Why do some people say the physical appearance isn't so important to show that they aren't shallow?

Obviously physical appearance is the biggest deal!
See models and actors. Most of them earn millions of dollars mainly by their appearance.
Human is programmed to care about physical appearance

No most couples are on a same appearance level

Most Helpful Guy

• The average model in the U. S., full time, makes something like 28k/year. Before we get too carried away on what -most- models make.

I wouldn't say physical appearance is the 'biggest deal'/

But it's a big deal, and matters a lot.

However people are pressured to say that it isn't.

What Guys Said 11

• When I say physical appearance is not so important I mean it :) For me chemistry & compatibility matters that's all :)

Physical appearance again is based on one's fixated beliefs / perception which is the case with most people. There are however, those that go with the flow :)

Again if you are talking about those that make millions based out of physical appearance then these count too :)

http://www.oddee.com/item_88803.aspx

• Possibly because they don't feel physically attractive themselves. It probably suck but we are genetically wired to want to be attractive and desirable. Good looking people, both men and women tend to have better jobs, higher incomes because others are attracted to them. Blame it on evolution because all traits that were more likely to benefit the species is predisposed to evolve. Intelligence, strength, and beauty are the major ones. Think about it, if you prefer having sex with someone attractive, its has a lot to do with survival of species. You are more likely to fuck someone you think is attractive, a billion years of species procreation plays a part.

• its because u need to live with a character or a personality after all after a marriage not with the face just , but yes physical appearance strike first always, but the charm always goes when the one finds out that the inner personality is not that beautiful like the face..
    u would not like to live with a man who is most handsome in the world but always abuses when gets angry, n not a responsible one... cheats u too,
    earning million of dollors by looks only? no no , u can't stand a beautiful face in movie much longer if who does notknow how to act , so acting talent made them to earn that level of money.. its the creativity, u know director and producer earns more always then actors...

• human isn't programmed...

human evolved to rely on humans vision. it's our strongest sense. 80% of the information we gather is via sight.

• in my opinion the girls i´ve met had much higher standards. like every little imperfection made them think they´re undatable or something. we just want to show that it´s not "that" important to us. it is important to some extend though.

• Appearance is the biggest deal on the outside. But have you ever considered that you can't actually see yourself? So then, what does that make your life? You are what you experience, not what others do.
    Maybe the people who say looks don't matter say it because when you aren't considering how things compare to you or your own personal preferences, you don't actually care about how people look.

• haha funny how hard everyone is trying to cope/rationalise

looks are extremely important and they affect you in all walks of life

• Everyone's different. Attraction is subjective.

• Many times its not

• How so? I may find person a attractive but my friend might not. It's all in personal tastes

• You answered your own question.

• People are too fucking PC on this site. Physical looks matter. It's what gets you threw the door. So many damn stories of guys who girls get along better with than their boyfriend, some even save the girls damn life but because they weren't "physically attractive" to the girl she remains friends with them despite them being better than her boyfriend who she was physically attractive too.

People who are physically attractive will always have an upper hand over other people. They will be hired faster, and move up their career faster than a less attractive person who is more competent to them. People will also percieve them to be a better person and treat them better. That's life.

www.businessinsider.com/attractive-people-are-more-successful-2012-9

www.dailymail.co.uk/.../...-successful-career.html

• Let's look at Jen Selter. She gets payed 50k everytime she takes a picture of her ass in yoga pants. How many average people can you say make that money?

• You could be THE hottest woman in the world to me, but if you have a bitch personality, I don't want anything to do with you. So no, physical appearance isn't the biggest deal.

• Vice versa.
      A girls has THE best personality in the world. but if she is ugly, you don't want to do anything with her

• So****

• If I was to get together with all four and I really clicked with one of the "unattractive" ones, that's who Id choose. As I said, looks aren't everything. They change and fade over time. But a personality that clicks won't.

What Girls Said 11

• ... No its not a big deal. But lets go with ur logic and say it is. U have a sexy actor. Then what? He makes money. Then what? He buys a mansion and gets the girl he wants. Then what? They have a child, but they fight and they divorce, or he cheats. Then what? Happiness goes down the drain and he gets into drugs, overdoses and dies.

Of course this is just 1 extreme example, but my point is that appearances have nothing to do with someone's depth. People can take one look at me and assume im something completely different to what i am. U need to know someone properly to know how shallow or deep they are.

• No people think that those who pick someone out by their appearance are shallow and by their personality are depth

• Of course if u pick em out by appearance ur shallow yourself. We are much more than our looks.

• 1|0
    • People first approach pretty people and then they stay with them if they find the pretty have a good personality.

You pick your breakfast cereals besed on their appearance at first and if you find it tastes good you stay
      You don't pick bad looking breakfast cereals in a fist place

• But personality isn't everything too

Looks are as important as personality

• To you apparently. Not to me.

• No. That's not true. Some people are only attracted to the personality or intelligence (or another aspect of human characteristics), but don't care about someone physically.

I do believe, though, that there are some people who are as you said: they try not to be labeled "shallow" when they know they care about physical appearance.

But being shallow is ONLY caring about physical appearance, ignoring everything else in my opinion. Wanting someone who is attractive emotionally and physically is not as such.

• Its really not important. I liked this guy that most girls came to me and told me how he's ugly why him? It was because of his personality and the way he treated me. I fell for the personality and i ended up finding him attractive. Awhile back i thought he was ugly but when i got to know him it wasn't so bad.

• I don't care if a guy is good looking but if he is ugly I put him in the "will not date" category but I would never date a guy just because he is good looking. I need more than looks to like somebody.

• They aren't just good looking but they do have a brain to figure out how to work their way to the top without losing control of themselves.

• That's just false media advertisement. Yes, humans are instinctually programmed to like good looking people, but if you're not good looking, you date not so good looking people because that's what you think you deserve, or you're just genuinely thinking about a persons personality.

• Ikr and say that if you think it really matters your a bad person as you don't like people for who they really are, but our individual looks are what also makes us who we are.

• In the end that won't matter you both are going to be old and ugly when you're old. If someone really cares about you it will last.

• Yeah humans are very visual creatures but I choose substance every time

• For some it's not as important. For me, i can't like a guy without liking his personality. I've seen guys I think are attractive but I can't actually like him or have a crush on him without getting to know him and loving his personality, and on the other side I've had major crushes on guys who some would deem ugly or who I didn't think anything of just because I got to know him and liked his personality.