Why do you need a strangers opinion on your looks?

There are so many of you so hung up with this idea that you need others approval to make yourself feel good and ask "do I look pretty, skinny" etc. You're asking people to have opinions on you, when all you're really doing is fishing for compliments. Quite truthfully, how is it going to make you feel if you received a string of comments you don't want to hear? Does it matter what people you don't know think of you as long as you feel you look good. No one would post a picture of themselves on here if they didn't think they looked good, no one (unless there is a genuine illness there) would put themselves through psychological torment if they thought they'd have negativity. So I'm very intrigued by this concept and if anyone will answer honestly, why do you do it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I posted a pic of myself at one point, on the basis that if people's reactions were bad it doesn't matter because they're strangers I'll never meet, and if they were goo then great self-esteem boost for me :)

• I like an honest answer and it's brilliant you can think like that. It's clear from some of these rate me's that others don't have that same confidence and it's counterproductive for them, whereas others like yourself a just after a little stroke of the ego but deny it.

• Obviously. You need at least one selfie for every kg you lift

• I think one is taking it a little easy, I thought it was one at each angle!

Most Helpful Girl

• i guess i have a "genuine illness"... i like getting feedback whether it's negative or positive because i make a habit of working on myself. i like improving things because the journey is more fun than the outcome. a couple years ago i was a fat, insecure, ugly clothes wearing high school student and now i'm not any of those things. i honestly didn't even realize there was any room for improvement because i was that delusional. asking for body feedback and first impressions and all that is really good for people who A. don't get offended easily (like me) and B. who have a warped sense of self (also me). i learned a lot on how people perceive me and what i need to change in order to be perceived differently.

• A "warped sense of self" if it affects daily life could well be classified as a form of BDD so I can understand if it's helping with something like that. For others they can do it with these disorders and it causes them more turmoil and that's concerning.
      I like your honest answer and I can see why it can benefit people in your position.

• thanks for MHO and yeah i thought i had BDD, i used to go shopping for myself and get multiple sizes too small and be confused as to why it didn't fit. when i lost weight, it disappeared but i understand what you mean, it can breed self hate in people who are insecure.

What Guys Said 13

• They ask strangers because chances are that strangers will not base part of their answer related to the personality and other things of the person being rated. Like, if you ask a close friend about your look then chances are that he/she will avoid saying anything too negative that can hurt you. But strangers are capable of giving you their true opinion with no relation to how they feel about your personality. Make sense?

• Doesn't answer the question of what benefit is it to do so? I have no problem with understanding that strangers can be blunt however what does the person asking the question gain from the answer if it was negative?

• Makes sense especially if the older (adult) people are answering these questions coming from the younger (teens).

• If the adult has the sense to tell the teen to see past the BS that's all well and good, but I've seen a lot who are jumping on the bad wagon of 'recommendations' That concept of recommendations alone is terrible and you're right it does go on! You recommend a restaurant, a university or a holiday destination, you don't judge and make recommendations on the aesthetics of someone, unless it's a close friend or family member you're confiding in who are more likely to do things in a sensitive and tactful way if necessary. The human body is a marvel and full of resilience, the human mind is a lot more fragile.

• I don't lol but or some reason they keep giving em to me ( kidding, partly ) in all seriousness though people are insecure and or need a boost in their confidence or they are frankly just shallow lol.

And society does not help at all in this area, neither does the media it fuels the mindset and mentality that you need to have approval from people whether it complete stranger or people you know.

It's a toxic mindset to think that your not attractive unless someone else tells you are, and it can and does lead to many bad things.

• They need it for confidence boosting. I have a pic if myself as my avatar but I'm also ugly but happy with the way i look. I can accept I'm not attractive. I don't need someone else telling me how I look or rank.

• Yes that's exactly it! I have a pic of me as my avatar so I don't feel like I'm hiding behind a character, but to actually ask people to rate your looks is very needy and not psychologically healthy.

• Kinda like constant selfies people take that they post on instagram for attention. It's our society and it's getting so gross. People need validation from anyone and then change to get positive responses instead of being who you are naturally.

• I don't, it's, en masse, the women that ask for opinions. The reason is obvious, why they do it. You would see countless topics asking for "honest" opinions.
    She seeks affirmation. Why here, is beyond me.

• It's crazy how people need their attractiveness validated through looks alone and from strangers who have no vested interest in being honest with the person.

• Borders on potential guilt-tripping and/or victimizing. I won't try to control the world, though, I'll just observe from the sidelines :P

• People have been socially conditioned to care more about their looks more and more, comparing themselves to the best looking on social media and overall mainstream media.

• Strangers don't have much reason to lie. They're less biased.

• They might believe that getting an opinion from stranger might be a honest one!

• I think people do that stuff just to get a gander of how other people feel they look. It's like just to see opinions and stuff.

• It's either insecurity or just plan curiosity of how others view you. Most people don't tell you what they really think of you but they will online. It shouldn't matter what others think but to some people it really, really does.

• can you rate me please? out of 10?

• cause people will fuck you or maybe they won't

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 5

• I think it is because society has taught us to dislike ourselves and to seek for approve and acceptance from others.

• Yes that's exactly what I thought the real reason behind it might be. It just fascinates and also worries me how it can affect people so much. My 8 yr old niece is already showing signs of appearance anxiety and I worry for my little boy to be growing up with this mentality.

• Yeah, it really is unfortunate.

• Receives unbias answers. Benefits? Knowledge on how people you don't know perceive you.
    Sometimes people who post pictures that are fishing for compliments are usually trolls.

• With regards to how people perceive you? Are you talking about maybe style, make up or even possibly those trying to put on, lose weight or muscle? If there's a real question regarding those then yes, I can see that (I've seen people asking opinions on if a certain outfit style suits) When someone is asking to have their face and body rated, for no reason and about things that aren't changeable without surgery, what benefit to that persons self esteem or confidence is it? Unless they already know they look fabulous and are therefore fishing for compliments, but negative comments, what is that doing?
      Society and the media are the real culprits, it's sites having specific topics, but the fact grown adults who should be able to see what is wrong with this, are joining in and that is troubling. What is that saying to the younger people who can be excused for such an immature (as in needing to seek approval) and superficial mindset given the media environment they've grown up in.

• It's nice to hear other opinions of people who will most likely not sugar coat the truth.

• What benefit will it be to you though, that's what I'm getting at. If it's a question on make up or style etc then I can completely understand that from what you've said. However to ask about physical features that are often unchangeable, what will it achieve?

• I guess srrangers tells you the blunt truth of how you look.

• by the way you look very pretty and your smart. Neuroscience is a very hard subject. You got beauty and brains. 😊

• Thank you sweetie, that's a really kind thing to say. You're very pretty yourself.
      Yes it is a very tough subject in and out of lab, there's actually a lot incorporated such as biochemistry, genetics, pathology and cell and molecular biology so it's easy to lose your mind mid semester haha.

• AMEN Sister!!

100% true everything you just said!

They post for compliments then when you put something they dont like they bitch at you, like these girls oh how does my stomach look... Well you should use a waist trainer to look more hour glass... The reply my waist is great...
    Ok, well a minute ago you were asking for opinions... All thirsty people!