How can you genuinely know if you're pretty/ugly?

I know the cliché answer is "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but people can agree on whether someone is generally considered attractive or unattractive. Since you'll never see yourself from an outsider perspective, how could you possibly know?

From my experience, I've had just as many people berate me for being ugly as I've had people compliment me for being pretty. This isn't a post to fish for compliments or insults for that matter, but I do wonder if there are any genuine ways to tell

Most Helpful Guy

• It seems that the general consensus is that there isn't a way to tell.

I submit to you that there is a way. That there is irrefutable and undeniable proof as to whether you, or indeed anyone, is either pretty or ugly.

The test is simple: Go to the nearest bathroom, look in the mirror, and judge for yourself. The only opinion that really matters in the regard of attractiveness is the one you hold for yourself. You can't control what others think of you in any respect. But, and again its my opinion, if you think either you are pretty, or you think you're ugly, you'll be right.

Most Helpful Girl

• The thing is, people have always been telling me I'm pretty my entire life. I remember even in 8th grade they were telling me I was pretty. And now, as a 23.5 year old woman, I look back at pictures of when I was in 8th grade and realize the blatant lies they were telling me.

I'm not being hard on myself, I was legitimately ugly. I even felt ugly back then, despite people telling me I was pretty.
    http://i.imgur.com/IkN2dLN.jpg

And then you have me now,
    http://i.imgur.com/1pFU0I4.jpg

A significant improvement - even with bedhead and no makeup. I feel pretty almost 24/7.

I still have people telling me I'm pretty, but not as often as I did when I was in 8th grade. Which I guess just tells you that when you actually ARE pretty and feel confident in yourself, people are less likely to compliment you than when you AREN'T pretty and don't feel pretty.

What Guys Said 28

• well you are pretty to me. I guess you can take a video of yourself and watch it, see if you think you are pretty.

But if you want to know if you are pretty or ugly to the whole world, become a world famous anything and wait for the tweets/ comments

• Lol "become world famous". Very simple tip 😂

• by societal standards?

easy

post a pic and ask for a rating

• There is no simple answer to this question because all people find different qualities attractive. There is a science to certain characteristics that can make a person, based totally on physical appearance, to be more attractive such as distance between the eyes, jaw line and chin projection, nose shape and symmetry of the face. However, this do not take into account the attraction that is formed on an emotional level, which in some cases can be more powerful than the physical.

You could have a person who, by all objective standards, was the most unattractive person on Earth, and still find someone who adored them and thought they were attractive in their own way, hence where this cliche comes from. The takeaway from this is, someone out there will appreciate you for you, and it isn't all about how physically attractive you are.

• I am aware I don't scare people away with how I look, so I guess I'm fine with that. As to objectively say whether you are attractive or not, from your own eyes, is impossible. I have been called ugly and attractive too, so I can't really form an opinion out of it.

Because people will perceive you differently, and when someone may see you as eye candy, other will see you as "meh", and other as ugly. Preferences come into play for each person, and they will put you next to the idea in their minds to see how close you are to their standards.

That clichéd line you mentioned, exists for a reason.

• It is a tough question. I usually try to see how people react in different situations.

If you are generally accepted or pursued romantically then you are pretty to that majority.
    If they run away screaming and throw their shoe at you then i guess you aren't.

• The key is objectivity. I would rate myself 4/10. People will determine if your beautiful or not based on their own perception of you. However I still stand that beauty is not subjective. Sun rise and sun set are beautiful. The view from the top of a mountain is beautiful. I don't buy the everyone is beautiful pitch. I do think that everyone should see beauty in themselves though. I personally like balance of realism and compassion when I think of myself. Looks I am 4/10. As a whole person I think I'm 10/10. I think everyone should learn to feel that way.

• I took a pic of mine, I found myself ugly.
    I took a video of mine, I found myself ugly.
    I looked at mirror, I found myself ugly.
    On the top of that my mom calls me ugly.
    If my own mom calls me ugly then I dont think I have to seek further validation.
    I accepted I am ugly.

