Is it wrong for children to wear makeup?

I am 13 years old. I wear makeup every day. Foundation, concealer, powder, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick. Just so you know, I actually know how to apply it. It looks good. I don't dress super suggestively, but I wear shirts with cut outs a lot and I show my midriff on occasion. I don't have sex, I don't even have a boyfriend. People generally associate younger teens wearing makeup and dressing like this with children having sex and being "scandalous". However, I only wear makeup and dress the way I do because it gives me confidence and makes me feel beautiful. I act modestly, I don't show cleavage, and I have no desire to engage in sexual activities (until I am older). The most I would ever do is kissing, and not "hardcore" kissing and making out. Is it wrong for me to dress the way I do and wear makeup? I would never change the way I dress/look because it gives me confidence and makes me feel beautiful, but I want a public opinion.

I just realized that I seem really defensive in a lot of my replies. I'm just kind of annoyed at how a lot of people are telling me that I "shouldn't be insecure" or I "should try to act grown up". I would just like to make it clear that I am very confident without makeup and I wear it for myself. Not for anyone else. I have no desire to be grown up. I still embrace my youth mentally and makeup could never change that. :)
*shouldn't

Most Helpful Guy

• obviously it's up to your parents and then you... but my personal opinion is, and what i'll will convey to my daughter, that at 13 she's too young. just my personal feeling

i want my daughter to feel comfortable in her skin rather than covering it up. i feel like like at around 12/13 is when people really start to develop consciousness about their appearance in terms of how people view them. i'd hope that my daughter could learn to feel fine with how she looks and is perceived without makeup

Most Helpful Girl

• I think its okay. You might be wearing a bit much for your age but then 13 today isn't how 13 was in 2008 xD let alone earlier. And you sound really mature.

I put makeup on my sister and niece for fun abd people have judged me for that but its like... there's nothing trashy about makeup. Its fun, its pretty, its girly. Acting trashy is trashy. If you behave yourself and your parents approve I don't see the problem.

• Thank you for this. And I agree with what you said about "acting trashy is trashy".

• My sister is 13 and she is about as sweet and modest as a young girl could be. I do her makeup sometimes. It doesn't change that fact. Don't stress dollface :)

• Thank you :)

What Guys Said 20

• If i was your father i would feel i'm failing about being able to make you a confident and strong. person...
    It's a bad dependence because it starts to be fundamental to your hapiness... and using it like you use it makes your skin older with time.

I'm not criticizing you, it's just an opinion ;)

• Makeup isn't fundamental to my happiness. I would be confident and strong without it. I love my personality and that makes me confident. Makeup just enhances my how I feel about myself physically, but I still like myself without it.

• Yeah. I think I was unclear with that haha. It isn't the only thing that gives me confidence. I already have confidence. It just enhances it.

• Ok, but don't forget, it's bad for your skin. That's why famous people seem a disaster without it.

Also, you will start to feel strange when you don't use it, because you get used to it.

It's not really an advantage for you, but it's normal you feel curiosity about it...
      hope you start using less quantity and less days, for the reasons i gaved to you

• I substitute teach junior high and high school, and it seems bizarre for me to see a 13-14 year olds (7th graders and 8th graders) with full on makeup like grown women, I didn't see that a lot growing up.

in my opinion at the age of 13 you don't need to use foundation, concealer and powder on such young vibrant skin. Just do something for the lips and eyes, let your youthful exuberance show naturally.

• also to keep it #100 , I always think middle schoolers with full on makeup are insecure and trying to hard to be grown up.

• by the way there is no need to come off as so incendiary and defensive! It seems like you're yelling every time you type something. :-P

• Omg I didn't realize that I was coming off as incendiary and defensive. I'm not trying to be defensive or anything haha

• It's bad for your skin and just makes you look silly.

You should improve your self-esteem by accepting your appearance (it'll stick with you forever, after all) rather than concealing it with paint.

Take this: www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/.../infopax.cfm

• Just so you know, it doesn't make me look "silly". The way I apply it, it is nearly undetectable. I am not a typical 13 year old who just slaps "paint" on their face and ends up looking ridiculous. I have taken classes in makeup and even get payed for doing people's makeup. I accept my appearance. I don't have low self esteem. I just like the way it looks.

• Hmm. I see.

• In my opinion, you seem level-headed enough, even at your tender age, to get it just right. If it's done with parental approval, I see nothing wrong at all. If it makes you feel more confident and happier, then it's fine.

