I look good in the mirror but awful in photos?

I'm quite happy with the way I look in the mirror, but when I take a photo I look terrible. My face looks more round and it looks so red and spotty. I just can't seem to take a decent pic. Which one is more accurate mirror or camera?

Most Helpful Girl

• The reason people look good in the mirror and "worse" in pictures is because we're so used to seeing the mirrored version of ourselves, that when we see it non-mirrored we think something is wrong. But actually, that's just what everyone sees of us and it's 100% normal for them to see us that way.

• I don't think that's the only reason, it's part of it, but also:
      - Pictures don't have any 3d depth perception so you don't get the full view
      - The camera brightness range will be smaller which can make certain features look more pronounced or different than they actually are
      - The color balance is almost always a bit off (i. e. brings out red marks, makes you look too yellow or too pink, etc.)

• Thanks for MHO.

Most Helpful Guy

• The mirror is the real reflection of you - Just hold something in your hand and look at it in the mirror : It'll be the exact image of what you're holding in your hand

You're probably referring to selfies and selfies are the most unprofessional photos that exist. Then, the camera can easily distort your face and lighting plays a big role !

And not everyone can take a good photo, that's why there are star photographers in the modeling industry, just like there are star architects who are better than no-name architects. And star photographers know about this issue ! I had the chance to talk with one !

Whether you're photographed by a star photographer or by yourself or by an ordinary photographer makes a world of a difference !

What Girls Said 6

• Sweety, you are handsome either way ;) Sometimes photos can make people look weird and sometimes better. It's just luck I guess. Maybe you can practise?

• mirrors catch u in 3d so i think mirrors are more accurate. congratulations !

• mirror, but camera allows us to see us the way others see us

• OKAY COOL

• The mirror lol!

• I heard the camera is more accurate. But you could just not be photogenic. Im sure you're beautiful

What Guys Said 8

• So stand in front of a video so the sides are right and work on your smile until you like it. Then lock it in.

• Jesus 2 in a row. I just seen a question shout a lazy eye. I've got that 2. I've never seen a good photo of myself. The camera definetely doesn't like me. I think it coz you pull unnatural expressions when you in front of a camera and look daft. One eye looks bigger than the other coz in mine coz of what I said above. Look horrible. Yet when I'm shaving in the mirror and look at my face I look fine and sharp featured. I dnt understand it myself

• The mirror is more accurate

• Sad to say but photo is more accurate, we tend to be biased when we see our reflections.

• Dude look at matthew macoughaney in professional pics vs in video vs in everyday photos. Guy looks like a god in 1, above average in 2 and like shit in 3, dont worry too much

• Mirror for sure. I hate looking at photos of me but I like looking in the mirror.

• Don't take any pictures plus lighting can mean a lot.

• Camera the mirror flips thing horizontally