Am I considered overweight?

I'm 5'7 and I weigh 172 lbs... I'm panicking. What should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yea that's over weight. Depending on your body type and muscle mass it's not excessively over weight. But you could stand to lose some weight.

Just remember that being over weight is a symptom of something else, mostly likely some combination of diet and exercise. Try to cut out obvious high calorie foods/drinks, and get some more exercise. You should be doing both of those thing anyway. You probably don't need to make major changes in your life, just tweak a few of the obvious things and that may be enough to get more healthy.

• This is sound advice and i think it's key for you to not 'panic' and instead make small but positive steps towards your goal.

• @Geknock
      Yes, I think for most people, small incremental changes are best. I think a big reason many people fail is because they try to make major changes and aren't able to stick with it. I think for most people it's better to look at things realistically and ask what small changes they are really able to make. It's about asking yourself:
      "Do I really need to eat that candy bar?"
      "Do I really need to drink that Coke when water is more healthy?"
      "Do I really need to hop in the car and drive to the next store in the same complex?" "Maybe I don't want to start a hard core exercise routine, but can I at least walk around the block - just this one time, then tomorrow ask the same question again?"

Most Helpful Girl

• Hi there! If we are going by technicality then yes, you are "overweight". The ideal weight for a female that is 5'7" and 18-24 is around 155 lbs. However, this does not take in muscle mass (remember muscle weighs more than fat), bone structure, small, medium, or large frame, breast size (which can add several lbs if you are busty), etc. If you feel healthy and you do not struggle to fit in clothes or do things that you enjoy that may require exercise then I would say you are fine! If you feel that you struggle with doing things that require exercise or you feel your weight is holding you back then perhaps you will need to lose some weight. However, the need to lose weight depends entirely on you, and you should never feel the need to lose weight simply because of what the scale says. That number can be incredibly deceptive, in reality, the only time you should choose to lose weight is when YOU feel as though your weight is making your life difficult or is holding you back. Being HEALTHY is more important than being skinny!

What Guys Said 15

• Yeah, you are overweight. You need to change your diet and exercise more. Soda and other sweetened drinks are the worst. If you are DRINKING anything with sugar in it, just stop and see what happens in a month. Junk foods (low protein, high sugar or fat) are a close second.

• Cut out sugary stuff and as much bread/processed food as possible from your diet. Replace it with a high protein, low carb diet. Watch your caloric intake. Drink lots of water, and green tea.

And start exercising. Both cardio, like walking or running, and lifting light weights to begin.

• 172/2.2= 78.2 kg

You're not overweight that's a healthy weight

Maybe 10 pounds heavier than ideal at your height

• I've calculated your bmi to be 28 which means you need to lose 10 kg or 22 lbs to be at your ideal weight although a check up with your doctor will be necessary to be certain because the bmi does not take into account muscle mass

• Call me... I like thick girls ;) My girl is about the same, actually weighs a bit more than you and she is not even fat. All her weight goes to her boobs, butt, and thighs... And I'm in heaven.

I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about. Though weight can be carried by women differently. Would need a pic to be able to tell if it is an issue or not.

• Well, my curvy 5'7" girlfriend with a medium frame weighs 140. Sorry.

• Dont go by whats concidered over weight
    Seriously its a dumb scale
    For example the rock is considered morbidly obese
    Im sure you're fine

• You should lose weight

• By like 20 lbs or somethin'. Could be worse though.

Avoid sugary drinks and avoid fast food. That's helped me stay in my frame.

• 0|0
  • Yeah that's overweight. Go to the gym.

• No eat pancackes and just relax.

• I think so, but I'm not sure.

• Well you are 3 inches under me and 20 lbs over me.. So...

• I don't know I'm 5'7 and 156 pounds. So I'd guess yes, but just a little.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 9

• I was looking it up online and I can't believe that 172 is actually overweight for a female who is 5'7". My sister is 5'8" and she weighs 180lbs and she looks like a skinny healthy to me. She actually looks really great at that weight, there's no way someone would look at her and thinks she's over weight. That's really odd to me. I guess I would say it depends on how you feel and how you take care of yourself. Because first of all, you're not that over weight. Just make sure that you work out and eat healthy.

• Let me add that my sister and I also work out like 4-5 days a week together so some of it is definitely muscle.

• You're panicking? Why? Even though I'm quite underweight, let me give you some advice. Don't focus on your weight! A lot of times, weight doesn't have anything to do with how much you eat, a lot of it is the genes. So what, eat a cupcake! You deserve a cupcake. Hell, we all deserve cupcakes!

My point is, you're only overweight if you consider yourself to be. :)

• You're just now worried about it so I wouldn't worry

• According to a bmi calculator you are. Don't panic, it's alright. nothing is wrong with being overweight unless yo don't do something about it and you become obese. Just start doing cardio and eat healthy foods :)

• Yes your over weight. A normal weight for people who are 5'7" is between 120-150 pounds.

• you are fine, just keep a eating healthy ans exercise regularly and you should be good to go.

• That is overweight

• People tend to carry weight differently, but it sounds like you are a bit overweight. Drink more water, eat a good balanced diet and exercise more to tone up. If that is what you really want (since you said you are in panic at the moment). Don't panic, just live healthily.

1 private opinion(s)