Why do so many girls and women think they are overweight or unattractive?

I have seen many posts on here where pretty girls think they're ugly and thin girls think they need to lose weight... I don't get it.

As an experiment... answer honestly.

Girls - Which figure would you LEAST like to have?

Guys - Which figure would you LEAST like your girlfriend to have?

A -

B -

C -

• Picture A
  • Picture B
  • Picture C
Please be aware that with this question I wasn't intending to say "hey look at all those people who think THAT kind of body type is bad". My intention was to show that the girl in picture B had the ideal body type. Not some super model, dress size 6 that a lot of girls, especially young girls, aspire to be.
Maybe the question back fired and has done more harm than good but what can I say, you live and you learn.

Most Helpful Girl

• I definitely agree with you that nowadays I see a lot of insecure girls. Mostly that are in there teenage years. Society has wrongly shown young girls what's beautiful and what's not and I think some are so worried on fitting that standard and it's really upsetting to see.

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree with you, im always suprised wheen go to the looks category. Beatifull girls saying they are ugly... it's just unreal. People really mess up with their minds... boyfriend that say their girls are fat when they are already skinny, stupid guys.

What Girls Said 23

• You wonder why girls think badly about their appearance, but then you ask which of the bodies above we would least like to have. And chances are, at least one of the girls who answer has a body like above (not my case, I'm bigger, just stating a point).
    You see, the problem is the influences around us. Media, guys who rejected us, people who comment on your appearance etc. All those things impact the way we visualize our bodies.
    Back when I was skinnier and lost a lot of weight, I used to think I was still fat , due to how I was perceived before. Only now, when I got fat, I saw a photo from back then and realised the image I hade of myself in my mind was so distorted from reality and that I actually looked good!
    Anorexia, bulimia and body dysmorphic disorder also derive from this and so on..

I think you see it very often because there are a. lot of teen girls complaining, because that's usually the period when we grow and go through "teen dra" and we become insecure, but it happens at different ages too.

Also beauty is subjective. I too remember seeing people here complaining about the way they look and I thought "what? But they look good!".

I'm not saying we're all perfect and all, but in someone's eyes we'll be well above average, even when we don't see it.

• "You wonder why girls think badly about their appearance, but then you ask which of the bodies above we would least like to have. And chances are, at least one of the girls who answer has a body like above".

My point was to show that guys prefer girls who are not stick thin. Lots of girls who are skinny are skinny because they think they need to be or that that is what guys like. They at one point thought they were too fat and had to lose weight and now they're worse off.

• Unless your profile photo is old, I don't think you're fat at all.

• It's actually recent. I am though, but I am trying to lose weight and feel better :)

• I would least like to have any of those figures because my body is amazziiinnnnggggg. Lol. A lot of women think they're overweight and unattractive because they don't just appreciate someone else's features they desire them. Oftentimes a woman would compare herself to others, and in comparison she decides what they have is better than theirs. I used to have terrible low self esteem when I was younger, because I was always comparing myself. I stopped that and looked at all the things I liked about myself and I was like Oh ma gerrrd you're a cutie patootie. Only when you stop comparisons is when you can find acceptance in yourself. I now see everything that's beautiful about me that other people have tried to drill into my head.

• A lot of the time they don't actually think they're ugly. They're just fishing. We'll never be able to prove a point to them.

• Women will always have insecurities. The reason behind this I believe goes to the media. Every single day there are more articles, buzzfeeds, tumblr pages, magazines, etc., that show you what the "perfect woman" is. In the eyes of the media a perfect women is a size 1-3 pant size, has a flat stomach, no stretch marks, perfectly unflawed skin and a stunning smile. If you do not fit into this category then you are considered "plus size" and are made to feel uncomfortable in your own skin.
    I have a far from perfect body. I am a size 5-7 depending on the day and my natural bloat that all women have. I have 2 children. Stretch marks on my stomach, hips, breasts and thighs. I was made to feel unworthy for years because I was a late bloomer. Causing me to have a lot of stretch marks before my perfect babies even came to this world. And I truly felt gross in my own skin because societys version of a perfect woman was not something I could become.
    I spent 9 months after I had my son just about starving myself. One small portioned meal a day. I dropped down to a size 3 jeans and was the smallest I had ever been in my life.. I still didn't feel good about myself. And then, right after losing all that weight, I got pregnant with my daughter. After that point it took me some time to realize that this is me.. My size 5-7 jeans, my flawed skin, my stretch marks, my thick thighs, my bubble butt and my somewhat jiggly stomach. My man loves me for who I am. He has seen me fat, skinny, sickly, pregnant and just plain "ugly" but he still loved me. And that is the reason I learned to love myself. And you know what? Since I learned to love myself, I now see the beauty I hold.. This body carried two beautiful children. These bags under my eyes show how much I watch over my kids. This jiggly stomach shows that I don't starve myself for the sake of the "perfect body".
    More women need to realize that no matter what size you are, you have a story and you have a life. Your life. And they need to stop trying to live in the medias world.

