Is paying people for their looks ethical?

I'm referring to modeling. Beauty isn't a skill and being lucky seems unfair when thinking of income disparity and how much they make.

Most Helpful Girl

• They get paid a lot bc of all the effort they put into it. And all the things they have to and can't do. Most models aren't even very pretty/handsome, they just have a certain look to them, and certain features.
    Yes, its a bit outrageous, but it kind of is what it is... its not fair, but very little is...

What Girls Said 3

• people are born smart
    people are born beautiful.. etc
    it's luck , nothing is fair about life

• No one is born smart. IQ is a poor predictor of academic contribution.

• As the coursework gets harder natural ability losses its shine. It's why gifted kids doing stay gifted in college and struggle; where once they could just instantly piece it all together they never learned to study efficiently.

• Actually, I'd say few people are born just "beautiful". You have to cultuvate your beauty to a large extent.

• Yes? You pay people for their skills too. Some people are really smart and become doctors, is paying them unethical because some people are "too stupid" to do that?

• Requires training. No one is born a doctor.

• Sure, go right ahead:

• Yeah we should be paid equally as a prostitues.

What Guys Said 6

• Someone wrote a book about tha: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9516.html
    Most attractive people think they merit it.
    Most common people think they don't merit it.

• Sure, as the goal is to use their looks to sell my product we both profit. It's a purely win win situation.

• i'm pretty sure most people who look good do a lot of work like staying in shape and working out so they don't get fat like the rest of us.

• I have to disagree. not everyone can model in regards to posing and knowing how to carry yourself in front of a camera

• Beauty is skill to a large part, and I could care less about income inequality.

• Explain how beauty is skill exactly?

• The skill in maintaining it: makeup, posture, demeour, hairstyling, strength training, dieting, and yhe aerobic exercise.

• For one you don't have to actually maintain your own makeup as that's what makeup artists do, same with hairstyling and other cosmetic functions, and in reality for those things you need but the medium in question. I can't see demeanor since how you act really doesn't effect your modeling status (as there are models who act poorly) and as discussed modeling goes far enough and wide enough that unless (and even if) you are referring to supermodels alone diet and exercise vary pretty wildly. So I guess standing up straight is a real effort.

• But there's a lot more too it than just beauty, they have to be in great shape they have to be able to pose.

• But that isn't necessarily true; a lot of models are not in absolute shape and the miracle of photoshop helps. Posing is nothing more than control over motor senses. Most humans can do this.

• You have obviously never played any sport. People are born with natural talents. They work very hard at them to make them as great as possible.

• I'm afraid that not only are you wrong but you are also terribly biased towards your own experience. Having played sports I know for a fact that those who shine brightest often practice in the most meaningful ways. "Natural ability" as you put it will only get you so far.