Pictures of myself ruin my confidence. Are pictures what we really look like?

I really like the way I look in the mirror. I think I'm beautiful when I look in the mirror. But whenever I see pictures of myself I cringe. I look so ugly in pictures. So I don't know what's real. I wish I could see how I look to others.

Most Helpful Guy

• Bad photographers. Pictures can make a big difference when comparing to how you truly look. In other words, pictures don't always tell the truth. Same goes for how we all see each other differently. We all have our own eyes and minds. What you see in yourself can be very different from what another person sees in you.

Most Helpful Girl

• yep they are what we really like but we might think we look uglier because in the mirror we are seeing the reverse image of ourselves which we are so use to but a photo will show you how your face actually looks like to other people. Changing the lighting and angle can make you look a lot better. Don't feel bad, I'm sure you're a lot more attractive than you think

What Guys Said 7

• some people just aren't photogenic.

what you look like in real life is what counts

• Unless a photograph is really angled well, it's not going to make you look good. Look at photos of others you know in real life and you'll see that usually the photograph doesn't do them justice.

The face and body are three-dimensional structures that can't be effectively reduced to two dimensions.

• Some people are not photogenic, others just judge themselves really harshly in photos, any number of reasons, not many based in reality.

• Mirror is most definitely not real since it inverts your image.
    But sadly, pictures is the way you really look like. (there is still some leeway with lighting and depth perception and whatever, but still)

That being said, since you are used to seeing yourself in the mirror there is a perceived bias.
    Others are used to your visage in real life and thus don't find you looking "weird" like you find yourself on pictures.

• No. There are a lot of variables to a picture.
    1) Quality.
    2) Flash.
    3) Angle.
    4) Focus.
    5) Photo improvements (think HDR).

• I am the same, my pictures add weight to me making me look heavy when Im not that big, i always find something wrong with my pictures, we are our harshest judges

• just you aren't photogenic. You need a very good photographer. But don't worry others watch you in a motion.

What Girls Said 3

• nope, we are 3d. if we looked like pictures then i wouldn't be able to take ugly pics ever.

• People tell me I look better irl. But that might just be tryin to make me feel better.

• Phones can have really bad cameras for everyone. But if you are using a digital camera, then try different modes and angles.