• i am A and dont like being so skinny. I guess im not the target of your question.

I really wish I could be B. If i have to pick between A or C, I would take C... i know weird, but i hate being called Stick Girl, etc...

• Least? The C one obviously.

• I like the thin look, option a is still too big for my taste, I wouldn't want to be that big. But I know guys don't like it :(

• I'm thinner than girl A so if I looked like her it will mean that I have gained about 25 lbs and I just couldn't handle that.

• I'd honestly rather have a body like B. Curvy, big breasts, probably a nice ass (I like her tattoo too lol) and I wouldn't feel bad about myself cause I'd be proportional. I am skinny with a pudgy belly, small breasts and a big ass with wide hips so I feel unproportional.

• C - as stated mostly by girls AND guys - so I guess we do mostly have the same standards of female beauty. xD

• just a lack of confidence or insecurity. because we all know our bodies so well, we tend to think people examine them or perceive them in the same way we do, and that can be an extremely uncomfortable feeling.

• I wouldn't want body A.

• I'd be fine with any of these honestly. I'm closest to b but I wouldn't mind gaining or losing a bit of weight as long as I was still healthy.

• the C.. duh,.. who wants that.

• I don't think I'll ever get to the size of the first girl.

• I like them all. But I would least want A, I'm not too fond of skinny.

• The last one has a bad shape

• Most be their boyfriends

• The last one.

• I wanna be lean and fit.

I am not fat, I am good now but I wanna get more leaner and toned a little.

• I'm more self critical... as in I want to be the best I can. So for me, I want to be fit and healthy. I do not judge others though, I don't know their life.

• "Girls! Don't worry! You aren't unattractive unless you don't have what I consider the ideal body type!!"

;)

• What?

• That's not very assuring for the girls who are naturally thin. Anorexia, on the other hand, is more of a control thing and related to anxiety & OCD, actually.

I was just poking fun, because wanting to look the "right" way to attract people stressed out everyone. Guys included!

• There's nothing wrong with thin girls. Anorexic girls are not attractive though and a lot of girls who are very attractive as they are try to become anorexic. People aren't naturally anorexic.

• I think because society puts a lot of pressure on women to look a certain way. There is nothing wrong with any of these bodies TBH. I would love to look like any of them. For the record, I am actually bigger than C.

I think it's hard because there are so many posts on here that degrade people who are overweight or are even a bit bigger. Everyone has their preferences, but it's okay to be attracted to larger people or smaller people. I think sometimes people put pressure on their friends to only like certain types of girls.

I've had a couple bfs who's friend's made fun of them when they dated me. Yes I'm a bigger girl, but I'm incredibly sweet, nice and an overall good girlfriend. But apparently because I was larger I wasn't worth dating according to their friends.

I know not everyone likes bigger girls, but please don't make fun of your friends. Maybe they are very happy together. And that should be all that matters.

Plus most of the girls I see now a days are bigger than they were when they were younger. I'm 26 and there are lots of girls who aren't super thin anymore. It's a natural thing for a person's body to change. Not everyone will stay super slim.

What Guys Said 16

• I think they're all very attractive, granted I understand no one is completely comfortable in their own skin.

I'm more of a face guy but girls really need to understand men are very easily open minded about their physical appearance.

• I've always been mostly attracted to A types but due to recent events with a girl of B type for the first time, I think B type can be the sexiest.

• Sorry I down voted that by mistake...

• How dare you 😑😡... jk 😜 all good 😊

• None of them are unattractive to me.
    Though C would be my least favorite. I'd still date someone with that body composition.

• no matter where humans are in their life, they can never get enough. its in our nature to want to push for more, even if we've already reached our initial goal, thus, we're never good enough.

• Voted A), she is waaaaaaay too thin.

• They are all fine but I like A the least. She's not bad but too thin for me.

• I would have to pick C.

• In a world of anorexic models and airbrushed photos on magazine covers? And we wonder why women are so obsessed with weight issues

• I don't see anything wrong with any of them

This ideal weight you speak of is built from magazine's and statistics

The girl I'm the last photo has a nice body shape and I find that attractive and the skinny girl could stand to eat a few hamburgers or something but ultimately it's not important as long as they are healthy

• 0|0
  • I'd least like my girlfriend to have figure A

• OMG BODY B IS PERFECT!

• They are all ok with me all the above.

• All of those women look lovely to me. Especially C, but all of them nonetheless.

• Oops I voted wrong. I think a girl is best like b

• What did you vote for?

• I found it hard to vote (I voted B) becasue sometimes I prefer C (moody Irish DNA!!)