• It's bad for your skin. Then again, I don't think makeup makes a girl prettier, so I'm biased. I prefer seeing a person for who they are not what they are wearing. I digress... my initial point stands, makeup is bad for your skin, especially at your age... a teenager's skin is pretty volatile at that age and anything you do to it during that period will affect it pretty permanently.

• No is not wrong

• Doesn't skin break out when u use makeup (not really sure tho) I don't really think u need foundation and concealer some people use it to hide zits and stuff but who cares what I think do whatever u want it's your life Do what makes YOU happy fuck people

• Yeah some makeup breaks out skin but mine has a cleanser in it and I have noticed an improvement in my skin since I have started wearing it.

• you are too young but I understand humans copy what other humans do
    yeah I think children should not wear makeup

• Yeah I don't do it to copy what other people do. I do it for myself. Even if no one else wore makeup, I still would.

• Haha well obviously I saw someone else do it but I'm just saying that the reason I do it isn't to be like everyone else.

• I said the same thing when I was your age trust me hun lol
      ahhh good memories

• i think so. It really does damage the skin. me and ex always fight about wether my twelve year old should be allowed.

• Ur to yung.. make up is for adults wen they want to impress q guy... u shuld nt impress a guy.. ur 12.. do ur homwork

• Maybe you should do your homework and learn how to read because I said that I was 13. :)

• Haha n I could tell ur "mature" with ur smart ass XD

• i dont know, each to their own, i guess

• I wish girls would feel confident about themselves and not wear make up.

• Yeah for me personally I do feel confident without it. I just like to wear it.

• Same here, I wanna found a beauty and wellness club for girls and young women who feel insecure about their own looks. Maybe we can be co-founders XD

• If you truly feel that way, then there's nothing wrong with it.

• not really no

• i think its, you are sooo young:)

• Eh, I don't think it's wrong.

But i think it's worth noting that it makes them look older, and can catapult a post pubescent but clearly underage girl into looking pretty much like a very attractive late teen/20 year old, which is basically what most men, of -all- ages find the most sexually attractive.

Any time you see guys drooling over an underage girl, or going 'WTF' when they find her age, or wishing she was older... they're 99.9% of the time seeing her in heavy makeup.

I'm not saying that is reason alone for girls not to wear makeup if they like it.

I'm just saying it... happens.

• Depends on the situation. Regularly? Eh, bad idea. If you're in a show or something, though, and the situation calls for it... you kinda have too.

• Yeah it is wrong.

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 21

• I do think a little is okay, however there shouldn't really be any reason to wear that much, is it something about looking older for some reason? When I was 13, I looked thirteen and really enjoyed that age, I felt I didn't have to grow up so soon, you should chuck the make up, you don't need all that foundation on your baby face skin! I totally understand making yourself feel beautiful but I do think you're starting too soon that your skin will not thank you for it when you're older. Little mascara and lipstick is ok.

• Hahahahahah the baby skin thing made me laugh. Since I was 11 (before I started wearing makeup) I have had TERRIBLE skin. Not exactly "baby face skin" haha. I have actually noticed an improvement in my skin being that the foundation I use it medicated. I don't try to look older. I do like looking older however because I get taken more seriously. I am extremely mature (mentally) and when I don't wear makeup, people take me less seriously because I look like a child. When I do wear makeup I look roughly 16 and people take me more seriously when I speak intelligently.

• Oh God... yes, dear. Make-up should be the least of your concerns right now. I didn't even know about "concealers" when I was your age. Hell, I don't even own a concealer and I've never applied it before. Being 13 is about embracing your immaturity, your childhood. Why do you wanna grow up so fast? You shouldn't even have thoughts like these at this age.. thoughts like you wanting to feel confident and beautiful. Im sure you look beautiful even without makeup. You're just 13! Enjoy these years while you can and don't worry about boys, makeup, heels, and whatever crap you 13 year olds worry about nowadays...

• Yeah. The thing is I do embrace my immaturity. Just because I care about makeup doesn't mean that I am completely mature. I still run around, I act like a 2 year old, I play games. I'm still a 13 year old on the inside even if I don't look that way on the outside.

• I personally believe that children shouldn't wear makeup and I wouldn't let my child use them until she were at least 16 (only on occasions tho) but its all up to the parents. If they see you wearing it and are okay with it then, whatever.

