Is this a bad reason to grow out your hair?

I've decided to grow out my hair. I feel conflicted about why though. I like my short hair and I think it's cute, but the pressure to have it long is bearing down on me. I asked about it on here before and I got overwhelming responses to grow it out with their justification being, "Your long hair is prettier" and other variations of that. On top of all this almost all the girls and women in my life have long hair, so the pressure to fit in is also bearing down. I finally broke and decided to grow it out. Is this a bad reason to grow out my hair?

• Yes, that is a bad reason
  • No, that isn't a bad reason

Most Helpful Guy

• I swear these people on GAG be scared to voice their true opinion. This girl said she doesn't like a group a pretty girls and asked people if they were pretty and people said they were average or basic bitches. Bitch please (to the people calling people they dont know basic bitches). I bet if the same group of girls asked the question do we look pretty the GAGers would be like YOU ARE AMAZING or FAP TIME! pst here
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1900357-these-are-the-popular-girls-at-my-school-do-you-consider-them

ANSWER HERE:
    I think long hair is more attractive than short hair as the GAGers did on your other question, but now those people are scared to say what they once did. But i will admit some girls look prettier with short hair, but that is usually because they have big foreheads and it would look bigger if they did have long hair. Your forehead isn't big so i think you would be prettier with long hair. Look at old pics (if you had long hair) or ask old friends which is better and base your decision of that too. I'd say grow it!

Most Helpful Girl

• So in middle school people told me I was ugly and my face looked disgusting. and as I walked down the hall I was shocked that this girl called out and said I was ugly bitch. I had no friends. People would give me these dirty looks and guys would tell me I was ugly all the time. So I decided to change my look. It was painful physically. I wasn't doing it for myself I was doing it so people would stop bullying me. It hurt I wanted to take them off but then I thought. Oh, what will the kids at school think? So I kept them on. I was trying to please the kids at my school by changing my look. And it worked. It worked like hell. People stopped calling me ugly and ever since my teeth got straighter people were nice to me and the bullying stopped. Suddenly I was a person and I even got more social media attention. People were so much nicer.

But look. Please don't do what I did. Changing your look so other people will like you/ accept you. It's stupid. Do it for yourself and don't end up like me.

What Guys Said 14

• Terrible reason. Your hair is super cute as it is. if somebody doesn't like your style, move along. Find someone you line up with better. You want to find something that makes you happy, that will also be appreciated by someone else. Changing someone to suit other people's happiness and not your own is a slippery slope that leads to a lot of unhappiness on your part, and removes a lot of your sense of personal agency.

Express the inner you, don't try to fold yourself up into a shape that suits other people, it will leave you feeling hollow and empty inside.

• Make your hair whichever length you feel happiest and most comfortable in. You should be making yourself look the way YOU want to look like. Every person can suggest one over the other but that should not make you change your look to something others prefer but you don't like.

• If you ask people and they tell you that you would look better with longer hair, it's because that is their opinion simply, and you are asking for it. If you let the general opinion affect your decision that's up to you. In the end, you should do whatever you feel most comfortable. In this case, going for the general opinion doesn't seem what you really want.

Honestly, if you ask me right now I would say that you will probably look better with longer hair. Why? Because girls usually look their best with long hair. It accentuates femininity and that's probably most people would agree to that. But it isn't what you want/like evidently so I'd suggest you to leave it short and go for your individuality and wishes. You'll probably feel miserable if you leave under everyone else's umbrella, but at the same time, stop asking then what others think. It's a bad reason because you are living in duality and that's no way to go.

• TBH that's a terrible reason. You're falling into the trap of "being who others want you to be, not who YOU want to be".

If you want short hair, just have short hair! Be yourself! Live life how you want to, 'cause you only get one chance. Don't be another follower of what other people want.

• You should do whatever you want. You can't get mad at people for being honest with you if you asked the question. You look too masculine with short hair. Long hair would be much prettier on you. If that matters to you, then grow your hair out. If you want to find a guy that likes you with short hair, then don't... that simple. Do what makes you happy. If more attention from men would make you happy, then grow it out.

• Screw what other people think. If you like it, keep it. I think it looks nice on you

• its a bad reason, but I think you would look better with longer hair as shorter hair tends to suit those girls with sharp features and chiseled jaws.

• You shouldn't change just because everyone elses hair is like that, or because of peer preasure, it should only be if it make u happy

• After it has grown out, you can always get it cut again. And it does look cute short, but I am sure you will look beautiful when it is long.

• You look funny. Try growing your hair longer. If it looks terrible you can cut it back. Don't sweat the sam
    l stuff.

• Definetley grow out your hair

• If you want to grow it, but feel more comfortable shorter, don't grow it much

• Do what will make YOU happy.

• you look like a nerd. lol.

What Girls Said 9

• Annnnnnnnnnnnytime you're changing your appearance for anyone other than yourself, it's a bad idea.

Your hair is super cute and YOU like it. Tell people who want you to grow it out to go take a long walk off a short cliff.

• The only bad reason would be a reason that doesn't make you happy. It's too bad you're getting this pressure, and I would encourage you to keep your hair the way you like it regardless of what others think. However, if you would rather stop dealing with the pressure and you think it will make you happier to be free of that, go for it. I doubt it will, though. I suspect you will always be troubled by the fact that you only grew it out to please others.

• Yes if I'm correct I believe a some user said you looked like a boy and I defended you... Well clearly Ipif that's the case you already know what I'm going to say.

Yes you as well as I know doing something just to please others is never a good enough reason. If you're satisfied with the way you look now who cares what other think. Don't be like everyone else just be yourself and I still think you rock your hair cut 👍

• You need to have your hair the way you like. Don't let anyone tell you how it should be. It's your hair and if you like it short than keep it short. Of course there is nothing wrong with long hair and you can grow it out if you want to try that. It's just hair. You can cut it off whenever you want. Just do what YOU want.

• Do you prefer yourself with short hair if no one else had a preference? If so, keep it short! You are fourteen years old! You have the rest of your life to figure out that other people are going to try to tell you how to look, how to think, how to live, and what to be, (even when you don't ask,) and hopefully come to the conclusion that life sucks for people-pleasers and you should learn to be true to yourself at a young age.

• I like it I think it s cute.
    and if you like it and are comfortable with it others will like it too.
    it s all about the image you project to people.
    don t let them influence you but influence them instead.
    I wish I could cut my hair short but since it s curly I don t think it will workout so much :p

• Terrible reason, become a stronger person and stop feeling pressured to look a certain way because others do. Sorry but you need to grow a pair, so what if other people think long in pretty? You do what makes you feel pretty, to hell with anyone else. Looking the same as everyone else is boring.

• if its just because the pressure, then its a bad reason. Its your hair, if u like it short, then keep it that way, people are gonna have different opinions on how u should keep ur hair like, so there's some that are gonna like it long and others short. the only opinion that matters is yours, you are the one that has to look at it at the mirror every day, you are the one thats gonna brush it, so I think you are the one that needs to be comfortable with it

• Never feel pressured into doing anything because of what others think.
    I think the short hair looks lovely on you :)