Is there anything wrong with skin whitening products?

More?

Most Helpful Guy

• People tan to get darker skin.
    This is just the opposite.

People are allowed to do whatever they want to their skin.

• Very simple answer.

• What if people want to lose weight because they think thinner people are better? What if people make their hair red because they think red heads are better? what if... what if!

Changing the color of your skin doesn't have to be a moral judgment any more than changing the color of your hair or changing any other part of your body.

People change many things because they think they will look better that way, some because they feel pressure from society or just because they like to change.

It's not up to you and me to say what people can and can't change and why they should or should not do it.

It's obviously not healthy for your skinn to do such things. But I still think people should be allowed to choose. If you don't allow that then there's hundreds of other things we also should not allow.

• I think people should be allowed to choose to. That is not my point. I'm not trying to take away people's choice. My point is to realize that many, if not most, people that use whitening products either consciously or unconsciously use it because they think white culture, white people, and/or the West is superior.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. For one, they can cause cancer and the harsh chemicals can ruin your skin. Not only are they are not good for the health, nourishment, and longevity of your skin, but they can destroy your skin.

Two, it's really pathetic and sad if someone is that insecure and lacking in self-love that they will sacrifice their health in order to provide a quick fix to their low self-esteem. Confidence begins within, not on the outside.

Looking at the big picture, it really doesn't matter how light your skin is because there will still be another woman who's stronger, smarter, more wise, more proactive, more ambitious, more talented and gifted, more sophisticated, more refined, more adventurous, and possesses more self-love and confidence. She will be able to teach her children valuable lessons of self-worth and truly show them how to be confident unlike the girl who risks skin cancer to feel better about herself.

What Guys Said 8

• The main problem is that skin whitening products are fake, and don't work. It's impossible to manually change skin colour permanently. Besides, these products usually have nasty side effects.

• If they didn't have nasty side effects would they be ok?

• Skin whitening is exactly the same as fake tanning. If anything, fake tanning (UV beds) is WAY more harmful, in the long term, to your body.

So I don't think anyone can really have much against them, considering fake tanning is so commonplace (at least here in the UK it is).

• Is the reason people decide to get tans or whiten important when judging whether it is wrong or not (taking out the bodily harm factor)?

• @MixedGirlBL It is important because it affects how it is PERCEIVED to be wrong.
      For example personally I think both are ridiculous, and would never have such treatment.
      But some people think that fake tanning is completely okay - and those people should not be saying that fake whitening is "immoral" and racist, since both practices are effectively the same

• What about intent? What if someone wants to get whiter because they want to look white as they think white is better (i. e., think dark people are inferior, look poor and stupid). Let's say a tanned person wants a tan in order to look like they took a vacation in order to enhance their social status. They DON'T want to look like a dark person, they just want to look a certain way (tanned) in order to fit into a certain social status. Aren't these different cases? Shouldn't we judge them differently?

• I don't know a lot about them but they seem a bit immoral to me.

• Why immoral?

• What about pushing darker skin? Is that ok?

• Fair point - To follow my logic to what I feel, I think that would be immoral too. I don't think tone of skin should be regarded as a blemish - I know white people fake tan but the skin whitening is more controversial - It is the societal pressure in the back ground that I resent more if you get my drift - I understand the fake tan point but the skin whitening is more insidious.

• mercury on whitening product is dangerous

http://www. whiterskin. info/mercury-is-a-dangerous-skin-lightening-ingredient/

• Nope not at all

• No, but why would you want to?

• In commercial in article I put link for it say,

"In my world there is tough competition. If I don't take care of myself, everything I have built, the whiteness I have invested in, could be gone," Cris Horwang warns in the video advert.

At that point her skin turns almost black, and a young, and very white, rival appears by her side. She looks down in dismay at her dark complexion and muses "if I was white, I would win".

• The same as why white people get tanned, they want a darker complexion not to turn black, its for the same reason black people use skin lightening, for a slightly lighter complexion, what makes you think black people want to turn white? Our skin takes forever to age, last longer.

• @Tootsie34 In commercial in article I put link for the commercial says,

• BC why would you want to be whiter? Is white better or something?

• Where to start... trying to conform to a beauty standard, literally changing your skin color for possibly the rest of your life...

What Girls Said 7

• If someone is against skin whitening they should be against tanning too, both are bad for your skin. Personally I don't think either should be done. Beauty comes in all shades, wow haha my cheesy quote of the day but for real. You know how many people make pale comments at me or tell me I need to tan, they can fuck right off though. I love my pale skin and don't want a fake "healthy glow". You don't need to adjust how you look to appease other people. People want to make their skin lighter because a lighter shade is "more desirable", for pale skin society says it's sickly looking and not desirable either. You can't always conform to what is dictated in the media, especially if it's a detriment to your health.

• Not nessecarily, but there might be something wrong with not embracing your natural skin color.

• All skin whitening and darkening products suggest the people who buy them are unsatisfied with their natural skin color.

• I'm making your same obvious point :)

• Not really. Just because a product exists, doesn't mean people are required to use it. It saddens me, not that it was invented but that people feel the need to use it.

• yeah there's so much wrong with it. I guess I don't really care about it in countries where there's no racial background to it like China and Korea but in Somalia it's ridiculous. It looks so horrible and there's so much insults in Somali for girls who do that 'white face black hand'.

In Egypt where I live now, I have to read the back of any facial product to make sure I don't accidentally whiten my skin. I just don't get why people do it.

• If you had to guess, what would be your theory about why people use it?

• for egypt I know it's classism, poor farmers have darker skin because they work outside in the sun all day whereas rich people are paler because they don't do work. in somalia, skin whitening is not common because we were nomad civilization and not a farming one

• The cancer risk they come with.

• So if there was no cancer risk, or any other health risk, they would be ok?

• Skin irritation, and uneven patches, and no they still wouldn't be ok. While I've never been much of an advocate for 100% naturally beauty one thing I would never say is ok is skin bleaching or tanning.

• urgh i hate them, i tried lightening my skin once and it hurt like hell

• If people tan why can't people lighten their skin? I'm naturally light skinned but skin lightening is beauty treatment the same as tanning is

• I've never cared for skin color altering products. They all look fake to me and I've just never understood why people can't be happy with who they are...