Does life get better once you lose weight?

I've lost 20 kg in the past year, I used to be very overweight 94 kg and I'm 169cm tall. Now I weight 74 on a good day. I still consider myself overweight and I don't feel attractive. My life improved a lot, I socialise a lot more now, but I'm still not completely satisfied with my social life.

I was wondering if anyone's lost a substantial amount of weight on here and how it has affected your life. Did your friendship circle grow?

Most Helpful Guy

• Apart from anything else you should feel healthier and better about yourself which may lead to more confidence which helps with making friends - There are many things that affect your social life - The way I look at it is that it more than likely won't harm your social life and you will feel healthier.

Most Helpful Girl

• Dear. Congratulations on getting one more step closer to be healthy, and with less risk of having cardiac problems, diabetes etc. It is a great thing that you are able to lose weight for your well-being.

I think you should not feel unhappy about how you look, and do not discourage yourself by thinking you feel that way. Your beauty is your heart and mind, and behaviors. Not how you look, or how you will look like. If you have people around you who became your friend because you lose weight, it means they will leave you once you gain weight, and they are not your true friends. So do not think of having gained or lost weight gives you friends. Do lose weight only for your health.

But your social circle will grow for sure. I am sure there were activities you could not do before, because of shortage of breath etc maybe, now you can try those. You can attend the different programs and courses which require fit body like your new self. This will help grow your social circle: getting involved with more people in different kinds of activities.

I hope i make sense between the differences of these two things.

Maybe my case was not as similar to yours, but I may still give as an example. I myself was never over 65 kg, and I am 160 cm. So in general i was an average person. My normal weight is 53. Once I reach 65 (first year of college) I had hard time and easily got tired. I even refused to do things like snowboarding, hiking, climbing trips. And this was preventing me from meeting new people. Also, I was less self-confident because of the belly I grew and so I refused to go to beach in that year I gained weight, and I had not met a lot of summer people, because you can meet them while playing beach volley etc.

So, losing weight definitely helps you be more confident and involved with active life style and helps you meet new people through these activities. But be careful of people who are with you just because of your looks, not personality.

What Guys Said 5

• i think it has nothing to do with losing weight but once you lose weight i think you will feel a lot better about your self

• Well its honestly about your self-confidence and how happy you are with yourself.. People want to be around happy people so the happier you are the more people will want to be around you

• I weighed 130 kg a year ago. I lost 32 so far. I am now ok with my pictures being taken and being seen in public. It made a huge difference to my life.

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 4

• Losing weight would improve quality of life.. because it's an achievement and you begin to feel proud of yourself and gain confidence..
    But your not seeing that you still think your fat and not seeing a positive to what you have achieved , right now change your mindset first.. to grow your circle of friends you need a positive outlook, try dance class, you'll make new friends and lose weight at the same time, that's a positive

• I can't say.

• I am on the exact same boat as you, I still feel huge even though everyone tells me I'm not. I have it programmed into my head that I'm still a massive size so I'm wearing clothes that are four sizes too big for me. My group circle hasn't grown, if anything it has shrunk.

• No I've been skinny my entire life and I use to get bullied because of it