So I have body dysmorphic disorder, what do I do?

Yesterday i was looking around and i realized i have a psychological illness called body dysmorphic disorder (BDD). What it means is
"A mental illness involving obsessive focus on a perceived flaw in appearance."

Now the thing is I live in a place where discussing something like this is a social stigma and will make me a butt of all jokes so going to a psychiatrist is NOT an option. How do i counter it then?

Most Helpful Girl

• Judging by ur past questions of appearance I could tell u were very obsessed. I recommend therapy

Most Helpful Guy

• I think I may have it too although assuming you're who I think you are, I dont think I have it as bad as you do, or at least I maybe internerlize it more.

I think seeing a therapist/psycologist is generally the reccomended path for countering it.

What Girls Said 1

• As someone who has struggled with BD and an eating disorder and various other mental illnesses, I would tell you to get diagnosed by a professional. If you're 18 or over, no one else will need to know (that's how it is in the states at least) and get on a good medication. Celexa and lexapro has worked great for me. Good luck!

• I'm currently in a place called Kashmir, its a very Islamic area, as conservative as core middle East so yeah, none of the therapy is happening

What Guys Said 2

• I am not surprised judging by your posts - Check out online support sites and forums, you may find other Indians who feel same way you do, they may have tips.

• Go to a social worker - by law they have to keep all things confidential unless it involves someone being hurt.