Is acne unattractive?

Hello

I have ALWAYS had a horrible facial and body acne. I've tried to adjust my diet, which never worked and only resulted in a very grumpy and pimply me, "hard" skin treatments, various masks, an so on.

I've recently started using Cliniques blemish prone 3-step system. It helped and helps a lot, but I seem to be stuck with the last acne on my cheeks and forhead.

I went to see a dermatologist I had seen before I started using the skin care system. She told me that I should lay off the heavy makeup I normally use ) foundation, concealer and powder all at once) since it traps the excess oils and dirt. She then told me that a light BB cream (very little applied) could give me the "safety and comfort" if I made sure to clean it off as soon as I got home.

I'm going to be honest. I lack confidence and I have had bad experience with people makeing fun of my acne (the body and facial) a long time ago, and I do struggle with letting it go. I'm extremly self conscious and very insecure about myself, but I know that my acne won't get better if I continue to apply heavy makeup.

I bought a BB-cream that contains 2-3% salicylic acid, which should help. Besides that, it is to acne prone skin. I just tried it on and as expected I can see the acne, but it does cover some of it.
So as it is right now, I can see the red spots a little bit, since I'm really pale - but it covers and hides a moderate.

I thinking I'm going to use it until my acne isn't as bad as know and with a stay-home-vacation coming, I'm planning on going makeup-free.

Is this unattractive? Would people think I'm disgusting or ugly?

Thank you in advance!

Please excuse my "my acne isn't as bad as know" part. I do realise it is "NOW" hehe
I didn't know what to write exactly, so I must have wanted to write something else than what I did at first aha.

Most Helpful Guy

• A lot of people will understand, especially if they experienced a lot of acne themselves when they were younger. Mine was really bad for a few years. Nothing now, but there were some really heavy acne years from about 17 to 20, 21... in around there somewhere I think.

The heavy makeup will definitely make it worse, so whatever you can do to help avoid that, the better. You'll want to find people that will accept you as you are anyway - that will help you more long term. You wont' have that hidden fear inside you about "what will they think if they see the 'real' me". That can cause a lot of stress.

You are very attractive, so that will help a lot with people being more accepting anyway. Nobody will think you are disgusting or ugly.

One thing to keep in mind is that there will be some people that will use it as a target if they are bullying you, but they will bully you anyway. If someone is going to attack, they will find a thing that they know will hurt, and for you they will know that will do the trick. If you had none, they would find something else. So it won't be that the acne causes the bullying, just that the acne becomes the thing bullies will pick on, until something else becomes easier. So if you DO experience people saying mean things, understand it is issues about those other people, don't take it to heart.

You will be able to find people that accept you as you are, and think you are naturally beautiful. Don't worry.

Most Helpful Girl

• do u qualify for accutane? ask ur derm. cuz thats the closest to a cure docs have found tho it comes with serious risks to consider. i was on it and my only side effect was dry skin and ingrown toenails (lol). it significantly made my acne more manageable such that i dont regularly get pimples. my issue now is my oily skin, enlarged pores, and acne scars... all of which are harder to manage than acne but i experiment A LOT so i hav plenty of recommendations

what is ur skin type? oily dry combination?

• and oh, well acne isn't considered attractiv but its one of those features that people can look pastt since skin isn't realy considered a feature. u have a pretty face, its such a blessing. never lose sight of that. people WILL find u beautiful with acne. i wouldn't expect anyone to find my skin problems attractive, cuz well, they require meds and such so obvi its a problem. but if someone could look past it thatd be great :D and maybe alternate with heavy & light makeup if u need to transition down for ur confidence. ur confidence works wonders in beauty

• damn you know a lot about the topic xD
      yea I know about the hormones thingy, and I am doing laser now so it ll suck if they grow back again D:
      yaz ey? Is it like yasmine and stuff?
      if so I used to take diane. took it for 2 years but without the spironolactone thingy.
      It didn t help much so I stopped it :/
      the rest cures you mentioned I didn t try :P
      so I am gonna safe your reply lol to remember those things later haha ^^
      thank you by the way :)

• oh yea basically it s mainly my T-zone that is oily but the rest of my face isn't dry/dry but def less oily.
      fuck up your body? what do you mean by that?
      usually those pills can make you gain weight and cellulite.
      but if you watch yourself, exercise and do some extra follow ups like vita or lpg, it will help you maintain it.

