What is the best way to find out whether or not you're attractive?

Polls have shown that most people think they're above average, in terms of looks. However, this is statistically impossible.
Since our self-perceptions are so flawed, how do we determine whether or not we're attractive?
If I ask my friends, they're going to tell me I'm pretty, regardless of whether they really think so or not. And I'm hesitant to post my pictures online, because I don't want to be stumbled upon by someone I know, and there's sometimes no way of taking them down.

Most Helpful Guy

• Try to actively piss as many people off on GAG--or whatever other website--then throw your picture up and ask people to rate it. If you can piss off enough people to a specific point where they are not quite fond of you, but also don't absolutely hate you, then they'll be more apt to give you an honest answer. Or you could meet someone like me, who doesn't give a fuck about telling someone their bad points.

Our perceptions are excessively flawed, for sure. The human brain pretty much sucks at everything. Memory is shit: they degrade over time, or meld with other memories to form entirely different, fake memories; are remembered with a substantial bias, shifting the memory into a less damaging one for the rememberer. That said. It is the only means one has to perceive the world. The only thing you can do is accept the senses that you have.

Studies have also shown that the less competent a person is, the more competent they think they are. People who have above average competence tend to rate themselves less surely than do those with average or below average.

When it comes to getting the truth out of other people, you either have to use some form of manipulation or simply take them at their word. Even if you do use manipulation, you really won't know what the end result will be: you ultimately have to use an educated guess. Simply put, you can't see inside someone's head. The only method you have to determine their truth is via what they say and how they act.

As for your appearance, you can actively gauge how other people treat you. Good looking people tend to get treated better than ugly people. in my opinion. Average people usually get treated averagely. Particularly if you're female, since males primarily look at attractiveness--so if you get tons of male attention, chances are it's not for your brain.

All you really need is a guesstimate. Below average - average - or above average. You should be able to determine about where you sit in those ranges. Trust me, people who are actively ugly know they're pretty ugly, because they get treated differently than others. People who are totally banging hot, know they're banging hot, because of how they're treated by other people. Models who get paid hundreds of thousands know *why* they're getting paid. That's how I see it, anyway.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's easier for girls to determine this by the reaction they get by strangers while walking around the street, mall, park, school, beach.,, etc... Etc...

And even more so if you're in a group of girls... You can definitely tell who gets the most attention, without being loud or crazy to catch attention... And the type of attention matter too..

I think that the most honest way to get a good idea of how attractive one is...

For guys, it could be more difficult, as most girls even when they find a girl attractive the most one will do is give quick glances... Most won't stare or even make sounds or whistle at guys even if they are super attractive... Simply because we are not like that... Well most of us won't do that... Some girls will stare, but it's very rare... So for us girls it's easier to determine this, than it is for guys...

And yes, a girl who is half naked will get more attention than someone who is covered, but those girls can also determine if they in fact are attractive by comparing if they get any attention at all when they are dressed normally and not with a boob hanging out half way or an ass sticking out of some jeans and such... Etc.. etc..

• I mean when a girl finds a GUY attractive, the most she will do is give some quick glances... Lol not a girl to a girl... Typo.. 😁

What Guys Said 19

• Appearance, especially as perceived from images and tags/descriptions are incredibly shallow and misleading.

What makes a girl beautiful is how she behaves and her natural mannerisms.

The girl I fell in love with would literally rank below average if her picture was posted on the Internet. She's Asian, and very slim and slight of frame. Her style is tomboyish. She has almost no curves.

Yet, the love was real and I still love her for EVERYTHING that she is, including her flaws. Isn't that what matters in the end? Isn't that type of love what you should be striving for, rather than how you look on a superficial basis? It's obvious to me, but I'm crazy... and a little unwell. ;)

• "What is the best way to find out whether or not you're attractive?" It's simple really, just go around other people and they'll let you know how ugly you are or aren't.

If you're being cat called, eye fucked, flirted with, complimented, treated or given special treatment a lot by the opposite gender etc It's a good chance they you look good.

Overall like they always say "good looking people get treated better" by other people.

• And you could always just go look at 80% of people who're walking around outside that are not packing any "eye candy" whatsoever...

• Even posting here, you would get biased answers. there is no perfect way.

But what does it matter? If you are attracting people, that should be enough.

• you're right people have a bias either positive or negative however since its a subjective thing i think you will or more less find the answer in other people and how they view your looks. Do people more often find you attractive or unattractive. If you asked a random person on the street if they would consider you a good looking person what would they say? It's imperfect but i'd say pretty accurate. it would be important to state the question is do you consider the person an attractive person to most people based on your understanding of the general populations tastes not your tastes

• That is a tough one because everyone has a different view so unless you have a huge poll it is hard to get accurate response. It is probably flawed but I would go with your own feelings and try to make them as positive as possible. If you think you are attractive it gives you confidence which is an attractive quality within itself.

• Confidence. That's it. People are attracted to people who are confident in whatever they do regardless of what they look like. Yes, physical attractiveness helps but it can only go so far.

In the end you're still going to live with how you look like for the rest of your life. So why worry? But confidence can turn that ugly mug into a bright sun that everyone will be happy to look at.

Also don't compare yourself to others. The bad thing about social media is that the pressure of not looking like those attractive people online. Don't get swept up with it

• Ask people to rate you online. There is typically a rating that over 50% of the poll answers choose.

• When you walk around the mall and school and you get looks

• Compliments, success with approaching and getting dates

• I know what you mean on that. I feel like I'm an ugly man. Even though people say I look fine, it's easy to believe they are just being nice.
    I guess a way to tell is if you get checked out by women a lot. I know I do. But I don't really know when a woman stares at me is if I am attractive or they are staring because Im funny looking.

• i know that im attractive or not by people, when i go outside a lot of girls stare at me and smile. judging by your profile picture im sure you are very attractive.

• No idea, I personally think I'm more attractive than I probably am. :o

• why are you girls so obsessed with that stuff? enjoy your life do what you want and why do you care what people think?

• You look good but your personality could mess that all up

• well guys have a built in lie detector when it comes to how sexually attracted they are to you lol

• Stop a stangers nd ask them! if you can't do it with your friends.

3 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 3

• it's pretty easy to tell, do you get compliments a lot? do you get hit on often? i know a girl who is considered a 10/10 and i don't like going places with her because she will get interrogated by taxi drivers about if she's single.

• It won't matter how attractive anybody else finds you if you don't find yourself attractive.

• Look at your mirror, stare at your reflection start singing "Reflection" from Fifth Harmony.