Do you think people are treated better when they're not fat/ chubby?

People used to come up to me in public sometimes and say you're really pretty, or I love your hair, love your outfit. That's when I was 18-19 years old and 140 lbs. I gained 40 lbs into my 20's and people stopped coming up to me or even looking at me/ flirting with me in public. Yes, I was chubby or some people might say "thick"... others might simply cut the sugar coating bullshit and say fat. I've recently lost about 15 lbs and I've noticed cashiers at stores have lost their rude attitude toward me, strangers on the street smile a bit more at me and seem to have more respect for me in general. What is your opinion on this? Are people treated better depending on how fit they are? I know some might say well it just shows that you care about yourself if you're in shape so overweight or chubby people seem unhealthy.. but what if that "fat" person just lost 40 lbs? They completely care about themselves but they're being treated poorly... so take that into consideration as well!

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes! Believe it or not people still judge on appearance and will act to you how they feel about you. They might say they dont judge by appearance but its an instinct

What Guys Said 12

• To some degree, yes. In particular, for first impressions.

At the same time, in the corporate world for example, your performance is assessed almost entirely from your brain and your mouth. At the end of the day, results is all that matters.

That's just one example though. But in other situations like dating for example, I think it's pretty well established that maintaining a healthy and attractive figure is desired.

• well isn't it evident in your own real life experience what the answer is?

• Yes, there are numerous studies and countless experiments that have been done conducted to prove this. Like it or not, overweight/chubby people are still discriminated against.

• I feel people treat you how you project yourself to the world. Maybe when you were portly you walked around with a frown so people weren't smiling at you?

• Oh, definitely. It's simple, really. From a biological standpoint--attractive people are better genetics, and simply more valuable people.

• haha from personal experience, YES. Even my parents were like wtf you are a fat fuck. look at your belly , when I was 220lbs. Now that I've leaned down to 185 , they are saying , you are too thin, you look unhealthy. I guess I can't really win.

• yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
    basic facts hun, anything that looks good gets treated better

• Yes, I think it is well researched in psyhology that more beautiful and more attractive people are treated better.

• yes i think so...

• of course. Fat girls and boys have at least 35% lower rate for getting involved with other sex.

• Yes they are definitely treated better/different based on attractiveness/

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 8

• My mom, who is in her 50's, and after having had triplets in her late 30's, has struggled to lose the weight she put on with them... triplets screw you up, man. She finally found a program that worked for her and lost a lot of inches, multiple pant sizes, and obviously a bunch of weight.

And she made the observation that people, men specifically, were WAY nicer to her now that she's smaller, than they were last year when she was heavier.

She said she can't remember having been treated so nicely by men (aside from her husband aka my dad) since before I was born and she was a size 4.

So... based on that testimony... I'm gonna go with saying that people treat thinner people and people who conform to society's definition of beauty, better than those who do not.

• Yes.
    I used to be a chubby kid and got bullied for my weight and after I lost the excess weight even some of my bullies started to be nicer to me to get into my pants.
    If you aren't pretty, you're worthless, this is how society works. 😐

• Yes! I used to be a chubby kid before turning 16 and when I lost weight guys started noticing me and I became quite popular in high school

• Unfortunately, it's true.

• Yes!!
    I lost about 45 lbs now. Strangers and even people I know treat me better now lol

• Yeah I believe this... It always seem this way with my friend ( who is obese) because I'm skinny, people tend to talk to me more, be nicer etc.

• I actually kind of disagree, i find people who are in shape to usually be fairly rude and arrogant (not people who a naturally slim but gym bunnies)

Whereas people who are chubby etc have better personalities as they feel uncomfortable with their bodies they learn to be nice people :)

• People do treat chubby people a little worse than do skinny. Our society views chubby more sickly compared to skinny people. Even if their weight isn't super unhealthy.