• Dates, compliments, tinder msgs, resemble magazine covers

• No because it's just opinions and everyone has one and they differ. I to have been called ugly just as much as cute or handsome so? It just depends who you talk to.

• The only way I know is to post a photo and wait for rankings. Here is a good site about that:

www.rankmyphotos.com

It is the same with IQ: you have to solve a test and be compared to others.

• Yeah usually if you don't symmetrical and don't have at least some other features models or other beauty figures have.

• Depends on the person if his/her eyes and brain likes your appearance
    Just like I'm thinking that you look cute :P

• if women want to suck your dick

• Why should you care?

• Because your appearance ultimately affects how you're perceived and other facets of your life

• Still.. Why should you care? What others think about you is none of your business.

• well... i dont really agree with you there. i mean, you could have someone video tape you without you knowing, and then watch that tape. you'd see yourself like any other person would.

• There is no universal definition, being "good looking" is purley opinionated. Example; most guys i know say that Megan Fox is hot, me i just don't see it i know prettier girls than Megan Fox

• Mainly I'll know if I get multiple compliments from multiple women.

• You're not ugly at all and I simply don't care what others think of my looks.

• Compare yourself to others.

• Your far from ugly

• If people try to be friends with you and near you then you are pretty and attractive

• a survey I guess... people have different tastes

• You're ugly. Now you know.

• weknowmemes.com/.../...mation-dog-meme-240x180.jpg

The best answerer is oneself; you know when you look in the mirror if you generally look like a dog or if you look good

• Most people here are being nice and they'll tell ya yer pretty...

Honestly I'll tell ya yer being average more or less... but dat kind of make-up makes ya look ridiculous... take it off and post a better more natural picture...

• I said that I wasn't looking for comments on my appearance

• Then if people look away everytime they see yer face... it means yer being ugly as hell... otherwise nope...

• if you think you are ugly, you aren't. if that is you in the profile picture, you are an 8-9/10 easily.

but since that wasn't the question, here is my opinion.

-guys hit on you
    -you get advantages from guys for no reason.
    -people might stare at you, in a good way.
    -you get help from strangers.

• Everyone has an admirer out there who thinks they're good looking

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 7

• I feel like we criticize ourselves more than another person would. We usually think about ourselves by basically looking at a person and assume what they think about us. We are usually held to society's depiction of beauty which changes. It used to be super thin was attractive now fit and curvy is in. Things of that nature

• If you get loads of people asking you out, complimenting you and never any negative comments you're probably very attractive.
    If you get just a few compliments from family and friends you're most likely average.
    If you get no compliments, no one hitting on you or many negative comments you're most likely unattractive.

• Well I've gotten more negative remarks about my looks than positive ones so if it's based solely on that then I'm pretty much screwed.

And that saying is super cliché, but it's true.

• I have high confidence so even if someone called me ugly, I would brush it off. It's all about how you see yourself honestly. I'm about to get real cliche but if you know you're a good person on the inside, 9/10 you know you're good enough.

• People say your ugly be dumb haters.

• You'll never know.

• Beauty is subjective. Someone's 4 could be another's person 10. If you look at some posts of people who ask others to rate them you will get a bunch of totally different options. As long as you're socially acceptable and you don't look like you just came out of the mothership, you're fine. I actually did a an experiment of mine where I posted a picture of a model and some people said she was gorgeous to ugly. She can't be both, right? No, I think she can. Also society shows us what's attractive and what's not and that has a huge influence. Someone will always find you pretty and good enough. You can't always go by how many guys hit on you to see how attractive you are, I know some average girls that get hit on way more than the gorgeous ones. You can't please everyone you aren't a jar of Neutella. Just take care of yourself. It doesn't matter how gorgeous you think someone is there will always be a group of people who think they're ugly. The best thing you can do is meet society's standards. As in your makeup, fashion, hair, and health is pretty much on fleek.

• So no, I don't think there is really a true way to know how attractive you are besides your own opinion.

• There does seem to be a majority opinion tho. Just ask a bunch of people what they think and narrow the answers down. Bit more importantly someone will find you beautiful, even though that might not be the majority opinion it's not wrong. Sorry, I meant *but more importantly*