Would I be fat in California?

I have always lived in the Deep South, and here I'm about average, maybe a little bigger. Most young people here are not overweight, but there isn't much pressure to be as slim as possible. From what I've heard and seen of California and some other states, young women strive to be VERY slim, and they look beautiful. Of course, we have our fair share of beauty, too, but when people talk about Southern girls, they usually talk about our faces, hair, charm, etc. I don't think we're know for our bodies, at least not in a good way, so would I be considered fat in California?
Here is my full body:
Would I be fat in California?
(This is obviously an unflattering picture, but I hope my overall size is apparent.)

Here is my belly (since the shirt is so baggy).

I do not mean to speak for all Southern women in declaring myself "average." Many women are much slimmer than I am. I only mean to say that I am a socially acceptable weight. I know that I am not slim. I also should apologize for the length and tackiness of this question. I always just wonder if my size is only tolerable here because people tend not to be openly judgmental about these things, and girls here tend to wear clothes that don't show off their bodies too much most of the time anyway. I would appreciate any responses very much.

For reference, I am a size 4, and my waist is 26.5-27".

• Yes, I'm afraid you would be considered overweight.
  • No, you would be fine.
  • I am Southern, and I must admit that you are too big here, too.
  • I don't know about CA, but you would be too big where I live.
  • I don't know about CA, but you would be fine where I live.
  • Honey, you need something else to worry about.
  • I don't know at all. / See results.
I didn't realize how big I looked in that T-shirt. I'm not as big as that makes me look. I'm a size 4. 140 pounds. 5'4". 37-27-39. Again, I know that I am not considered slim in the South, but people do not usually gawk at me or seem disgusted by my weight or call me fat.
I mean people never call me fat, but they do sometimes gawk. It's mostly guys though, and I think they're just checking me out.

Most Helpful Guy

• Welp. Typing that paragraph out was a waste. *sigh* In essence, Nor Cal is more rural; So Cal is more hippie esque, so it would probably depend on what area of Cali you're going to. I'm not sure what kind of pressure you could expect, but given your size, I doubt you would receive much since you're not fat. Oh, I live in Texas. Never been to Cali, but had some friends from there.

Your stomach has a bit more fat on it than mine does. And I'm hella skinny at 5'10 130 pounds. So, not a lot at all. Just marginally more than ideal, really.

But yes. You do look quite large in that t-shirt. Which you are not.

You ever heard of a Southern Belle?

As for women not being under as much pressure and not showing their bodies in the South, I really don't even know. Girls in my area wear all kinds of stuff, usually tight jeans and t-shirts, dresses, skirts. Not a lot of covering up, but not a lot of showing either. Well. Lots of cleavage. Mmm. Lots of cleavage.

This is what's considered Southern beauty, I think. The body is definitely taken into account.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUOWUeIvbDs

• Lol. Maybe that's what they mean by "charm." I suppose you're right. I'm just being silly, but I'm really more of a Southern wallflower than a Southern Belle. By the way, what does the "Southern Belle" trope have to do with the body?

• Mmm. I would guess that's part of it. But the charm is also just that ultra-friendliness, too, I guess.

When I think Southern Belle, I always think skinny hot blonde? Perhaps that's not the general perspective, but it's the only type of woman I've ever heard the term ascribed to.

Most Helpful Girl

• How in the heck would you be big anywhere in the US if you're size four?

You're fine, clothes aren't flattering though.

What Guys Said 14

• If someone harasses you listen to me when I tell you,
    As far as the U. S goes,
    There are only a few places with a bigger asshole percentage than where I live, (Massachusetts)
    California, New York (Debatably) Philidelphia, and parts of florida.
    We have a lot of assholes here, I mean, like quarter of the people you see on the street are assholes unless you really get to know them and are having a hard time. (Then most are jerks with hearts of gold or at least silver)
    So When I say California especially beach country is full of assholes I mean it.
    DO NOT PAY THEM ANY HEED. YOU ARE FINE THE WAY YOU ARE HELL YOU ARE RATHER PRETTY.
    Now I have an assholishness quota I have to fill elsewhere

• Lol. This is sweet (maybe not to people from the places you listed lol). I should say in CA's defense that no one harassed me. I harassed myself on their behalf which is a special kind of stupid. Thank you for assuming that I had a legitimate reason, and thank you for the compliment and for not fulfilling your "quota" here lol. Y'all can't be that bad, but I suppose you would know better than I would:)

• average

• You're fine, just keep pursuing your fitness goals and tone too.

• I think you look great. You have a very nice natural look. Honestly, the stereotypical CA look that your talking about is somewhat of a turn off to me. I don't usually like women that are that extremely thin or overdone. I wouldn't worry at all. If it helps, I think you have a nice stomach. Sorry if that sounds weird.

• I voted F). Worrying must be fun, but this just isn't a legitimate cause for it.

• You're not in California so forget about it! Women there are predominantly fake, at least those trying to get into the movie biz.

Don't compare yourself to scrawny models, etc., guys are not in to that sh*%. Be yourself and just be natural and beautiful the way you are and want to be.

The only reason you should be working out etc., should be for your health benefits... not to look like some little toothpick!

• No your just thick no matter where you live in the USA

• Thank you for your response. If you don't mind my asking, what do you mean by "thick"?

• Like you have a thick body not fat and not lean kinda big but not to bad

• You're not fat, you have hurt your health eating cheese, beef, pork, that is a growth hormone issue many people have.
    If you want to change it go vegan, it will take many years, but nothing else you ever do will work.

• You look wonderful how you are. Do not compare your looks with anyone elses. You just keep on being you.

• Not particularly.

• No, fine.

• You look like you are a healthy weight, and you actually have a rather flat stomach - probably less of a "pooch" / "muffin top" than most people have.

It does look like you are slouching in the pics and wearing unflattering garments that make you look bigger because of your build (bone structure and boobs - that tshirt is terrible it minimises your good curves and make you look like your fat with the way it hangs)

• Thank you for your response. You're right. It is a terribly unflattering T-shirt lol.

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 6

• You're average. And you'll be average anywhere.

CA isn't full of strictly stick people.

• I moved from California to Georgia for like a year and was shocked at the obesity epidemic there... There are a lot of fat guys and girls in California (not as much as the south, sorry), but you're a normal size girl, any where. You're not even thick like iron_man stated. I'm fairly slender and your size isn't much bigger than mine.

• No you look healthy to me

• If your fat then I'm fat

• Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sure you're not fat. You might mean that you already know that lol. I was just having a bad day, and I'd seen some really skinny girls' YouTube videos.

• Give.. Me.. A.. Break

• What about your height

• 5'4"

• No, but it's afternoon. Close enough lol. Good night to you:)

• 😂😂