Are somewhat crooked or missing teeth or braces a deal breaker when meeting someone new?

I was born with a genetically missing tooth, and my front teeth shifted into the gap. Back in the day, my parents couldn't afford to pay for dental work. It never bothered me much until I got older, after my divorce. Plus I work for a media company where everyone is beautiful and looks amazing. Surprise... my photo is never included on our Facebook page, the company website, or anything company-related.

One man actually told me that he didn't want to go out with me after I sent him a photo because of my teeth. We had been texting and met on POF but I guess he didn't realize that my front teeth are somewhat crooked until I sent him a particular photo.

I'm very sensitive about it and want to get braces and an implant, but that would mean making the gap bigger for the new tooth, which would look worse before it gets better. Plus it's six grand (!!!) Even on a payment plan, it's like a second car payment. So I'm wondering how important it is, really, to have a "perfect smile."

I promise not to get snippy with honest answers. Are somewhat crooked or missing teeth or braces a deal breaker when meeting someone new?

Most Helpful Guy

• depends entirely on the person.

if you're looking for a more general response... hmm... I'm actually not sure. I've seen fat being more of an issue than crooked teeth.

• Are you calling me FAT? (just kidding. I know I am.)

• Something that kind of surprises me is how extremely enthusiastic my friends are when I mention that I'm thinking about having it done. "Oh, I'm so glad you're doing this," as in "Oh my god you're so ugly you really need to fix that." I know they don't mean it that way, but now I understand why people who lose a lot of weight don't want you to mention it.

I've always trying to be very genuine and not just judge on appearances including myself. It's actually kind of surprising to me how expected dental work is nowadays. Like I found out that a couple of my friends have had work done and I didn't know about it because I didn't know them before, but apparently it's much more common than I realized. And I think, why do we have to fix these things to meet just the minimum social standard? Is it just healthcare marketing?

• Oops... posted on the wrong thread

What Guys Said 4

• Well I saw your picture and yes that is an incredible turn off good news is that you can fix it! And you can do it fairly easily.

• It's all about perspective

• Jeez, thanks for putting that in context. Lol. True dat. I'm just a wee bit terrified of oral surgery.

• Huge turnoff
    It's fixable though

• no you are sexy like a moon

• Not a deal breaker at least to me ;)

• May I ask a thing?

• Heh.. I was just making the point that you never know.

• But still your views would be welcome :)

What Girls Said 1

• The fuck, girl? Don't you have dental insurance, through yr media company?

If you do, this should qualify for coverage, as an "occlusal adjustment" (bite adjustment). This isn't just a cosmetic procedure, since a bad bite causes increased stress forces on the rear teeth. It's a genuine orthodontic problem, and the corrective measures should be covered under yr plan.

I mean, you should probably play up the headaches and jaw pain, a bit, just for presentation effect. But, shop around to find a good dentist who'll present the claim to a dental insurance co in the right way.

You are cute!

• It doesn't affect my bite at all. I never paid any attention to it, really, until I started working here around the beautiful people and I'm the ugly duckling.

• Oh haha lol I talk to EVERYONE ALL THE TIME. I am super duper most extroverted pony. I mean, I totally expect to have both sides of conversations at once, in the same way birds breathe in and out at the same time.

I mean, I have the good sense not to bother certain notorious don't-bother-me types (e. g. air travelers), but, other than that... yeah.

But TBH it's different with me, because with my typical footwear I'm only a few inches shy of seven foot. So, yeah, people are totally making eye contact with various parts of me all the time. Sometimes even my face. (:

• Bahahahaha