Why do people ask how they look but with nice comments only?

So we've all seen these questions. But why ask with "nice comments only please" at the end of your question? Do you want an honest answer or not!

• It's silly. Defeats the whole purpose of asking
  • They can't handle the truth
  • They just want attention
  • Sugar coat me baby

Most Helpful Guy

• It's the difference between:

You're a little below average, but you have a nice smile and seem to be a nice person. I think if you did your hair a little differently that you'd be more attractive. I wouldn't hesitate to ask you out just the way you are.

vs

You're a ugly bitch. There is no way in hell I'd date someone like you.

What Girls Said 3

• Why not take it as "they need some motivation"!! and it is not at all bad.
    Anyway why waste energy on being bitter when they are asking us only for nice comments.
    Even nice comments would indeirectly make them see what they need to improve on.

• They don't want to hear that they look bad they're just looking for people to boost their ego.

• It's really stupid. Like do they actually want to know or not? Fuck off to your Facebook friends for validation or something instead, if you want to know how you actually look ask here but don't ask for only nice comments. It means you don't want to know, you just want a confidence boost.

What Guys Said 9

• I think most of them are trying to say that telling them about certain things that you dislike, or saying that you do not find them attractive, is okay. But some guys are just plain rude with things like. "You are butt ugly" and "I wouldn't let my dog fuck you". There are polite ways of saying things that express your feelings of finding them unattractive.

• This is the issue of the day on the How Do I Look section is it an affirmation or a critical area - I tend to go with the positive outlook and if they want encouragement, I will give it - If we get too critical, people's feelings get hurt - I was here one day and a 14 year old had to get her father to write an update asking users to ease up a little on the girl, not a good sight.

• That's awful. I agree people are very harsh sometimes

• i have done the how do i look thing once. i said what are my best and worst qualities and got honest answers, i dont get bum hurt, i was just curious of other peoples perceptive on my physical appearance.

but it is true that some people just want a ego boost and ask only for good things, but some people are super harsh, especially when someone is super attractive and they get a 3/10 wouldn't touch you, which i have seen many times.

• It's sensitive people with no self esteem and rely on positive validation to boost their brittle egos.

• They want approval.

They don't give 2 fucks about honesty.

• I think some people are comparing them to models..

• Cause you're not supposed to troll

• I've been answering those kind of questions and I've never even come across that 'nice comments only please'.

• They don't have the balls to handle it