Why are people so obsessed with physicality when there are so many other aspects to explore about a person?

Most Helpful Guy

• most folks have tiny pea brains... They don't really have any aspect of their inner selves worth sharing... They've been programmed to ignore their mental selves and focus on their external appearance... They can't value their thoughts and ideas... They have none... It's like expecting a guy with amputated arms to flex his biceps

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree. The personality is what makes the person Beautiful. Unfortunately, nowadays people are sheep and just go with whatever the media says this is what matters and what's in! Being big booty, big ass boobs, tiny waist, gap thighs, big hips Bulky, and so on. And the follow it like no tomorrow! It sucks.
    But I guess in a way, feeling confident in your body n all can really change your thinking too. Which is probably why people obsess over it.

What Guys Said 18

• There's a lot you can tell about a person just by looking at them.

Someone overweight is likely unhappy about their life, which causes them to seek out food to be happy. They also probably have a below average amount of self control. Overweight people are much more likely to be unhealthy die sooner.

The manner in which a person walks and the position in which they hold their head conveys a lot about their confidence. People who walk around slouched or have the head down show that they don't have confidence and don't feel like that have anything to be proud of.

Big muscles convey a sense of strength and health, of which women are strongly attracted to. Women are weaker and seek protection, as well as want a healthier partner to father their children. Being weak shows that you aren't able to defend a woman and also possibly that you are unhealthy and/or lazy.

Someone who dresses nice is likely to be a leader and commands the respect of others and has a strong work ethic. People who have expensive clothes are likely successful which is why they have money to buy nicer clothes. Have cheap clothes and poor groom habits shows that don't have much going on in your life since you don't seem to care about being someone that others can look up to.

Facial features like jaw shape indicates a guy has high testosterone, or big breasts indicate a woman has high estrogen, both indicate strong and health hormone levels and good reproductive partners.

And sure, there are people out there who just got unlucky in the genetic lottery. No matter how much they try they're never going to be above a 6 or a 7 in physical beauty. However, for the vast majority of people they could be a 9 or 10 if they tried had enough and put in the effort. Ask any guy who has gone from being obese or overweight, to being ripped with 6pac abs.

Is it shallow to want someone attractive? Absolutely not. Physical beauty does not exist in a vacuum, as it reveals a lot about a person's personality and lifestyle. If you're constantly dumping people just to move on to the next slightly more attractive person, or if you're dating someone just to show them off even when you have little or nothing in common, then yes that's shallow. But not dating someone because they're overweight or because they dress poorly? Not shallow at all.

• You are definitely speaking the truth with this question - There is more to life than looks

• I don't know...

I kinda hate it. Logically I know looks are temporary and that they shouldn't be the main focus but when I see a hot/beautiful girl it just fucks with my mind and all I can think about is how great it would be to see her naked and get her into bed.

Its not like a conscious choice, thats just where my mind goes 😣

• Because they want beautiful children in future, we may not even know that we are thinking that way but it's hard-wired in our brains!

Nobody looks at ugly girls and goes "I wish she would be the mother of my child some day".

• I agree that there is much more we can enjoy in a relationship than just looks and sex. Of course most of us enjoy sex and being physically attracted to a partner can increase physical desire and pleasure.

Maybe you mean to ask why lots of guys only or mostly seem to care about looks? For a lot of those guys sex is their primary interest.

• Looks are temporary, personality is forever

• Physical appearance attracts people because people are hard-wired to seek out genetically compatible mates for healthier offspring.

Obviously you'll want to date someone whom you find attractive, then.

• Because humans are visual creatures, most have to like, or at least accept, what they see before the aree willing to explore other things.

• Because biology. Romantic relationships are, at the core, about sex and reproduction. That's physical. Hence, physicality is number 1 in romantic relationships.

• becuz it make willy feel nice c:

• Can you bang personality doe

• because our eyes are in the front of our head... 80% of the information we gather is from vision.

• Because it's the most obvious and easy to find.

• Vision. It's a good thing. We want to be the best and have the best things.

• Because sex

• Because it's the first thing you see.

• You are right, there are more to a person than just their look. Which is why a physical attraction is my minimum requirement before I decide I wanna know more about a girl.

• Well, at least some men out here have their heads on straight.
      Thank you.

• Because it's what you see when you meet /see a new person each and every time.
    Would you even bother picking up a book if it had untidy messy odd weird cover and printed very badly , no matter how well the content is inside it, this book will lie neglected in one corner.

• I'm compelled to say this oft-repeated cliched sentence ---- "Never judge a book by its cover."

Funny, you should take up an analogy with books. As a bibliophile, not one book on my numerous shelves can complain of being neglected.
      But that's beside the point. Its a grave mistake to judge things by their externalities.
      Continuing with the analogy you used, its often the ugliest books that have the best stories.

• Do the ugliest books by cover and with poor page quality or printing ever attract your attention when searching for books in a bookstore?
      No
      Same is the case with people. Plus we feel much confident if we are physically attractive and appealing

• To your first question, the cover of the book and its print has nothing to do with the stuff inside it. So, why wouldn't I pick it up?
      You assumed the wrong answer.
      My mind works the same way for people as it does for books. I know, it sounds funny. But that's the way it is.

What Girls Said 4

• Shallowness. Once they see something visually pleasing they just can't get enough of it. They rush in and jump into bed with people before they get to know them, as a result. . . it all ends in tears. This is why I'd rather to it the right way around. I had this guy that had been staring at me, following me around and trying to get close to me for years. He could talk to everyone else but not me. To me that speaks volumes. He was not interested enough in getting to know me.

• Because the first thing you see and what attracts is usually looks. Ofcourse a good personality is whats going to make the relationship last but there has to be some type of physical attraction. Ever heard of the quote: "Beauty attracts the eye but personality captures the heart" ?

• Thats the way, theyve been brought up. Until they get scammed by the hot girl. 😂

• Because it's the easiest thing to understand and to change. It's complicated to say exactly what you like in the mimd of a certain person or what kind of personality you're looking for, because there are so many options and everyone is unique. It's also difficult to work on your own personality because you can't really see it.

It's easy to say "I like brown eyes" or "should or shouldn't I cut my hair?"