Makeup Gurus! Any Tips on Makeup?

I've recently just got into makeup and I don't know much but I just have a lot of questions... hopefully someone can answer them.
Makeup Gurus! Any Tips on Makeup?Before ^ No makeup
After ^ with makeup
Little Patches? This part bothers me and I don't know how to fix it... :(
Makeup picture that makes me look too dark for my skin...

Any recommended foundations that are light but cover my skin?
my skin is oily I would say

Is makeup suppose to feel chalky?

I think I have a little bit too dark of foundation. Can you see if it is?

I don't have a buffing brush. Should I get one?

How to get more of a natural but beautiful look?

Any tips for beginners?

Most Helpful Guy

• Any recommended foundations that are light but cover my skin?
    my skin is oily I would say
    -If you have problems with oily skin, there is a myTake which covers that quite well:
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a26985-a-few-ways-to-get-beautiful-skin
    Moreover, I'd say wash and cleanse your skin properly before you apply the foundation. They say one should use certain skin care products to get rid of the oiliness, if needed, but I'm not so sure about how good that stuff is for one's skin health.

Is makeup suppose to feel chalky?
    -That powdery stuff can feel chalky, yes, but I don't know if it is suposed to feel like that, or whether it has to do with the quality/quantity of the used make-up.

-It looks good, I'd say, but it's difficult to see due to the lighting. Generally they advise to use foundation that's either your skin colour or a shade lighter.

-Could be helpful. MissPanda's comment answers this question quite good I think. I think it also depends whether you use this powdery stuff or some cream. I would generally recommend the latter one.

-I'd say just some good foundation (but nothing to obvious, just to cover up the irregularities of the skin) and some very light eye-liner and eye-shadow, if you want. You can also experiment with concealer, if you like.

Any tips for beginners?

http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Makeup-for-Beginners
    themakeupchair.blogspot.de/.../...r-beginners.html
    www.rookiemag.com/.../

I think those links can be quite helpful.

Most Helpful Girl

• What kind of foundation are you using? Do you apply a finishing powder which may contribute to the "cakiness"? Personally, I find that powder foundations (and mousse) don't combine well with oily skin. Combination and oily skin types should stick with light BB/CC creams (CC for more coverage) and a liquid concealer for blemishes and under eye circles. If you must use powder, opt for one that is translucent and controls shine.. Not only will it set your foundation, but it will reduce shine caused by the oil on your skin to keep your face from looking greasy.

Another thing that can help prevent cakey makeup is to use a primer before you apply your foundation. Primers help your makeup go on smoother and prevents it from smudging off during the day. I find it more effective to apply it when your skin is somewhat damp (not wet), and that the primer is completely dry before you apply foundation.

○ My personal favorite is the Regenerist Complexion Corrector by Olay w/ SPF 15. It's very light but has better coverage than BB cream.

Is makeup suppose to feel chalky?
    ○ No. The reason your foundation feels chalky is because there isn't any barrier between your makeup and your skin. If your skin is already uneven, adding foundation over top of that will only extenuate your pores. Applying a primer on damp skin before your foundation will likely get rid of that problem.

○ I can't really tell by the lighting in the picture, but I don't think it's too dark. As a general rule, it's always a good idea to go one shade lighter than your natural skin tone if you aren't sure which shade you are. Most drugstores and cosmetic stores also have testers for you to try before you make a purchase.

○ Definitely. Using your fingers can work for some people, but it can be difficult to apply foundation evenly, in which case investing in a beauty blender can be helpful.

○ Keep your foundation light by using a BB or CC cream, minimize dark circles and other blemishes with a liquid concealer, line your top lid only with a pencil liner and add a touch of mascara. If you're not feeling the heaviness of lipstick, a bit of tinted chapstick can go a long way to improve your looks.

• I use Maybelline's fit me foundation, and I use airspun loose face powder :P I look at my foundation in natural light and my skin looks like a put a lot of bronzer on my face

• The powder might be what's causing your makeup to look cakey , and it also could be that your foundation is the wrong shade. Try staying away from the powder for a while and see how it affects your skin.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• Was it a foundation you used and then a powder on top?

When ever I get bumpy bits its usually because I've got dry patches on my skin and the powder clings to it. So maybe make sure to moisturise the night before or something? (a buffing brush might help i guess) I dunno though it might just be skin bumps, sometimes makeup highlights the imperfections instead of fixing them lol.
    . I have really pale skin too so I have to use the lightest makeup possible…and even then… I usually buy foundation that is colour match so it automatically matches your skin, in ‘ivory’ shade.
    Then if u feel washed out, I think a nice blusher on you would really help to warm up your skin. You just have to be careful not to overdo it and look clownish lol. Use a powder and brush (not a cream blush) as its easier to apply.
    You could try a light bronzer too along your forehead, nose and chin and the hollows of your cheeks when you suck them in. But its very important to not over do that and to get your base right first otherwise you will just end up looking weird and patchy haha.

• I'm not really a makeup guru but how do you apply your foundation? Are you doing it with your fingers? Try using a beauty blender or a brush and it should blend better. I don't really wear foundation because I hate that cakey look too. Have you tried a cc cream? It has some tint without being cakey.

• Makeup should not be chalky. You most likely have dry skin. Use a moisturizer and a dewy finish foundation. If you have dry skin, don't use a matte finish foundation.
    You can use a makeup sponge for application (usually cheaper than a brush and works better imo).
    And I recommend Lorael Infallible or Maybelline fit me.