Question about cold sores?

Sorry if this is a little too much information, but I have a serious question to ask. Ever since I was really young every cold or flu I've experienced has been accompanied by a cold sore on my nose and/or upper lip. Not only that, but sometimes the area above my lip. I get so incredibly frustrated because it totally ruins my appearance for a good week or two before it finally disappears on its own. I find it absolutely repulsive and whenever I get a cold I know what to expect (8 times out of 10 I get a cold sore). I hate looking in the mirror when that happens & I have no idea why it happens. I honestly cry about it all the time because I feel sorry for myself. I don't know anyone who experiences this & I always feel like I'm strange for even experiencing this. What is wrong with me? I am so upset and I don't know what I can do to prevent this? I understand that I sound very shallow at the moment, but I already have self-esteem issues as it is & this simply gives me something else to be self-conscious about. What can I do to prevent and/or eliminate this problem? I honestly cover my lip all day long sometimes because I don't want people judging my appearance when it occurs. Thanks in advance & I really appreciate your help :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Cold sores are technically herpes. It's called the herpes simplex type 1 virus, it's actually a lot more common than you think. I have the same issue and trust me I know how you feel. Over the years I've figured out how to deal with them as well as get rid of them sooner. The first one is a home remedy which is hot tea bags. You warm them up like you would to make some tea and then apply it to the cold sore, (you can do this as often as you'd like throughout the day) this helps dry it out which will make it scab and fall off. The quickest the cold sore has dissapeared for me when I used this was two days which isn't too bad considering they can usually hang around for at least a week or so. The second option is a bit pricey but it gets the job done as well. It's this cream called Abreva which you can get at any local pharmacy. It's meant for use at the first sign of a cold sore (I. e tingling around your lip or itching) but you can also apply it once the cold sore has already formed. It's worked for me in the past but it takes a bit longer than the tea bags in my experience. Also, you should try throwing out anything you use regularly for your mouth/lips. Tooth brushes, eating utensils, lip glosses, lip sticks etc. should be thrown out after a couple of months to prevent spreading the virus. It sucks but it's just something you learn to deal with. Hope this helped!

• Thank you so much!! :) I will definitely use the suggestions that you recommended & I really appreciate your advice. Honestly I'm crying right now because I was feeling so bummed out about it but I understand that it's just something I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life :( I just hate it because I can totally feel people judging me & it's not like I can help what my body is doing in these cases. Anyway, thank you so much for being supportive & for giving me advice. GREATLY APPRECIATED! :)

• Thanks for MHO!

• No problem :) & Abreva worked amazingly well for me! There's no evidence I ever had a cold sore so your advice was great! :)

What Guys Said 4

• 1in5 people have the herpes simplex virus in them. some people have the recessive gene (so they carry the trait but don't ever have a break out) while some have the dominant gene (so they carry the trait and they get the cold sores).

you get them when you get colds or flus because your immune system is compromised and doesn't have the normal number of antibodies to fight the herpes breakouts... I am the same. i inherited the trait from my dad and would get breakouts during high allergy seasons (spring or fall) when my immune system is compromised.

I talked to my doctor. for people who inherited the gene (so didn't get it via an STD) you can take lysine supplements. I started taking them a few years ago. If you do it habitually and daily you will see a huge drop in cold sore breakouts. I haven't had one in two years (crossing fingers/knocks on wood).

try lysine supplements you can find them in any pharmacy and grocery store. start with a lower dosage and work up to a higher one. take it daily and i imagine you will see a sigificant reduction in breakouts

• lysine is an amino acid that helps improve the immune system and fight viruses, so increasing your body's lysine intake will help increase your ability to fight the virus... and viruses overall

• Okay, thank you so much!! :) You're awesome ahaha :)

• no prob. glad to help. i know how crappy cold sores can be. lysine felt like a lifesaver... hope it works for you. i imagine it would

• Acyclovir ( Aciclovir, Zovirax, acycloguanosine) cream works to make them get away in 3 days but they 'll probably come back later.
    http://www.drugs.com/acyclovir.html

• Lots of people have problems with cold sores and added to self esteem issues can not be nice. I just took a copy of the search page I googled, have a look on there to see if anything new for you
    www.google.ie/

• It's a herpes outbreak, but usually not the same kind of virus that causes genital herpes. Having the virus is really common. If you think of your three best friends, two probably have it, just like you. Most people acquire it while they are being born. So it's really not something to feel bad about.

If this really bothers you, you could talk to your doctor about it. An antiviral medication called Aciclovir (brand name Zovirax) usually helps pretty quickly.

• I'll definitely check it out & thank you! :) I understand people can be born with it, but what truly causes it? Thanks :)

What Girls Said 0