Guys, Why do some companies force girls to wear heels at work?

My manager at work, he says that I have to wear heels whilst at work and also my boyfriend says I look hot in heels so I should wear them. Guys are lucky as they get to wear comfortable shoes or boots

27

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, loafers are actually not the most comfortable of shoes, admittedly though from everything I have heard high heels are almost certainly worse. Neither your boyfriend nor your manager should force you to wear heels, but your manager probably has that power. I guess he feels it makes you look professional.

What Guys Said 26

• You have obviously never had to work a day in a man's pair of dress shoes.
    Formal clothing is rarely comfortable, and men had expectations for what they can/should wear, and also face a trip to HR and a talking to if they don't meet the dress code.
    Do you think a shirt buttoned to your neck, and a tie, is comfortable?

• most guys don't wear ties at work anymore and have their collar open so they are comfortable

• Too much time in high heels can mean bruises of the size of the pancakes -
    VIN DIESEL said that in movie XXX Maybe your manager is a moron..

• Need something exciting to get through the work day lol jk

• many feel that i guess heels are more professional

wouldn't say guys are lucky. in my office guys have to wear dress shoes while girls can wear heals, flats and even opened toed shoes

all depends on your employer

• Check your actual company policy, not just what your manager says. This happened recently to a waitress and made pretty big news:

www.independent.co.uk/.../...ng-feet-a7025466.html

The thing is, the policy actually stipulates that men and women are required to wear "professional" shoes. The manager actually over-interpreted this to mean "dress shoes for men, heels for women".

The moral of the story is: make sure it isn't just an overzealous manager, because you may not have to wear heels after all, and you should tell your manager if company policy says otherwise. If he refuses to acknowledge after that conversation lodge a complaint.

• They probably want you to look hot... proper heels force an attractive girl to basically walk on tiptoes which makes her look super sexy

• Its unfair that we have to walk on our toes and balance trying not to fall over so that guys can enjoy the sight of us struggling which turns them on. It must be awesome to be a guy and wear comfortable clothes and look hot. Do you like that girls often have to wear heels walking on their toes? I bet your glad to be a guy

• i wear 5 inch heels at work and 6 inch heels at weekends

• Because you can't sneak up on people in heels

• Not all men's dress shoes are that comfortable (but mine are!).

The "heels required" is odd unless you work in a strip club. However, "professional shoes" which includes heels as well as other decent looking shoes (not including flip flops, crocs, etc.) should be OK.
    I'm all for dress codes that state no uncovered skin below the waist (for women and men!). I hate the "bare leg look" that became popular in the States in the last decade. And don't even get me started on guys that wear loafers with no socks...

• I don't know why companies would do that. I don't think they should. A woman can be dressed very professionally without wearing heels. And it's just wrong to require a woman to wear those all day long.

• Attract customers?
    Heels might fit best for the environment you work in.
    - Ask your manager if it bothers you -

• They do? That sounds retarded. I've never been much of a fan of heels, but I know they're somehow preferable in the workplace. Though this is the first time I've heard them being mandatory. What do you do? Something with customer interaction, I'd guess? Cause I'm a software developer and walk around without any shoes on (just socks) lol. I appreciate the little things of the job :D

• Heels are hot to see turn on

• because esthetics are more attractive than practicality? (example : louboutins heels are super sexy but not practical... ugg boots are ugly as fuck but comfy...)
    if your goal is to please the client and to attract new clients you want to look appealing...
    YES it is completely unfair : welcome to the real world

• Really, I think that is totally discrimination! You should be able to wear whatever is comfortable and has a business appearance!

• because they look classy and professional

• I've worked in many professional environments. Never were heels manditory. Where do you work that it would be so? Only place I know that requires heels involves a pole.

• where do you work?

• cheat and wear platforms. Still have the shape without the pain.

• Heels are hottttt and lmao you seem to be pretty obsessed with it OP

• Well I don't know you should ask your asshole boss or manager or whatever he is.

• Do you work with customers?

• because it makes you the sex object they think you are!

• They do? Why are you asking me? That seems like a stupid rule.

• Why would he force you to wear heels?

• The shoe lobby.

High heel shoes are stupid, but the shoe industry refuses to let them die out because of fears about profit loss. The makers of high heeled shoes force some to wear them and bribe companies to make it a requirement.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more