Very Rare skin disease. Very self conscious of my legs. Do they look okay to you?

So here are my legs.. I have had this ever since I was born. It changes in colour and visibility with temperature and it gets sore when it's cold. It's called CMTC or (cutis marmorata telangiectatica congenita). There's only one Wikipedia page for it and there's not much information on it at all because it's so rare. It's become more wide-spread as I grew up. It used to only be on my back and one leg but these days I have marks on both legs, (left leg has always been the worst) stomach and back. I was taken away from my mum streight when I was born because the doctors had no idea what these markings were on my leg and back. After a long while they diagnosed me with CMTC. this disease effects my blood veins and there is no cure. Our family has been so worried because we have no idea how this disease could effect me in the future since there is near to no research done on it.

Due to this disease, my left leg is much smaller, shorter and weaker than my right.
I hate walking down the street with shorts on and all people can look at is my leg. They just stare at it with disgust. If I wear shorts I have to wear skin coloured stockings, but even that doesn't hide the markings if my leg gets cold. So I try not to wear anything that shows my legs. Even in summer.
All my life I look at other girls legs just wishing to have legs like them. To me, legs are important to a woman and I feel less of one because mine are gross looking and weird. I used to love swimming as a child but I would get cold quickly and my legs would ache. I feel like I would have pretty legs if it wasn't for this disease. I've even tried putting makeup all over my legs before!
there's nothing much I dislike about my looks, my body is fine, my face is fine It's just this damn disease that's ruining my confidence.

Most Helpful Girl

• I probably wouldn't really have noticed that something was "wrong" if I didn't know this was some kind of skin disease.
    Skin isn't perfect, it wasn't made to be perfect. It's never perfectly smooth. It's a bit hairy. It can get scars, bumps, acne. It can get red, itchy, dry. It can get bruises or other discolorations. If you're pale (like me) then your veins are very visible. Nobody has perfect skin, and the sooner you realize that your expectation for what skin should look like is way too high, the faster you'll be able to accept the way you look and you'll be able to love yourself.
    The fact that you don't feel confident in yourself, it wouldn't surprise me that these "looks of disgust" you get from people are mostly in your own head. It's actually pretty surprising how little people truly pay attention to others, because they're too busy worrying about themselves and their own flaws. If you become more confident, people will pay less attention to your disease and will only admire you for being cool. And really, fuck what anyone else thinks about you because of your skin. If someone looks down on you for it, then that person is not worth your time anyway. You do you.

• Im glad you got MHO. Im not that good with words, but thats definetly what I thought as well.

What Guys Said 22

• This is it? This is why you're self concious? I mean.. alright if it stayed like this, like in the baby picture. But the other 2 pictures just look like normal legs. If THIS is your biggest problem, you have a beautiful life... self concious about a little bit of color change on the leg... sometimes.. no... I've had enough.. *leaves the room*
    media2.giphy.com/media/PHyLhpfQwbNEA/giphy.gif

• Yes, your legs look fine. ^_^ Honestly, if you were walking down the street in shorts or a skirt and I saw your legs, I probably wouldn't even notice that you had any actual medical condition about them at all! And this is coming from a "leg guy" too, who notices legs a lot lol. xD I guess if you were to point it out, then upon *closer* examination one leg does look a bit different from the other, but most people -- including myself -- would probably just assume you bruised your leg a little maybe, by bumping into something. So definitely NOTHING major or off-putting at all; don't worry. :)

• We can hardly notice it. I have a birth mark on my left leg too and when I was younger I didn't like to show it as well. Today I show it normally, I realized that most people don't even notice it or don't care.

• I seriously wouldn't care ! I have the worst skin there is. I have keratosis pilaris, so I have tons of little red spot everywhere at the basis of the hair. Following a prolonged episode of stress, big spots have appeared in my elbow joints which will appear bright red if I get warm enough to sweat. Top that with the fact that I am redhead so my skin is pasty white and will burn as soon as I expose myself to the sun even with sunscreen and I have freckles all over my shoulders, arms and hands. If you were open minded enough to accept that from a guy, I would have zero problems with what you have. It seriously doesn't look bad at all

• Left leg doesn't look shorter than the other. And, it's not really bad at all. I understand being self conscious. There are things I feel that way about. As life goes on I stopped worrying about them. Your legs definitely wouldn't prevent me or any guy from being attracted to you. I think your legs are hot! I don't think I would even notice anything if you didn't bring it up.

