Should I try to lose some weight?

Should I try to lose some weight?
I've been getting some pressure from my parents to lose weight lately and I don't really know why. I'm 5'6" and my weight fluctuates between 138 and 142ish. My doctor says I'm healthy (not under or overweight) and when I play softball I don't have any problems running or anything like that. Still, I've noticed that most of the girls at school are smaller than me, and very few are my size or bigger. Both of my parents are very conscious of weight and health, they workout every day and don't eat junk food often at all. I feel like I eat both healthy and sometimes unhealthy, but I eat healthy more often. I felt fairly confident in my weight/body before my parents started making comments like "you shouldn't eat that" or "you should come work out with us more" or point to my stomach and say "woah what's that?". Now I'm not so sure that I am as healthy/skinny as I thought. Please be honest but don't be rude, I did not post this to be told I am ugly or pale (I don't tan okay?) I just want some people with no bias to look at my body and give an honest opinion on whether or not I should lose weight.

Most Helpful Guy

• First off Ky_rose I'd like to compliment you on your articulation, confidence, and maturity. You seem for your age pretty smart with a good head on your shoulders.

Next is to address your body. You are very correct and your parents are not. As you mentioned physically you went to the doctor and he agreed you are fine weight wise.

Now for the most important thing. Please if I can get a few people to understand this... and that is don't compare yourself to anyone. Not your parents, not classmate, celebrities or anyone else ever no matter what. And you are doing so well too. You feel good playing sports and doing the activities mentioned and that's really important. You even had the confidence to accept yourself until your parents put this idea in your head. One thing I've learned is parents make mistakes (and they made a big one here).

Please realize that even so others may be thinner than you they still are not in your body. So don't compare to them. You are a great young lady who is confident and healthy.

When your parents say, 'Look at (whatever they criticise)' you can say, 'I'm fine with my choices right now thank you.' If they say more then tell them or remind them the doctor thinks your in the right place physically.

Good luck!!

• Thank you, I really appreciate everything you said! I try not to be immature as I know how irritating it can be when others my age act like children, but then complain when they are treated exactly as they act. What you said about not comparing yourself to others makes a lot of sense, and I honestly do try not to. It is difficult though, I feel like it's human nature at times, sort of like competing with others is in our genes, no matter what exactly we're competing against each other with (be it our bodies or minds or talents etc.) part of competition is comparison. So maybe that's why it's so difficult not to compare ourselves once that seed of doubt has been planted.

• Thank you, that's smart and can be applied to situations other than the one you just mentioned so I'll tuck that away for when I need it! Also, you're right about getting rid of the "seed of doubt" haha.

• No problem. I'm here to help if you need it.

Most Helpful Girl

• You look about the same as me, and I get the same thing from my parents. I think that as long as you're healthy, it doesn't matter what you look like. You're curvy, and also it's really normal for a woman to have a stomach... There are some pretty important organs in there!

What Guys Said 47

• Surprised your parents are saying that. Your shape and weight seems just fine. Would be understandable for them to say that if your were obese and it was not good for your health but with the body you got that is surprising. I don't think you should lose any weight especially since you feel comfortable with your look. Try to prevent their opinions or shaming take you down. Be proud of what you got.

• You probably don't need to and that is certain. It's unfortunate your parent are making you feel self conscious. You don't look bad. If you wanted to you could lose whatever weight you have and look even better than you do now, but you don't need to if you don't want to.

• You are not overweight and you are attractive as you are, but you might look even better if you lost 5 pounds. Your parents sound like they have anorexic thinking.

• i think you look great and personally don't think you need to lose weight at all

• YES, you should try lose some weight cos your not you don't look perfect like some other comments say here's some help
    http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

• I'm not trying to be perfect :) I'm asking if I look overweight or unhealthy. Thank you for your opinion though!

• i said you were healthy but I always believe in improvement I used to look like you a few years ago a little bit of belly fat but in the healthy age range until I started going to the gym and now I feel and look better.

• I didn't say you didn't! :) It's awesome that you believe in improvement, that's a great mindset to have, and I'm glad you found out what weight makes you feel healthy. If you'll look at my conversation on this question with @iron_man, I think that some of my answers can apply to you too! (Sorry, I don't really feel like repeating them!)

• You look fine. And if you play softball then you're exercising. Honestly if you eat healthy and get some exercise regularly then whatever figure you have is a healthy figure for your body.

• I am fascinated by how they shame you for your body even though you are a healthy weight and you have a healthy looking body.

• They were both overweight as kids and I think they may be a little paranoid, I try to not take their comments too seriously but I was just beginning to wonder if they were actually right about me needing to lose weight.

• Your not bad at all but yes you could stand to drop some weight

• About how much do you think would be good?

• Thank you! :)

• You are very welome

• Yes you should, tone up too. You aren't fat tho

• Can I ask you something. Are you a Doctor? Probably not. If someone with a medical diploma told you that you are healthy, then why the fuck would you wan't to loose weight?

So what if some girls are skinnier? You look healthy and not under-weight, I will never understand why woman do this to themselves. In the name of proving some retarded childish fact to others?

