Guys, How much do guys care about looks?

I don't know if guys find me attractive or not (I've gotten comments saying that I'm "hot" but others saying that I'm "okay" or that "they could see why people would think that i'm cute.") But I am definitely not one of those girls that walks down the street and commands the attention of every guy there (except for the creepy guys. they seem to be the only ones interested) and has a lot of random dudes trying to talk to her. Since I'm mixed raced, I'm not "conventionally" attractive, if I even am attractive at all. I'm not blonde with blue eyes and pale skin and a perfect ski-slope nose. I have olive-toned skin, wavy light brown hair, big hazel eyes, and a straight nose.

I'm also pretty tall for a girl -- 5'10". I feel like a lot of guys rule me out because I'm on the taller side.

Anyway, the point of this question is:
How much do you factor looks that are considered traditionally beautiful into the equation?

17

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally think you're ridiculously attractive and mainly for a quality you have that my wife shares -- long, graceful neck, skinny, though you're considerably taller than her.

Probably long neck has always been an aesthetic that I always loved for some reason, something about elegance and grace to me immediately strikes up this image. I've changed my mind about all kinds of other things at various stages in my life.

Since you worded the question as how much I factor in looks considered *traditionally beautiful* (I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I can imagine some kind of canon), then I'd say very close to zero.

I factor in looks but generally the girls I find most beautiful don't fit the canon, because the canon itself is actually kind of generic and boring. To be unusually beautiful is probably the most interesting kind of beauty there is. A man who has such a woman will feel incredibly lucky, as she'll truly seem like a one-of-a-kind even down to her appearance.

He'll also have the worst heartbreak in the world, as he'll probably never quite find someone who remotely looks the same.

What Guys Said 16

• I'm sorry... unfortunately, guys are more visually oriented that girls, so looks is like top priority. However, a very important thing to notice is that every guy views beauty differently. So almost every girl can be beautiful and super stunning for different guys. The truth is, just like you said; some guys will find you okay, but some others will find you SUPER HOT, and there will be some guys who will not find you attractive or special at all. It's normal because every person has different tastes. Here's an example: I personally find the most attractive traits in a girl is when she has dark hair and large dark eyes. Although many guys might view girls like that as normal or average looking, i view them as freakin ANGELS!

Yes some girls can grab everyone's attention but that's not because they are pretty, it's most probably because they dress sexy or wear provoking cloths while having a nice body (which many of them get from working out). So it's not because they are pretty that they get our attention, it's because they are teasing us and we are just walking horn dogs with high sexual drive who just saw a peace of meat walking by (In most cases). As far as i know, you can be that same girl right now if you want to, you just gotta know what to wear and how to show off your assets (I don't know if you prefer one night stands or having a serious relationship, but this way you are more likely to meet people who just want to have sex with you and see you as a peace of meat).

• Just wanted to let you know in-case you started thinking that it's all about looks for us. For many of us guys... and especially me, even if we met the most beautiful girl in the world; if she had a shitty/bad personality she will mean literally Nothing to us.

i was just saying before that we have to find the girl at least a little bit attractive before we go on to the next steps. Generally, the first most important thing that attracts the guy to the girl is how she looks to him, then comes her personality and body... etc depending on the guy.

While when you look at it from the girls side: the most important thing that attracts a girl to a guy is his confidence/personality first then comes the handsomeness and body... etc depending on how the girl thinks.

• 1. The younger we are, the more it is about looks for two reasons 1) so many young girls are attractive so we all want the even more attractive one and 2) we don't know any better - really, we don't know what we want personality-wise. Sex is very important.

2. The older we get, the less it is about physical attributes and the more it is about personality and lifestyle, etc. Sex is less important.

Also, at 5-foot-10, you are in HIGH demand from both short guys and tall guys. You are very lucky.

• It's 50% personality, 30% looks and 20% hobbies, likes and religious/political affiliations.

• first off, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. secondly looks only get you so far, you can look at a girl who literally could be a model. Who most guys say would be a 10 out of 10, and then when she opens her mouth and you realize that her brain is a cracked egg, she loses a lot of points. However it goes both ways, so I can see a girl who's just okay looking from my first opinion and then once I get to know where her personality. She becomes up a 10 she literally becomes more attractive.

• Guys care more about looks than girls do.. They are on the shallower side.

• did you hear that from mommy?

• @tolmbyy obviously, she said the "package" matters more. Fun time last nite.

• please chill.

(also, as a girl, we care about looks, but i know that i've been attracted to guys that aren't really very conventionally attractive for some inexplicable reasons. i think that we take looks into account, but they aren't a dealbreaker. however, most girls will actively express interest in a good looking guy as opposed to a not-good looking guy but most of us wouldn't not date less attractive people.)

• if im going to b with someone i wanna b attracted to her so its not awkward n me lying to her n faking it

• ur cute. i like ur looks better than the ones u said are considered traditionally beautiful. height comes into play too i like girls that r shorter than me usually

• One thing I firmly believe is that if someone goes out with a very attractive person who they don't get along with, all the good looks in the world won't compensate for that.

• The same as girls do.

• I'm not going to lie to you -- looks are a big part of forming and staying in a long term relationship for a lot of guys. That doesn't mean all guys though. Show interest in the guy you like, and maybe he will fall in love with you.

• ... A LOTTT...

• Your sexy

• 5'10"! Awesome.

• I'm a guy. If guys rule you out because you're tall, it means they're around your height and don't feel they're above you and protect you kinda thing. I personally don't care if she's really short or really tall. They're both fun and something to brag about in my opinion. There's someone for everyone... As a guy, my guy friends and myself often discuss who is hot, who is not. I don't share the same standards nor "turn-ons" as the rest of my friends and I believe I have good taste. Every guy looks for something a little different unless they have no standards and are just looking to hook up with someone.

Looks are subjective and everyone has something they look for in someone else. Not all guys like big boobs, or a big butt either. I personally do not. I don't go for blondes with blue eyes and pale skin. I also don't like tanned with black hair and tons of eyeliner and mascara. I go for anyone who's particularly fit, as in not overweight but not pencil thin and frail.
    the most important thing for me is a a pretty yet strong face with fine and dark features and slim legs. I don't care about the rest.

If her looks are there, the next thing to explore is her personality, if she charms me with that, I'm sold. If she just "looks" good, she'll never be someone I'll go for, it won't work in the long run without a good personality to match. Hope this helps, be strong, be confident.

• Looks are probably more important to me. I can do with a personality that isn't terrible as long as I'm attracted to the girl but if I'm not attracted to her, even an amazing personality will not make her girlfriend material.

However, personality is still very important. If a smoking hot girl has a dreadful personality and let's say for arguments sake, she actually likes me, I'm still running for the hills :D

• Face, body shape, and personality all together