Why do black women relax/ perm their hair and wear weaves/ wigs?

i think natural hair is much more versatile, beautiful, and stronger than permed/ relaxed hair.

Most Helpful Guy

• influence form the media telling you that you need to be a white chick with straight hair, spotless body, use excessive makeup, and constantly have a resting bitchy face?

or maybe the fact that curly hair is a bloody bitch to clean? try letting your hair get messy, then try to clean it and run your brush through it. Not fun, is it. Now imagine if they had their natura hair and were doing it.

Try picking headwear meant for a lot of curly hair.

I think i've made my points now.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well my mom says it's because blacks have bad hair and straight hair is better. I stopped getting perms years ago and she still belittles me about my hair and keeps promoting straight hair is better, it's easier to manage and overall it's just better than kinky hair because it has a connection with being white. It's kinda like you need to be white to be pretty or at least somewhere near being white. It's like everything that's white is seen as so much better and cleaner. And if you aren't no where near light skin and your hair isn't curly, your just worthless. :/

What Guys Said 2

• It's like virtually any body modification. It stems from some kind of cultural influence or directive, and is time-, ethnicity- and culture-specific.

• Why do white women try to be blonde?

http://i50.tinypic.com/sxg6qt.jpg

What Girls Said 6

• I wear my natural hair and weave. Weaves are convenient. I stopped getting perms years ago tho. I like my natural curls. Even tho they're a pain to manage. Weaves are also good as a protective style. And helps hair growth.

• Because they hate themselves. Anyone who says that's not true is lying.

• aesthetic reasons, just like why white women tan their skin and get lip injections. to achieve a certain look.

• I'm natural and I think both are pretty. Relaxing hair can be easier to take care that our kinky curls. Weave and wigs are good alternatives to use when you're trying to grow your hair out.

• Lol. I wear wigs and I love it

• Natural hair on a black girl is badass af