• I think your parents are a bit too body conscious, you seem fine to me

• Yea you look perfectly healthy to me and you look great too. Sculpting your body is a way of life and there is always room for that if you're interested.

• Your body looks good, just focus on health and you'll be fine. ☺

• No You have a great body, if YOU want to tone then tone but I Think you look good just like this. I don't think you should change just cause other people think you should do it for yourself :)

• no i dont think so your body is still changing

• Are don't need to loose any weight

• Just tell your parents you're 125 the next time they ask. You look fine to me.

• Like 8-10 pounds?

• You don't need to lose any weight. You're already in pretty good shape and you look good

• A bit toning will be sufficient tbh
    You look good
    Nice boobs and butt though :P

• Ignore them, you look great.

• You're fine, trust me

• Naw ur good

• Nah you are good girl ;)

• No you look pretty well toned to me

• gain some, maybe.

• No u look great , don't lose weight

• ... yeah

• No way man. You look spot on

• I think you look great.

• More from Guys
    17

9 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 11

• No. Your parents are such shallow health freaks. Sorry i should have put health freaks like this "health" freaks. Because being as skinny as you can doesn't mean being healthy. Being healthy is a life style, not a size. As long as you know you're eating healthy and doing good things to your body and soul (yes, cake once in a while is good for the soul), don't listen to your "health" freaks shallow folks. So fucking shallow I could slap them. No parents should criticize their kid's body unless the kid is getting to be quite unhealthy.

• I'm not sure I put them in the best light in my question. Both of them struggled with their weight growing up and they bond over working out and being healthy - not skinny. Which is why I took their comments seriously, because it isn't like them to want someone to be skinny over being healthy. I believe they're only doing/saying those things because they don't want me to be overweight like they were as children. Not to discourage me or be "shallow health freaks" as you so eloquently put it XD But thank you for your passionate defense of me, you don't even know me and I feel like you would love to give them a piece of you mind for making me feel self-conscious haha, its nice.

• Yeah well I have had family members commenting and making fun of my body since I could remember. I would hate that to happen to anyone. Comments about your body from family is the worst. Family is supposed to be a safe haven, they're supposed to accept you and love you no matter what size you are. Not criticize you because you're a tad bigger than other kids your age. So yes, I was ready to attack your parents of they were doing that to you. If you feel perfectly healthy and happy in your own skin, then close your ears to what people say. Cause after all, that's all that matters. What the doc says and how you feel in your own body.

• You don't appear to be overweight or like you really need to "lose weight." If you want, you could still exercise more just to tone up some but overall, I think you look fine. :)

• You look ok as is young lady.

Why do y'all still allow private opinions on under 18? :/

@DiogoRibeiro
    @RedRain
    @Menguc
    @xHoneyxBeex

• This bothers me too.

• @Remembermyname4 yes, it's usually dudes being creepy.

• @asker, I understand that but there are certain users here who don't mind hitting on young girls.

As for my opinion, you look perfectly ok. If you really insisted, you can perhaps run, dance, or swim. But do it for fun and your health, as you look nice as is.

• I think your parents should be more concerned that their actions are making their fifteen year old daughter post a picture of herself in a bra with her face partially showing on the Internet.

• It wasn't posted with any sexual theme, just simply to show my weight honestly. You act as if I posted this picture with the intent of it being taken sexually. No, my bra is plain and covers everything it needs to, it covers more than a lot of girls shirts cover these days and I'm wearing shorts that cover everything they need to. If I had worn a bikini top instead of a bra no one would say a word. Also, my face is almost completely covered, no one can tell who I am. Lastly, if you think I'm too young to post something like this, then I'm too young for you to be sexualizing it. Please do yourself a favor and keep these kind of opinions to yourself next time okay?

• I'm sure your parents just care about you but I don't believe that kind of pressure is healthy. ESPECIALLY, since you don't appear overweight at all.

• It is a little discouraging, I honestly didn't have any issues with my body before they began to make comments. Now I feel like I notice flaws a lot, and I compare myself to other girls much more frequently.

• You got it! Two years from now when I've gained fifteen pounds I'll look back and remember someone on a website telling me I needed to be careful hahaha

• You look perfect! If you feel nice and healthy, don't worry about your weight! Love your bod and tell your parents to leave you well enough alone about it!

• No... I guess you are really perfect... I've always found that men love to touch something else than bones

• That's not really what I'm going for haha, I just want to make sure I'm healthy!

• I'm glad you've almost fixed it! Good job :)

• Yep not perfetto but it's far better than before

• Dont worry you're fine, i wish i had your body lol

• I'm sure your body is beautiful, and if you had mine you wouldn't be you anymore (which would stink because then the world would be deprived of the awesome person you are). If you really think you should change your body then that's up to you, I don't actually know what your body looks like so only you can decide if it needs to change!

• you're sweet, that was very uplifting, thank you. But dont listen to your parents and those people who tell you to loose weight, your body is perfectly healthy and normal you dont have to do anything about it

• You're welcome, and thank you! :P

• You look good. Wish I had a body like that.

• U look fine m8

• U look fine ,, u don't need to