What Guys Said 16

• Eh, I mean it's not ideal but I don't think it's that bad, unless it is really severe.

I had the biggest crush on this girl that had acne when I was your age, she was so beautiful, but yeah she had a little problem with acne on her cheeks. I really didn't care, but she was incredibly beautiful!! Now she is in her 30's and looks fuckin' flawless. Acne will go away with time, and now that you have experienced what it means to not be perfect, you will probably actually be a better person in the long run. So you should keep your chin up, things will get better.

• When I think of 'disgusting', acne doesn't come to mind. Don't worry about it
    Just need to find the right product thing or whatever :o and it might be gone or less, and... make up is always there too

• Severe acne is unattractive, but that should be an adolescent phase. Mild acne isn't great, but it's not really a big deal. And heavy makeup is more unattractive than mild acne.

• Well it is pretty unattractive but your really pretty I can't even see it so nothing wrong with you (:

• It's endurable to a point, although VERY bad acne is kinda bad.

• if she has craters...-_- id get turned off.

if its a phase and you're young its fine

• Acne is ugly but thankfully with water, soap, showers and doctor recommanded meds, they do go away eventually.

• for a lot of people it doesn't tho. esp women. cuz there's a hormonal component to acne that comes alongside menstruation. birth control and spironolactone may help some tho. and then some people just have oily skintype that may be prone to clogging pores that were damaged from years and years of acne.

• yeh its true its manageable but i thought u were implying there's a cure when u say "they do go away eventually." also popping may work for u cuz ur white but its bad idea for Asian skin which is prone to scarring

• @Ghosted nah no cure it's just manageable

• Yeah, acne is unattractive. It goes away though. Sooner or later you'll meet one of those freaks that likes popping people's zits and they'll love it (I don't even know, they just exist).

• if you have acne in the middle of your chicks, you are considered as a NERD!!!

• yea it is only if its too much though

• You look pretty

• It's true the acne is unattractive, but you have lucky because you are very cute :3

• unfortunately it's unattractive but almost everyone has acnes and acne scars I have acne scars too

• Not always unattractive.

• I love girls who have acne. I like to lick their acne and suck on the pimples.

• No its part of life, I had it when I was in my teens really really bad and I'm 33 now and its all gone.

What Girls Said 5

• First of all, you're not disgusting or ugly. This is just a part of human biology some people have.
    For makeup since you only have acne on your forehead and cheeks left, I would just use the BB cream and then cover specific spots with concealer or a stick foundation. If you have red spots you could also use a green color corrector stick instead under the BB cream. That way you don't need to plaster with foundation and powder everywhere and what needs to be covered stays covered.
    Also always remove your makeup before bed.

• The only advice I can give you is to drink A LOT of water and to use face cleaning products for your type of skin. I had a really disgusting skin a few weeks back but I started drinking more, eating healthier and exercicing more. I also started using cleaning products for acne skins. So yeah, don't give up!!

• Yeah, acne is ugly to me.

• So you went to a dermatologist and all she told you to apply to your skin was a BB cream? Girl, you need to consult with a better doctor, this one you're seeing doesn't seem to be very good at her job.
    Back to your question, yes, acne is unattractive, but you can get rid of most of it if you have the right treatment.

• It sounds hormonal and not something makeup is triggering. I suffered for years with acne and no topical cream ever helped. I went makeup free for 2 years while I had a kid, I was at home 90 percent of the time so it was easy and I washed and took care of my skin and it didn't help at all. I eventually went on accutane and now I never get acne, maybe the odd pimple here and there and I wear makeup now.