply fake lashes, nice matte lips... And I feel amazing and really confident. Thing is, people often judge a lot people with this kind of makeup, because it's "fake". Why is it so wrong though? What's the harm?

Here's an example of this "fake" look:

Is looking fake really a bad thing?

Most Helpful Guy

• If that is what you are happy looking like there is nothing wrong with it. In fact if it boosts your confidence so much it has advantages. The downside comes from relying on it and not being comfortable with how you really look. It is also a pretty massive turn off for a lot of guys.

Most Helpful Girl

• I, personally, feel like it's more of a 'going out' look. But I don't think you can call it fake because everyone knows that your make up is to make you look/ feel a little different, or show a different side to your personality. It's obviously not what you look like without make up- but that's the point. It's not fake at all.

• Oh yeah it's definitely for going out :) thanks for the support haha

• Yea I agree.
      Plus I don t see this makeup as over.
      Everyone I know does her makeup like this in a daily basis here :p

• On a daily basis*

What Guys Said 10

• because biologically we're liking the "average" features. Look again on the image and ask if that's "average".
    Also there's this thing in human psychology about things that doesn't look quite human. It scares us. Too perfect, unnatural walking, sounding wrong. If it's human yet not enirely human, then it can scare the crap out of people.
    Excessive makeup can to some move towards that category. I mean, WHEN have you seen peope legit looking like in the image you posted when they're not using makeup

• What if we were on a date, but all this time, I am wearing a hood. It's hiding my face completely. Only once we are about to go to bed will I remove my hood. Would you feel comfortable in that situation? Would you prefer I never wear a hood?
    Makeup is to enhance your features. Not hide who you are. Use too much and it's misleading. Also, fake is not attractive. I prefer being attracted to normal skin with imperfections. That is what is natural. THAT is what I should find beautiful.
    It's not "wrong" to wear too much makeup. It's just a red flag.

• It's not wrong, just not something most people prefer. I personally prefer a more natural look, or even no make up, cause I don't want to wake up next to someone that looks different than who I went to bed with. Also, and I know some will argue this, I feel like a woman with no makeup has more confidence and more "power".

• Do you think that women who wear makeup are intimidating? Insecure? Or just give off a non-trust vibe?

• I don't like to make assumptions, but it's inevitable, and when I see a woman with a lot of makeup, I tend to back off, they do look kind of intimidating for the fact that I may think they're stuck up. It's obviously not true for all women that wear lots of makeup, but in my experience, the most stuck up girls have been the ones with the most amount of makeup, and they also tend to be the most insecure ones.
      I may be wrong, and probably am in most cases, but we judged based on our experiences.

• The word "Wrong" is the wrong word to use in this. What people are saying is that they are not attracted to seeing someone who doesn't look like their natural self. The look covered with makeup, fake lashes, etc. is not as human as we prefer. Plus, will a person really look like that their entire time? No. The natural look is more important.
    If you feel more confident and better looking like this then be happy that you found what you like. But don't expect many others to like it.

• I think it's because that makeup makes girls seem mostly the same.
    So... your individuality (some natural characteristics) vanishes a little.

• It doesn't look good. It looks like you're on drugs or something. Expression is important in people, especcially in women, this look just makes your face look vague.

• I chose a "serious" pic so you could see the makeup look clearly, not my expression

• I find it relatively unattractive and u deratansin I generally is a projection of insecurities

• nah not always

• You learned... not learnt. Anyway, the fake look is bad because if you (average guy) decides to date someone who looks this way it could potentially be really scary once all that morter is chipped off! Then you have to ask yourself, what's gonna be left over; personality? And if thats all thats left begind the question remains; why does she choose to wear so much make-up? Whats she hiding? For me, the fake look just screams, 'I have self confidence issues or other issues relating to physical appearance and I feel like if I wear all this spackle I will finally be pretty and accepted. And when someone like that comes unraveled, its surely not going to be pretty no matter how much make-up she's wearing!!!

• Is that a picture of you?

What Girls Said 1

• There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way, since some people enjoy the made up look, while others prefer natural. Whatever you enjoy most is what you should do.