Would I be seen as ugly or fat in Japan?

I am moving to Japan soon for my mother's work, I am fluent in Japanese, and I only want to know if I will be considered chubby or ugly. I am 5'2" and 109 pounds. The reason I am wondering is I do not want to be stared at for being chubby or ugly. I am a junior in high school. Would I be seen as ugly or fat in Japan?

Most Helpful Guy

• You seem to have a somewhat slim shape if I'm seeing it correctly. You'll be just fine, guaranteed. If some people get rude with you then they are not for you. Just continue doing whatever you are planning on doing in Japan and everything will work out fine.

Most Helpful Girl

• You'll totally be able to wear normal-sized clothes.

In fact, as a white person of normal dimensions, you will be pretty much fetishized over there. Really -- if you want to do print modeling, you'll totally be able to do it. Totally absolutely yeah.
    I'm speaking from firsthand experience -- I actually moved to Japan to do some modeling myself, when I was in my early twenties. I did editorial/fashion stuff (I'm a foot taller than you, and darker, too)... but, I saw plenty of totally normal-looking, American white people doing print modeling over there in Omotesando.

Are you going to one of the American schools?
    If so, then, you are going to be mostly surrounded by... well, Americans. They'll be more ethnically diverse than most, and a lot of them will have that "international school kid" look (= that unique look that comes from having certain uncommon kinds of mixed parentage)... but, they'll be American kids who eat an American-type diet, and, if you are 5'2" 110lbs, most of them will be bigger than you.

Also, if you are going to one of the American schools, then you and yr family will probably do ALL of yr shopping when you go back home to the States for Christmas and/or summer. (Clothing is WAY cheaper in the States, there's more variety, and... srsly, it's either that or buy everything at Donki.)
    I have a couple of friends who went to the American schools in Tokyo/Singapore/HK, and don't even own a single item of clothing actually purchased in Asia.

• And so yr age (on yr profile) must be wrong, then, I assume.

• Thank you. I do expect some bullying there actually, me being foreign and all, and I have experienced it in some places I have gone too.

I would expect nicely shaped legs too, I do understand what you are getting at when you say "nerd-soft" legs. That is a little something I never did notice. Hearing that does bring me some comfort, as I don't have the biggest gap between my thighs, only one big enough to see its there.

I have lived in Japan before, but only for a little under two months. I did try to limit my rice intake, and I am used to eating the foods there (I haven't tried all foods possible, I'm not a picky eater, I just tried not to eat too much). I do work out to try and keep a good metabolism. I would like to pm more about this if you don't mind!

• Don't mind at all!

What Guys Said 16

• No, you'd actually be the lower side of average actually.

What is different is clothing size, your small in the US would be a snug medium in Japan. Shoes would also be very much larger in letter.

• I don't think so, The mos likely reason reason if ever you'd be get stared at is because you are white.

• 22. Xenophobia renders this a non-issue.

• they will say "GOD-ZEEELAA DES"

• I don't know about Japan but in england you are skinny and attractive

• You'll be fine.

• You are hot in any nationality or language ;-)

• lol if you were ugly in japan you woud be nice cause most Asians aren't pretty at all

• mmmm delicious body ;)

• Not at all.

• otakus yuck

5 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 13

• I think ur a great shape and u look slim and pretty! but who cares what the Japanese think about you or anyone else. Just work what you got girl and if there mean about it and think ur chubby then they need to seriously reavaluate their thinking cause its messed up.

• you have a healthy weight for the rest of the world, don't let the crazy Japanese beauty standards change you

• whats the point of the question? are you planning on losing weight if people said yes?

if you're comfortable with your body here, then you should be comfortable with your body anywhere. dont let people infringe on your confidence.

• No you're not fat nor ugly

• No matter how thin you get, Japanese girls tend to have a more slender frame compared to Caucasian girls. They're more narrow-boned I guess. It's nothing against you. A lot of Japanese guy like a girl with a larger bum and larger boobs that Japanese girls sometimes don't have because of their tiny frames. They know you're a Westerner just by your white skin and features, so would know that naturally you're going to be taller/wider but will acknowledge that you are a slender girl.

• I'm pretty sure u are not chubby in any part of the world, looks like you have a healthy weight and u are NOT ugly
    Hope u enjoy Japan! :)

• Don't think about what other people will think or say about your body; if you like it then that's all that matters, at the end of the day it's your body, not theirs.

In my opinion you're not fat or ugly, I actually like your hairstyle a lot, it looks really pretty.

• I don't know can't really see your face... hair is in the way and that weird hat

• you are short and skinny, just dye your hair black and you'll fit in haha!

• No, you'll be always seen as gaijin and looked down upon.

• nope, your okay by their standards, your slender, fair and have big eyes 👌👌👌👌

• I think you'd be fine. also, fuck judgmental pricks. do you, girl.

• Honestly... They will prob see you as large, but that is because they are all super super petite, skinny and short tiny people.

You are completly normal sized for the most of the world!