Am I the only one who takes offense to thick but not curvy?

I've got curves in the right places. I have toned legs, toned butt, big boobs, flat stomach. But I'm not skinny. I've been called "thick" before & to me that's an insult. It's like comparing me to a piece of meat or a cordial way of saying someone's carrying more weight than they need to. Anyway, I just absolutely hate the word "thick" in that premise-to me it's objectification at its highest. However, I do not get offended by curvy-as a matter of fact, I take curvy as a complement whereas a lot of people don't.

What's your opinion on this?

Most Helpful Guy

• I never got the word thick as an adjective to describe a woman so I agree with you.

Most Helpful Girl

• Being called curvy is a compliment. Being called think makes me feel like a fat cow.

What Guys Said 21

• i dont see a problem with it. A lot of girls complain when they get no attention, and then when they do get attention, they complain that its not the right kind of attention. It's just a never ending cycle of complaint. Personally, i believe if the person clearly meant no offence by it, then no offence should be taken

• Lol we women are damn insecurities. I agree with you though.

I usually get called "cute" and I'm like argggggghhhhhh! CUTE? Babies are cute. Bunnies are cute. Fluffy kittens and soft puppies are cute.
      I'm a 24yr old woman! A grown as woman should be past the "cute" phase by now :/
      Especially when I'm dressing up in a nice elegant yet sexy dress, with some heels, my hair did. And then I hear "aww, look how cute she is!" It's almost patronizing lol like a kid playing dress up is how they see me ;(

Curse us women and our insecurities. I shouldn't complain. A compliment is a compliment and beggars can't be choosers.

• @BuchitaBuchys hah, well i get why you may prefer a different compliment, but at the same time, most people go about their days without a single compliment whatsoever. Like, i dont remember the last time a girl complimented me on my looks. Its a super rare event.

• @animeFreak what im talking about though is simple compliments. A guy being creepy probably is doing something that he should not be doing. Personally, i find that women are much too hypersensitive when their looks are mentioned in any sort of commentary. What one women considers objectification, another one considers flattering... so i don't even bother worrying about how a woman is going to react to what i say, because i know that if i dont say anything, nothing will be said between us period and no relationship will ever be forged, because women generally don't have the balls to be the initiator

• I sincerely hope nobody believes you that you're offended over receiving attention, especially with that attention whore take you posted.

How about you at least post pics when talking about your body instead of just describing it so this question isn't completely valueless?

• Calling someone thick is just low though. And if one knows how to click they can click on my avatar & take a look.

• What girl doesn't like attention though?
      And then there's other parts of me, like "oh, her stomach isn't the flattest," etc.

• Well, I'm not here to give you emotional support and I can't exactly confirm/deny whether your stomach is flat or not if I don't even know what your body looks like, which is why I said this question is valueless. If I knew what you looked like I'd be able to comment, however I don't and no amount of description will help, and looking at your cover photo definitely doesn't help when you're sat down and hiding 60% of your features.

• Curvy is a word I do not like because it seems to be used to mean whatever the user want it to mean, rather than anything solid. You have stated in the past that your stomach is not flat. In any case, I have stated before that you look good. I still say that.

So, I would never compare you to meat, I avoid the words curvy and thick, and I would have nothing but compliments for you.

• I can understand how sensitive people can be by these two words - I agree with you "Thick" to me is carrying some weight whereas curvy could be slim curvy, normal curvy and voluptuous.
    Where does the line between "Thick" and "Heavyset"/"Overweight" get crossed?
    "Curvy" nearly has totally 100% positive connotations while "Thick" not so much so,

• It's only on shit like this site and tumblr where "thick" and "curvy" are bad. There's a difference, but most people, especially girls don't know the difference

c2.staticflickr.com/.../16160182577_b065d1b50b.jpg

• To me, I use "thick" as a synonymous word for the word "curvy".

Didn't mean to offend you, but I do understand how u feel!

• The word curvy to me is like the trash man taking offense and wanting to be called a Refuse Engineer.

• Yes, in the UK we'd call you curvy and it'd be a good thing. I don't think we use the term 'thick', I've only noticed that from the internet, not heard people in the UK using it.

• I would describe Kim kardashian as thick and she's hot as fuck. If they call you thick you must be really attractive.