• Yeah both of my parents are okay with it. My dad isn't a huge fan of it but he thinks I look just as beautiful both ways for different reasons and my mom believes that it is self expression so she is fine with it.

• I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with it, but I think it needs to be worn within reason. If you're going to events, or out to dinner, etc, I think it's fine. If it's for school, I think it's very unnecessary. It's also no good for your skin. I saw you mention using it to cover acne in some of your replies, but makeup is actually only going to cause more acne. Any dermatologist will tell you that using foundations and concealers are going to worsen the pimples, and the best thing you can do is use a specialised cleanser and keep your face clean and clear. A small amount of a mineral based makeup would be ok.

• You know I was actually sitting at work today and I saw these 12/13 year old girls walk in with makeup (like what your talking about) and thought to myself that they were way too young to be wearing that much makeup. I personally dont go a day without makeup, I dont let my family see me without makeup, but at 13 I wore makeup on very few occasions. And when I did wear makeup it was very haphazardly put on. I know we live in a different age and a different era but I really really think that young people are growing up way to fast.

• I think it is excessive for your age. I think at most you should be wearing eyeshadow, mascara, a little blush, and lipstick

• Yeah all of the foundation, concealer, and powder is just because I have terrible acne and have been made fun of in the past.

• Yeah I've gone to my dermatologist and they gave me something. But it did nothing.

• well tell them that and try something else

• I personally think that 13 is still too young to be wearing a face full of makeup everyday. Maybe a little mascara and eyeliner is cool, but that's where I would draw the line for my 13 year old. But again, that's my personal opinion. Maybe it's because I wasn't into that stuff at 13. I don't know. I just feel like kids want to grow up too fast these days.

• Do what you'd like. You sound very mature and composed and seem to understand that makeup isn't about hiding yourself but embracing your beauty. Knowing how to apply it properly is also a plus lol. I'd say just be cautious and try to use makeup that won't ruin your skin but y'all probably already know that. Keep doing you dude.

• Personally I think foundation, powder, lipstick is a little much, but concealer, natural eye makeup, liner, mascara, and some tinted lipgloss is better for your age. It's better to stay away from makeup if you can tho cuz in the long run it'll damage your skin

• They are too sexualised at that age.

• If it's doing you good then go for it! I think it's perfectly fine, I don't see what their problem is. It's unfortunate how young girls (here where I live) are branded as sluts and get leered and catcalled at.

• the way u just asked trhis question looll you are free to do as you please omg this was legit so sophisticated you donteven sound 13but honest girl like you seem to have a good head on ur shoulders and since ur doing it for urself its whatever keep doing you

• I don't think it's a big deal. I stared wearing makeup when I was 12 but not like all out. I only wore eyeliner and mascara.

• I don't really think anybody should wear make up at any age. The only ones that should are the ones that actually NEED it which are a very few...

• What do you mean by "need" it? How would someone need makeup?

• If they're ugly per se. Lol I mean there's a few that don't look like they have any eyelashes or anything stuff like that

• I think it's okay.. Don't listen to those guys if you are confident wearing it then cake that shit up! Pour buckets on your face because you are queen girl!!

• 13 isn't a child, so it's totally ok. A lot of girls wear makeup at your age.

• yes you are ruinin you skin at a early age

• Not ruining my skin. It's very light coverage

• foundation and concealer creates wrinkles on your skin... no matter how light you wear it... i didn't start wearing makeup till i was 17 and i regret it cause im only 23 and already look 30... makeup has chemicals on it that will ruin your skin on the long run by the time you're 20 or 16 you're gonna feel old

• Okay that makes sense

• I mean, it's not going to give you any benefits socially but whatever makes you happy I guess

• If it makes you feel happy and confident I don't see the harm. Although, a lot of makeup can be bad for your skin and can leave your youthful looking face looking dry and dull in the long run.

• yes, it's wrong, people will take you like a whore

• Even if I act completely modestly and am a sweet, kind person?

• Yeah people have said things when they were jealous before

• Yes, so don't wear it, you'll have problem if you do it.

• No normal i use make up products too

• In my opinion yes, it is wrong for children to wear make up...

• Why do you believe that?

• Yeah I see where you're coming from with that. For me, it's not only for looking attractive. It is a form of self expression and I am quite talented at makeup, so I use it as a form of creativity (which comes with the bonus of looking more attractive)

• Well as long as its not something you come to depend on to make you happy or feel like yourself then i think its an okay form of self expression.