Wouldn't anyone with common sense come to the conclusion god exists but religion is manmade? agree or disagree?

wouldn't anyone with common sense come to the conclusion god exists but religion is manmade? agree or disagree?

• agree someone with common sense should realize religion is man-made, but god or some higher power probably exists
  • i disagree

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree. My friend and I have this conversation often. Just look at the Kings James version; it was literately REWRITTEN BY A MAN, 'KING JAMES'. *face palm* He literately looked at the bible and took a bunch of stuff out as he saw fit, deciding not to count the Greek Jews as Jews and coming off as someone who hates women. Even if you read the bible, you can tell there are holes. It just looks like there's a piece to certain stories that are missing. At this point in human existence, so many greedy, arrogant, egotistical people who felt the need to show off their capabilities have gotten their hands on the bible that there's no telling what's missing.

• Sort of. King James ordered a team of scholars to translate the Bible into English, I think there were 47 of them. They did have instructions from the king on a few disputed points but they didn't really change anything.

The Bible was complied into it's current form by several Church councils over the course of about 400 years using texts which had been previously circulating for some time. Judging some authentic and others heretical or apocryphal they basically edited it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends what you mean by 'God'. If you are talking about a consciousness or intelligence like a human one, a 'person' then I would say that is created by man as well. If by 'God' you mean the universe or some underlying force or principle which underlies existence, that is self evident if you believe in an objective reality. But that 's a 'God' stripped of all the attributes which make God interesting from a human POV, that is a God which doesn't care about human fate or happiness. It's a God which doesn't make any difference so it might as well not be real either.

What Girls Said 2

• i dunno if god exists, it certainly a possibility, however religion is entirely man made. if someone tried to start a new religion in this day and age they'd be written off as crazy. thousands of years ago people needed religion to answer questions they didn't have the knowledge to answer themselves and make sure their tribe was living by the same set of rules so they wouldn't fight each other.

• Why is this under "how do I look?" Lol

What Guys Said 8

• ... "but god or some higher power probably exists "...
    Why would add that to the only other option that isn't disagree?

Common Sense is just an appeal to popular opinion.. It's not "common sense" that develops any form of logic and critical thinking to resolve evidence based on perception of reality. Being able to take apart and analyze beliefs held on the basis of 'faith' is far beyond just "common sense".

• Both are man-made, that's why there has been so many gods and goddesses, cause they change with culture.

• As an atheist, I would be more intrigued by arguing with someone who rejected all religions but believed there was a creator. I still think it's far-fetched and manifested out of man's ego, but I see where you are coming from. Religious people I cannot take seriously at all, how can you have no proof of a creator and then say "Oh, by the way, god wants us to live precisely like this, this, and this"

• religion is organised superstition. the whole issue with god is that if there's a god, who created god. it's a recursive nightmare, turtles all the way down.

• ""but god or some higher power probably exists""

Not necessarily, so I voted B).

• I completely agree with this. Humanity is too stupid to be the ultimate form of life in this universe. We just can't be smart enough to imagine how that God can be like.

• Nope, there is no "god" (as a person). There is only energy of the Universe, or the force of the Nature... call it what ever you like, it might be conscious, sentient and intelligent, but it's most certainly not some anthropomorphic personification... I guess it's somewhat like the Force in the Star Wars... basically, I'm a Pantheist.

• if religion is man-made (which it obviously is) then so is "god". why would that be an exception?

I guess it may depend on which god you mean, several hundreds have 'existed' throughout history!