• Hey, at least your leg is still functional. You could be, like, missing it completely. That'd be more of a problem.

I think this is something that is still acceptable, and it's probably not as heavily hereditary considering how it's a very rare sickness.

• it's hardly noticible. :)
    It doesn't mean anything bad.

• they look great no issue what so ever. no need to hide them at all.

• The look fine! If any guy doesn't look at you normally over something like that then he isn't a real man... Trust me, you are beautiful :)

• Knowing that you do have CMTC changes how I would feel about how they look, simply knowing why they look that way, making it not that big deal. If that helps.

• They wouldn't bother me, especially since you have such a pretty face 😄

• looks absolutely fine to me, the marks are not even that visible tbh, probably as a baby they were more noticeable but not any more

• As rare skin diseases go, I'd say you got off easy. If you're worried about how your legs look, wear jeans.

• Yeah you look fine I wouldn't let it wory you! It wouldn't put me off anyone and you should feel proud at least your unique 😋

• They look weird, isn't there treatment for this?

• As long as you're ok with it, i would never really bother.

• Don't worry about it. They are cool.

• I think that when i see your face i can not take care of your legs.
    U r so sweet and beautiful.

• Do you think tigers look worse than lions?

Just for fun, go do a google search for something like 'hot aliens'.

You'll see a wide variety of colors, stripe patterns etc. All on 'aliens' with conventionally hot female waist/hit/breast ratios.

Men are pretty open minded on color, skin tone, skin discoloration. How hot you are is very much -shape -driven.

Your legs are a nice shape, ergo, they are attractive. Flawless skintone on an overweight girl? Much less so.

• It isn't something you should be self conscious about, everyone has something off with their bodies. You're legs look fine, you could joke around that your legs are your own personal thermostat.

• I don't think it's bad. I will share a case of a man I know in university who had Port wine stain genetic skin condition, where the blood seems to pool up all in one place, and a third of his face was red-purple and the rest normal white. He married another musician (this was a Music college) and is a brilliant pianist who introduced me to a lot of wonderful music I'd never have heard otherwise, the introduction to which set me on the path of being a specialist so to speak of that music genre today when I teach piano. The real people who count don't see your issue as being problematic, and the petty ones will never care about anything except superficial. So why bother with them anyway? If anything, if it's possible I would be doing leg exercises for strengthening (that is if you're not already doing so). Then who knows? One day you could kick one of those cretins to the curb (or kerb, whichever the case may be!)

• yours are wonderful. you should try psoriasis.

What Girls Said 15

• I've always been self conscious about my legs they are so skinny... I hate wearing skirts etc.. Have you tried building up the muscle on the weaker leg so they can maybe a little similar in appearance? Or exercising your good leg to make it look like your thinner one? as for makeup you can get special makeup like those with scars or burns to improve appearance I think you get it from certain charities and they show you how to put it on but it take to much time so there is one option what about a fake tanning booth? They can hide some of the marks and improve appearance of the legs.. I'm pale with blotchy skin and it's good at making it look ok...
    Noones perfect you know, you shouldn't hold yourself back because of something you can't control... I've nothing nice about me but I make do.. I've a horrible stretched out stomach like dough so can't wear a bikini again but I laugh at that because I never wore one anyway I had no boobs! Still haven't they small and kinda one bigger than the other :( ... my face is weird looking but that's ok I don't mind... I've got a fat cellulited bum-but doesn't matter I wear big knickers,
    So whenever you think of your legs just remember somewhere out there there's a
    Female with different sized small boobs, fat sack of potato arse, a stomach that looks like a plumped out old cushion and skinny chicken legs... then you'll realise that maybe things aren't as bad as they seem... Basically telling you if you look beyond the legs you'll see a million imperfections.. concentrate on your best asset and showcase that,

• Noone's body is perfect. And it doesn't need to be perfect to be attractive. Also from my experience, guys ignore the finer details and look at the big picture. So I don't think the look of your legs would put a guy off.

Besides, if the pictures are accurate, i think there is barely anything noticeably wrong with the way your legs look. I think you are seeing the imperfection more than anyone else.

I feel for you though, cos you seem really disheartened by your condition. When you are as young as you, even the smallest imperfection of your body, seems monumental. Believe me, as you grow older, you will realise it really doesn't matter. You have so much more to offer...

