Shouldn't this website be for 17 and up only?

Don't you think there should be a setting to eliminate questions by people under 18 and certian topics be restricted?

Most Helpful Girl

• People have suggested that this website be 18+ only, but the problem with that is there would be all kinds of teenagers lying about their age upon signing up. It's not like they ask you for proof of age and government ID when you register or anything. There's already teens on here who sign up as 30 year olds, but it's obvious how old they really are with the way their questions are phrased, like "I like this guy/girl in my English class, what should I say?" or "My crush's locker is right next to mine, should I leave a note in it?" People over 18 generally don't ask questions like that.

What Girls Said 2

• You can actually report a question or user for "adult content " or "adult topic under 18".
    👌👌👌

• Omg... the little girls who post their how do I look/am I fat questions at 14 and all the old men come out to wank to this child on screen while typing out their sweet nothings to this fresh young thang. I seriously can't be the only one who finds that creepy.

• I think the only thing that's creepy is the fact that when you see a child's picture, you think of sex. Most people do not look at a 14 year old's picture and start, as you say, 'wanking', to their pictures.

Not only that, but even if they DID 'wank', they're the only ones that know about it, so that is on them to feel bad about their problem. Better to give an ephebophile a non-contact way to deal with his pathologies than to have him out there trying to get some in person.

• @BigPunny well here's the thing... when the child is presenting herself in her panties and bra that is sexual. Which leads me to the comments from the men, "you're so sexy", "I'd love to wake up to that every morning", "your body does certain things to my body". Doesn't take rocket science to connect the dots that these men are lusting after this little girl who shouldn't be posting her half naked pictures here because she is to young and naive to realize how dangerous that is.

• @BigPunny I'd also like to say that while these girls posting those pics here is just a small percentage of the girls ask guys content, that is almost the equivalent of taking a crackhead to a crackhouse and expecting him to walk out clean. While many could, others struggle and so these men lusting after these young under age children are only going to start seeking that more over the internet, which leads us to sex trafficking and to little girls and boys being snatched up off the street or meeting up with these men that they chat with online. It's extremely dangerous and fuels that entire underage porn/sex trade plague. That's my issue and yes it's also creepy.

What Guys Said 7

• No, because 1) it wouldn't prevent teens from coming to the site, 2) it would force teens to lie about their age, which could then 3) lead to issues arising from the man assuming the age '18' could or could not be a teen.

I think a forum like this is fantastic for people 13+. Children that are just hitting puberty have a LOT of problems that they may not feel comfortable talking to their parents about, given that for some reason parents try to shield their kids nowadays instead of educating them. But nonetheless, this provides an outlet for them to get answers to very serious questions.

In fact, that one of the things that makes me like this site so much is that you can ask pretty much anything of anyone, remain anonymous while doing it, and the GaG community is, for the most part, very receptive and helpful.

So I do not believe 'pretending' everyone is 18+ on this site would do it any good - in fact, I believe it would do more harm than good, because then there would be one more social site that tries to keep children in the dark about real-life topics and events that they will have to deal with eventually - why not give them a healthy way to discuss their issues instead of turning them away because of their age?

• Not at all, no one can keep teens from searching things that theoretically they shouldn't have to search and we're very wrong to think that teens are "innocent" these days, they know what they're doing, they just have less experience. Let's just keep it the way it is.

• yeah but I wouldn't want my daughter getting advice from your run-of-the-mill chimo creep on here.

The kids and the creeps that interact with them on here ruin this site.

• @Asker - would you rather your daughter get advice from the adults that answer loads of questions on here or get advice from the other teens at school, which would likely be teen boys?

I think you're probably looking at it wrong and assuming that people answering underage questions are all 'bad'.

You shouldn't worry so much - you should probably be happy that your daughter would be questioning her own thoughts and is responsible enough to seek out advice from people that can actually help.

• "yeah but I wouldn't want my daughter getting advice from your run-of-the-mill chimo creep on here."

Just wait until she goes outside sometime. Into the real world. LOL

This board is pretty sanitized, overall. And pretty classy.

• they still can't enforce that

• I think younger users would lie to get on to site if over 17/18 - By having the 13 to 18 age group here it does allow some semblance of control, in a perfect world all sexual posts by under 18s would be caught and removed.

• I don't think so. A lot of 18+ stuff gets done in the teenage years and its good for there to be somewhere for teenagers to go to get advice.

• Loads of kids lie about being older anyway it would just create more liars

• The sexuality sections used to be restricted. So younger people just lied about their age.

The flip side is, having a place for teens to ask legitimate questions is probably good, not bad.