So ugly in photos?

So I look sooo different in photos than in real life! People have actually told me. Why do I look so different tho? I look on girls instagrams and they look stunning like the photo is perfect, is it the camera they use? Do they edit it a lot? Even when I edit I still look crap and everyone says I'm extremely pretty IRL.. So I don't get it? What makes someone unphotogenic?

Most Helpful Guy

• Some people are less photogenic, yes, but cameras are all about LIGHT. They are light-gathering devices, and to take a good picture, you need to think a lot about the light.

Generally, you want EVEN light in a portrait-type picture. Overcast days are good for this, because the clouds diffuse the light and reduce shadows. Clear days create harsh shadows, so your eye sockets and under your nose and chin will have dark shadows, which are less attractive.

You also don't want to point the camera toward the sun or other big light sources. You want the light sources behind the camera. You don't want the person in the picture to be partially in shadow, or to have the background partially in shadow.

Last, but perhaps most important, know that nearly any picture taken indoors will be considered to be taken in "low light", which causes the camera to either turn up its light sensitivity (which causes the picture to be grainier) or keep the shutter upon longer, which will cause blurring if the camera or the subject moves.

If you were to go to a professional photo shoot or video shoot, you'd notice right away that they use a LOT of light, and when you're there in person, it seems overly bright. That's because your eyes are much more sensitive than a camera, and so to the camera, that overabundance of light is "just right".

Look at how much light is being used in these professional photo and TV shoots, compared to how much light is in a room where you likely take pics:

seattlefilminstitute.com/.../...93-sml.preview.jpg

www.dallasyoungactors.org/aws/chuckcarla.jpg

www.lednews.org/.../Al-Mayadeen-channel.gif

www.jou.ufl.edu/.../Channel-5-news2.jpg

If you want good pics of yourself, find someone you know who (at least) has an interest in photography - and preferably someone with experience who can compose a shot well and help pose you - and go outside on an overcast day between 9am and 3pm and use a real camera instead of a cell phone. Take several hundred pictures, expecting only a few great ones. That's how it's done.

What Guys Said 8

• First of all you should be happy that people call you extremely pretty. Anyone who has seen you in person will always remember you as a beautiful girl, they won't change their decision based on photos.

It's not rare to have an unphotogenic yet pretty face. A photo is just a 2 dimensional thing, it doesn't show the true picture. First you need to figure out what's wrong about your photos, like you jaw looks too broad, chin looks bigger etc. Then try to mask these using different tricks like lighting conditions, hair style, camera height, angle, filters etc.
    Oh and close selfies are the worst idea if your cheekbones are average or above sized. Take photos from a distance then crop it later.

You can ask photographers (friends, professionals) for more accurate tips.

• Let's see a picture and maybe we'll be able to give you some feedback.

• Some people look better in real life than in photos, others the other way around.

There are expressions and gestures that are missed from photos, that actually make you attractive when interacting with someone else. And then there are angles that make you look better in photos, which you can't play with in real life lol

• Lol I have this too. Its because front face cams aren't high quality and the aperture is probably higher than the camera on the back.

• Okay then great story.

• I doubt you're as pretty as you claim

• When you look the way that you do, you have zero access to put others down. But don't worry I'm sure you'll grow into that nose.

• "You were the one being racist say your black" lol what? Do you even know English?

• Lol har har. Yep

• Don't worry kiddo you don't want people only liking you for looks anyway right 🙂

• Fear and envy and jealousy = Unphotogenic

What Girls Said 7

• Instagram the home of photoshopped pictures- I would think only half would use their natural pictures, even models on it use photoshop... do not base how your natural pictures look to their fakery

Many factors your pictures are coming out not the way you'd like them... posture and facial expressions.. pictures should be in natural form, you concentrating so much you aren't in your natural form, you'll be tensed up pulling weird faces you didn't realise you have..

Next is lighting... natural lighting is always best so go out in the sunshine and take a picture and compare it to the ones you already have, it will look better... next is depending on your camera is filter... my favourite filter on my phone is the instant filter- still looks natural

But relax when taking pictures go somewhere you get natural light abd that's all really

• I have the same problem. I rarely take a good photo of mine. I think some people are naturally photogenic others use filters and photoshop.

• it's all about finding the right angle to make yourself look slimmer, better shape and better lighting in the mirror, practice your best pose, then apply it in every single picture... of coz improvise with your hand gesture lolz

• Do you think it's the camera to?

• there's a lot of apps you can try to enhance your picture, your skin and literally everything. yup, camera is playing the important role too. just borrow your friend's to take a selfie then use it

• People tell me Im not photogenic and look better in real life but I think that might just be their way of making me feel better about bad photos.

• My body looks good in person, but defiantly not in camera lol. Idek how those models do that when they take photos

• Oh yeah, it depends on the angle of the camera , and the lighting. Pick an angle best for your face and use natural lighting

• you're probably not used to being on camera. simple

• I look ugly as shit, but freaking beautiful in pictures, ur lucky in real life ur pretty so yeah,