• >>>>>>"guys ignore the finer details and look at the big picture"

^ Yes, very true. ^_^

• Thanks for the upvote. by the way I just saw your profile pic, and you are drop dead gorgeous! You have no problems girl in the looks department. The minor discolouration on the legs don't matter.

• Thanks so much :') it means a lot

• I am truly sorry for you. I've just done a brief on the disease and sounds terrible. Even tho I have bouts of seborrheic dermatitis, I have never seen anything like this. I understand how you feel especially with your confidence and feeling less of a woman. It had no cure but is there a way to control it?

You must try to eat well and not miss out on vitamins especially iron. With regards to the skin probs, I really don't know how to advise you but maybe you could wear longer pants which are stylish. people are pricks and they are quick to judge your body without evening knowing the cause. So am thinking knee lengths or below. They would help with cold and they don't have to be ugly.

There are soo many fashionable types: Rompers, Jennings, skinny jeans, floral prints. I am not saying to give up shorts but just to mix it up a bit. Maybe when you wear shorts , you could wear a very colorful, embellished or eye catching top with the shorts so as to draw attention away from the legs, Statement jewelry helps too.

I have insecurities as the next girl and if you know about SD you will know. Looks aren't everything but its something and based on how you look , will affect your confidence. So , all I can say is to eat right, take minerals and vitamins, dress well and try to be normal. Do everything that a teenage girl would do. Have hope and faith. I know its rough and yes it seems like the end of the world but what more do we have if we don't have hope?
    Again I am sorry and I pray that you will get better over time. I believe that there is a cure for every sickness , disease or illness, we are just brainwashed by the pharmaceutical companies into spending money and such, You should try prayer and meditation. It might not seem like it does anything but it helps

• You have beautiful legs!! I understand how you feel though because I have some marks too and I feel the same way. But what I've learnt is that people don't actually care about those things, it's the person who has them that is more sensitive about them and thinking about that all day. So it's more of a deal for the person that has the marks than for the rest.

• It just looks like a birthmark to me. It doesn't look bad. You shouldn't let it ruin your confidence. Things like this is what makes you different. I just hope that it doesn't cause you much physical pain or anything. But don't feel bad about yourself because of this. You wouldn't be you without it!

• I understand you very well girl, I got this big strawberry birthmark on my right leg that looks similar to this
    www.google.com/search
    And it ruins my confidence too, I avoid wearing shorts or skirts if I wear I cover with makeup. And it gets brighter in cold weather. I so envy those girls that have beatiful legs, and I envy you too, because yours look much better than mine, actually your legs look absolutely fine to me.

• Ow you re the angelic pretty girl 😍
    And you have beautiful legs too 😍😍
    Look we all have flaws. Acne cellulite you name it!
    I am insecure about a lot of things too but seeing your post and seeing how beautiful you are regardless of that skin condition made me think positively about myself :)
    You always see your flaws in a magnified glass, when really they re not that big of a deal and people won t even notice it if you don t mention it.
    Take care :)

• Thanks, you're so sweet!
      Also I have to say this, your hair is so beautiful. I can't tell you how jealous I am of your hair!

• Awee thank you ^^
      I used to hate it when I was younger bow it s all good 😎

• Too be honest with you, I do not even notice that much. They kind of blend in into your skin color. Your legs look fine and if I saw you walking outside in public, in attire that showed your bare legs, I wouldn't even notice it.

• Yeah and if anyone says something act like A B!

• It sounds like perthese disease. Prob not spelling it right but its a thing in the hip that causes the bone to be soft and his leg to have one leg shorter than the other. My little bro has that. I dont notice any difference in your legs.

• They look fine to me, I guess you can see some makrings but they both look the same size & shape. I have a large scar on my right leg from a scald when I was little and I am a bit self conscious in a swim suit or in shorts but nowadays I think, sod it I am going to just get on with it!!!

• i think they look totally fine. i honestly probably would not have even noticed anything about your legs!

• I have a friend who probably from what I see, she has it in a more severe condition and she looks fine. You can see that something's wrong with her legs, but for you it is not that visible.

• It really doesn't look that bad. Maybe you're over exaggerating what you think people see because of what's going on in your own mind

• I think if you got a tan or spray tan no one could even notice :)

• I'm not that into tanning. I like pale skin. Plus I live in South Korea tanning is really weird and I wouldn't be able to find any tanning products here haha