Is it not appropriate for mothers to want to look sexy? Would you consider this inappropriate? Does it make me a 'bad' mother?

I am a mother of three. I have a college degree MBA in Finance, but I love metal, going to concerts, and playing video games. I spoil my kids to death, and spend more than enough quality time with them. I'm their mother as well as their friend. However, I get a lot of criticism from other mothers, past friends, and family members, because of the attire I choose. I love to dye my hair many colors green, red, purple, blue. Right now it's purple, and gorgeous! in my opinion. I have been called 'hooker mom' (by people who don't know me), and been told by other people that if their mother dressed like me than they would never show their face in public. What do you think? Is this really inappropriate? My kids love me dressing up, and love the colors I put in my hair. Is it really affecting society for me to dress like this when I'm out with my three adorable little girls?
Is it not appropriate for mothers to want to look sexy? Would you consider this inappropriate?  Does it make me a 'bad' mother?

• No, not inappropriate
  • Yes, inappropriate
  • None of anyone's business what you wear
Thank you all for your opinions! All are appreciated. My dilemma was that should I keep telling my children that other people's views don't matter, to just be yourself, or are there situations where you should not be who you are to please society. Does it really matter if my child's friend's parents don't like the way I look? If they refuse to let their kid play with my child; am I hurting my children or showing them that I'm strong for sticking with what I believe in/am comfortable with.

Most Helpful Girl

• Being a mother or not people can wear whatever the hell they want! That's awesome of you. Don't let society stop you from being you! : )
    And I do recall many problems like "oh my girlfriend after having a baby stopped trying to dress sexy etc.
    But hey look you've got 3 kids and still doing your thing!

What Guys Said 12

• Stop paying attention to assholes
    They are aweful and just want to pull u down because u r living your life to the fullest and they can't

• Sometimes that's difficult when your kids' friends parents portray you as this awful person and stop letting their kids come by to play with yours :/

• My daughter's best friend's mother told me that I was going to hell, because of the way I dress and the music I listen to. She said this when I guess I 'mistakenly' wore a Behemoth hoodie when she came to pick her daughter up from my house :/ I LOVE their music; didn't think a thing about it. Her daughter loved coming to our house; I swear I'm like wonderful with children and they love me lol, but this lady acted like I was taking her into my basement and doing satanic rituals on her or something :O

• It seems she's too conservative and I guess most who are around u
      I think it's time u reminded that, that religion says that everyone is equal and they need to respect if they wanna go to heaven

• You can definitely wear what you want. I do though find what you are wearing on the picture a little too much in my opinion. I'd be fine if you were going out to a bdsm soiree or something like that, but going to the grocery dressed like that? I don't know. I wouldn't say anything and it wouldn't stop me from striking a conversation with you or treat you respectfully, but I would still think that it's a bit inappropriate given the circumstances. You having kids changes nothing. You look a bit like a dominatrix dressed like that...

• It may be a little risqué in some people's opinion. I say as long as your priority is your children and their happiness and well being pizz on what anyone else thinks. If they aren't paying your bill , they can keep their damn mouth shut !!! Go Mom

• That is slightly more than what I find attractive. That is more of the biker-bar chick look to me. Maybe too much leather with that specific outfit. But, you look good for having 3 kids. Love the hair colour and your figure!

• Thanks! This is the only leather I own/wear; it's just what I like the most :} I wear this one to concerts, but this one was the one where my daughter's friend's mom told me I looked like a hooker when I wore it on Halloween. I have other less bikery-chic looking clothes haha. I love corset halter tops.

• I personally think that style looks retarded and probably wouldn't want to be seen with you, but I don't see how it's 'inappropriate' for you to wear that stuff especially since it's just black leather and cloth, and it's just hair dye.

Do what you gotta do; it's not like you're some old hag trying to relive your youth, especially when you've been going to concerts your whole life. I don't see where it says that a man or a woman must dawn the parent attire of tucked in polo shirts and floral turtlenecks in the handbook of life.

• Well, that particular corset is supposed to be warn under the breast with a white (pirate like) under shirt. I put it over so that they weren't completely popping out there, and I chose that undershirt, because it was more appropriate to me. Thanks for your opinion! :)

• It's your business your choice and ultimately you're the only one effected by it

By the sounds of it you're a loving mother that takes care of her kids and wanting to look sexy is nothing to be ashamed of

If you somehow manage to find time to dye your hair and buy clothes that make you feel sexy then use that time

If it makes you happy then all the more power to you

And also you have a lovely beautiful curvaceous figure so why not show it off?

• This reminds me of something my mom says, if people can't say anything nice then they shouldn't say anything at all

• My mother is 52 years old and she dresses like she is young and I keep telling her to dress her age.