• Thick doesn't necessarily mean carrying more weight than they need too. Sometimes people just have a thicker frame, bones.

Thick is above average, not dainty. But it does not mean excess weight

• Thick is amazing !
    Skinny is amazing
    Thin is amazing
    What matters most , is if you are happy with yourself
    You seem happy, so i am too

• Im tired of hearing the word "curvy" and its cause its the new excuse to be fat most women who describe themselves as curvy are usually fat or close to obese! Its the new excuse to be lazy in my opinion.

• Sir, I assure you I'm not lazy. I work out & I eat right. My stomach is flat, just... soft, if that makes any sense. I have no rolls anywhere.

• Well i wouldn't know there's no pic of you but ill take your word for it

• Well, seems like a trivial thing to be offended over but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I don't see how a word can be "objectification at it's highest".

• curvy is good, curvy is nice. nothing wrong with curvy. if it goes beyond curvy, which you are definitely not, then it becomes fat, thick, and most times gross.

• plus sized. better? =)

• If it isn't one thing it is another.

• I understand u don't like it, bu thick really is a compliment

• No it's not. It's like saying, "you're a piece of walking meat." Being called thick makes me feel big, & not in a good way.

• Agreed it isn't a bad thing but it really shouldn't be said though

• Curvy in my opinion is voluptuous.

• That's just because you are white.

• nonsense. useless nonsense is my opinion about it

• Curvy does sound better than thick, I guess your considered an hourglass shape then

What Girls Said 10

• In my experience, MAYBE 1 out of 5 boys has any freaking clue about the subtext of things like this. Like, backhanded compliments, and all that.

"You're so photogenic!" (= your face is actually pretty ugly in real life!)

"You look so nice today!" (= you normally look like shit!)

Etc.

Like, 4/5 guys JUST DO NOT GET IT AT ALL.

Do not get.

I mean, I grew up in a household where wordplay was a fine art, and conversation consisted entirely of rapid-fire salvos of clever one-liners, AND STILL my brothers are not entirely on top of all that. Because they be boys.

If you are talking to someone from a culture in which back-handed comments are just not a thing at all -- e. g., Mormons -- then, not a chance. They will not EVER understand this. You'll just have to understand that there's a whole plane of communication that exists in your head, and not in theirs, and that's that. Like speaking 2 different native languages.

Really, I don't want to be an asshole, but there's a correct answer here, and the correct answer here is "Get over it."
    Just pretend that there's a language barrier there. Like you're from different countries. Because that's not even pretend-- that's EXACTLY what's happening. It's a real bona fide language barrier, even though both of you are English speakers.

If this was meant as a backhanded compliment, you'd damn well know it. If it's not... get over it, girl.

• Ohhh gaahhhhd. You're chubby hun. Thick would be generous

• Curvy means an hourglass figure and isn't associated with being overweight. I always think of the curve in the waist when I think of curvy which Elsa Hosk is a good example and Scarlett Johanssen is also considered curvy. Where I'm from thick means overweight, but she carries the weight in good places like butt or boobs.

• You can be skinny & curvy at the same time, that's why it's not offensive at all. Whereas, thick... it actually means that a girl does have a bit more meat than usual on her bones.

• I get called thick all the time lol I guess it means different things in the hood and for white people.

We say it mainly either for hourglass or pear shape figures. But not apple or top heavy. Basically, if you have a slim and defined waist and curvy hips, curvy to big (usually it's mostly for big) butt, and thick legs, you'd be considered thick. And that's definitely considered a good thing.
    Thick does not mean "fat" to us, it's mostly synonymous to curvy.

• My opinion is that if you're offended by words that describe bodies stop asking for an opinion on your body

But also, "thick" means you have thick legs and ass compared to your waist. Doesn't mean you are overweight.

• im opposite to me i am thick but curvy is not ok i have curves, big boobs nice ass but im big boned, at 5`9 and 165 pounds

• I'm not sure if thick is good or not so I might get offended if the person didn't clarify

• Well they're both a bit objectifying. Curvy is just more body positive imaging.

• I don't find thick offensive. I'm not built petite. I'd have a problem with how people are using the word, but in itself I don't think the word is offensive.