Should I take it seriously when a person calls me ugly?

I tied my hair up today for the first time for school because it was a very hot day. My friend said it looked nice so I went into lesson with it in. A boy that I know looked at me and said " ugh you've tied your hair up it looks well ugly" . I just went completely red because I have never been called any sort of name before and it was a bit of a shock coming from a boy I knew. Why would he say that in front of the class and why would they all laugh?

Most Helpful Girl

• Awe, don't worry girl. I have a SUPER hairy neck and spent my whole life worrying about it. I joined a kickboxing class and one day was like... you know what? Why do I have to suffer sweating my ass off with my hair getting drenched just because I don't want to tie my hair up. No, fuck these people if they don't like the way I look they don't have to stare and that's their problem. I'm sure you're a beautiful girl and if you like your hair tied up then you do what you think looks good. All of those assholes in school never grow up and in real life they still act like it's highschool. Don't sweat it and ignore them. Maybe he likes you or something. No one likes suffering in the heat. If you're still self conscious about it then google other cute ways to wear your hair that will still keep you cool.

• Thank you for your comment 😀 It was nice to read and I am so happy you went for it because it makes me want to do the same 😊

• Awesome! :) glad I could help. Life is too short to worry about what others think and if I could go back in time and tell my younger self.. Well, it would have saved a lot of valuable wasted energy and worry! Confidence is the way to go :) take care.

What Guys Said 16

• He probably wanted attention for himself at your expense. The fact is that those looks things are relative, everyone will have different opinions about the same thing. So, in a nutshell, be yourself, if you worry too much about what people say it'll drive you crazy.

• no just take it with a grain of salt

• Give 0 fuck for them.
    People in groups become very stupid. They would laugh at the assholest thing ever, Just to feel the fun.
    Be like Trump! Loool Who stands confident not giving a shit in debates while the whole audience is laughing at him. And still wins looool.

• No, don't ever take someones opinion too seriously. It's only 1 person's opinion and everyone has one and they differ. He shouldn't have said it in front of the class but that's a teenage boy for you (doesn't think or care how it might make you feel). The others laugh because most can't believe he said it. Doesn't mean they agree.

• You shouldn't take anything mean that is said to you seriously. People are assholes and tend to speak when they're in no position to speak, so don't take anything they say to heart. Not caring about what others think and only pleasing yourself is what matters.

• JUst a stupid reaction from a young guy, nothing more.

• Well if he has the mind of a middle schooler ( which is most likely the case) he probably thought you looked pretty and so he insulted you to show it. Decide for yourself how you look, but if your going to take an outside perspective your girl friend more likely to be honest with you.

• Nah, don't listen to those people, if it was your boyfriend/girlfriend/enbyfriend the person probably know what there tlaking about, but if it's just some guy, no big deal

• No, there's better shit to worry about.

• no dont listen to him he was just trying to be mean

• Ugly and beautiful is up to a specific person. May be for him your hair was really ugly, but for other people it will definitely be beautiful. So, don't ever get sad about the opinion of only one person.

• They are immature a**holes

• tied up hair looks hot. dont listen to him.

• Nah don't take any notice. He's being immature. I'm sure you're beautiful. Shake it off and carry on 😊

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 5

• He did not say you were ugly. He said the way you did your looked ugly. There is a difference.

• Tell him to fuck off

• Class is stupid and the boy needs to learn some damn manners. Next time tell him too fuck off

• He didn't call you ugly, he said the hair style it.

• Maybe he was just joking? He could've just said a really asshole remark. I wouldn't take it personal. You should've said something back like "well at least i can take it down, your face though, that's just ugly all the time" and left.