Is cute a nice way of calling someone ugly?

When people compliment me, a lot of them say that I'm cute but they don't usually say that I'm pretty or hot.

So is that true that cute is a nice way of calling someone ugly?
And what do you say when you compliment girls? Thanks

Most Helpful Guy

• Not at all! It's a compliment IMO!
    Let me try and break it down the best I can, I hope it comes across how I'm intending.

When I look at a woman there are several 'factors' I subconsciously process... Cuteness, Hotness, Prettiness, Attractiveness.
    Together they make up an overall physical appearance / attraction, and just because one factor stands out above the rest doesn't necessarily mean that the others are at a bad level. They might rank low, but they could also be close behind the strongest one.

There are certain features I might consider cute.
    Certain features I might consider hot.
    Certain features I might consider pretty.
    Certain overall attractiveness (even without good rank on the first three factors, I can be attracted to someone with a radiant smile, sparkle in the eyes, or a magnetic or hypnotic effect upon eye contact for example)

Everyone's gonna have different ideas about what those sorts of factors mean to them, but look at it as an example. You might score an 8.5 on the "cute" scale, 6.9 on the hot scale, 8.3 on the prettiness scale, and 8.0 on the attractiveness scale, but the one I'm going to probably use in a compliment is "You're cute"

The scale can also change in different scenarios... i. e. you might look super cute in your work uniform, but in school you look really pretty, and when you go out with friends to a show you're hot hot hot, and when you're talking with the guy and telling him about something that makes you really happy and he can tell you're passionate about, you're extremely attractive.

And no, I don't have a particular organized system, nor do I actually run numbers in my head. It's automatic and instinctual, but hopefully this is a helpful map of the process that goes on inside a guys head (at least this guys head) and why he may chose a particular compliment over another.

:-)

What Guys Said 3

• I personally call a girl cute when she is attractive in a more sweet and heart melting sort of way, rather than in a purely sexual way (hot).

• Just "cute" is always a compliment when I say it. If I see someone as ugly, which is very rare as a matter of fact, I simply try to avoid the subject.

• Cute is different from hot or pretty, they aren't the same. Chances are you have that "cute" look which is what makes people continue to say that you are cute. Hot usually implies sexual attractiveness (large breasts, or butt, good body, nice face, etc), cute is usually more of a childlike innocence which is very popular in Asian culture but definitely a thing here in the west, and pretty is usually the girl I would want to marry because she isn't slutty like a hot girl, but she seems more mature looking than a cute girl. That being said cute isn't a bad thing, if they thought you were ugly they wouldn't say anything. Thats how I roll, if a girl tells me "Your good looking" but I dont like her looks I just will say "Thanks", I dont lie to girls, I tell them the truth or withhold the truth if its something I know they dont want to hear. Chances are you are actually cute (which is a good thing).

What Girls Said 3

• No, being called cute means you're cute.

• Well I guess you'd just be lying to their face.

• Lol there's cute girls and hot girls. Neither of them are better than the other. Im sure you're beautiful, now put that chin up cutie :)