• The way you dress doesn't make you a better or worse mom.

• If it's in front of your kids, then yes. It's inappropriate. Sexy should be for only your man and the bedroom, nowhere else.

• They don't see it as 'sexy'. They tell me every now and then 'mommy, you looks so pretty/beautiful,' and it just makes my day :)

• Just because they don't see it now, doesn't mean they won't see it when they grow up. They are still innocent. A flowered dress is more beautiful than what you wore in the above picture.

• You have kids. stop concentrating on your dressing style. Dress as the mom of the kids not as a young lady.

• It's just me; it's what I'm comfortable in. I put on elegant/fancy/expensive clothes, and I feel like some kind of alien. I broke down and was in a hoodie/jogging pants mood, and I just felt hideous and icky.

• This is so wrong lol

• She is not just a mom, she is a young lady too and she'll dress as sexy as she wants and not ask for your permission. Ok?

• Dress nice, that's your choice. I only have a problem if all women do is dress in a sleazy matter for attention, unless your a stripper lol.

What Girls Said 10

• I'm one of those judgmental assholes. I think mothers should dress like mothers. Some go out all scandalous in a crop top and mini skirt. I feel it looks off. But you do you booboo. Go on with ya bad self. I won't say anything unless you ask (which you did).

• I don't get offended by anything, ever. It's an amazing quality, but I do love getting everyone's opinions! I love racking people's brains :) I do dress like this, but to an extent. Like, I would not wear this top w/o a shirt underneath and no short skirts. I keep everything covered, but I love looking sexy with corset tops :}

• I voted A though. Because it's not like your titties are popping out.

• both a and c - it's not inappropriate and it's nobody's business. as long as you're a good mom who the hell cares what color your hair is? that's such bs. just do you and be a good mom and don't listen to judgmental assholes.

• As long as your ass or tits aren't hanging out and you dressed at least decently I would love to go out with you, I would even let you dress me up with you! As long as my friends weren't constantly hitting on my mom or something then hell yeah, you look like a rocker mom which is bad ass

• Thanks! I hope one of my daughters turns out like you :) Right now they want to just stay in the house all the time, and I'm always wanting to take them out to places. I took them to an ACDC cover concert, and they just complained the whole asking when we were going home :O I hope they grow out of it lol. I want my girls happy and to LIVE their life to the fullest!

• Nice to meet you too!

• I agree but I also hold that standard for young girls.

• No not at all! I ve always been proud of my sexy mum who s reaching now 50 but looks in her 30s.
    My mum is a sporty person and always wear revealing sports clothes, tennis clothes, sports bras etc..
    And she has a sexy body and I ve always admired that about her.
    Stick with who you are and what nakes you happy forget the rest :)

• As a mom I still want to look beautiful and sexy. I don't understand why people think you become some sort of inanimate zombie after having kids. We are still people! We are still women lol!
    As for your outfit, although it isn't my style it covers every inch of your skin, I don't see how that could be considered inappropriate for anyone. Wear what makes you happy.

• I think it's not so much that they think moms shouldn't look good but rather that your style is quite unconventional.
    If it matters to you that much, wear styles more mainstream. If you want to do your own thing, do that. It's up to you

If you want to go with the former, just some ideas
    tequilagotuje.files.wordpress.com/.../...eland.jpg

fotos.caras.uol.com.br/.../...dleton-no-canada.jpg

• I've went this route; it just makes me feel fake and out of place. I just don't understand why everyone has to be so offended by how other people want to dress. I could care less how my child's friend parents dress and what they believe, etc. Thank you for your opinion! :)

• I dont find it inappropriate at all. So because you have kids... does that mean you should stop having fun?, going out?, dressing hot?

Absolutely not! You are still woman and you have every right to look and feel sexy. Some people have this mentality that women with kids should dress in baggy clothes, no makeup or some other nonsense. My mom is 60 , has 2 kids, built a house , has a job and she still has sex appeal and dresses hot. I am proud of her

• Not kidding but omg your style is beautiful!!! I love it! Screw everyone else, if you like it flaunt it, it's who you are! Your kids will love you no matter what! You're their mum and if you were mine I would love you for you, not how you dress (Which is AWESOME by the way) Wear what you want! You're probably a great mother, don't let anyone question it. People could have much worse mothers I'm sure! :D

• That outfit isn't even what I would consider "sexy" honestly but it isn't anyone's business what you wear. Bodies aren't inherently sexual to begin with so even if you did dress "sexy" as a mother it wouldn't be an issue.

• You'd definitely stand out at the school gate! But that isn't a bad thing since you wouldn't stand out for bad reasons. Just because you're a mother, doesn't mean you suddenly need to dress like hillary Clinton or some shit. Do you.