I'm balding in my early 20's. How bad is this going to hurt my chances with women in the future and is there anything I can do to slow it down?

People always tell me I'm a good looking guy. I'm 6'1", broad-shouldered, muscular, and in good shape. The major flaw I am facing however is my hairline is receding fast and the rest of the hair on the top of my is getting thinner and thinner. Looking at my family members, I could very well be bald by my late 20's / early 30's. I'm looking for honest opinions, is this going to ruin my dating game? Right now I use Rogaine which has helped to slow down my receding hairline, if anything. I looked into finasteride but decided it wasn't worth the decreased sex drive. I style my hair in a way that helps me still appear to have a full head of hair, but I'm worried I won't be able to do this for much longer. I'm not willing to shave/buzz my head just yet and I'm a little afraid to do so is my head looks oddly shaped without my hair and I just don't think I could pull it off right now. Is there anything I can do to slow down this process? I'm finally coming into my own and catching people's attention which has really helped to boost my already low confidence, but I feel like this hair thing could very well steal my thunder just as I'm starting to branch out and be somebody instead of the nerdy kid with low self-esteem that I was growing up. If there isn't anything I can do, what can I do to keep this from really taking a toll on my self-esteem?

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe alpecin caffeine shampoo helps? I don't know though, it depends on the person.

Most Helpful Guy

• Haha, you sound like me in college. I had to deal with the same thing. Did it hurt my dating game... yes and no. For a while it did, because it really hurt my confidence. I would try and hide it, or style it like you so it looked fuller. But by the end of college, it was obvious. I didn't want to be "that guy" so I just took a deep breath and shaved my head, not with a razor, just a trimmer. That being said, I still had girls that liked me, I'm not a bad looking guy, was just losing my hair a bit.

After shaving my head at first a few people gave me shit, but that ended quickly, I got used to it, and so did everyone else. Sure I didn't have as many women checking me out, but I still had some. College girls still care about shit like that.

Now I am almost thirty and have been shaving my head for almost 8 years. It feels natural, people can't imagine me with hair. I don't spend money on haircuts which is a plus. I will say though, I have a really nice round head, so it kind of works for me. Now other guys are starting to go bald to so it's not that big of a deal. Women my age can look past it.

My advice... Shave it. Get used to it, and own it. It's not going to magically start growing back, the sooner you do it the better. There will still be women interested in you. People can tell you are trying to hide it and it bothers you. If you just own it and don't give a fuck, you will actually gain more confidence and women like confidence above all else. Now I joke about it with women I meet, and it puts them at ease, they feel like they can talk about it without hurting my feelings and that is a turn on. Sack up, Shave it, and get used to it. That is the only solution.

• Also, something I have learned. Black girls love my shaved head for some reason. Not complaining cause I love their butts! If you are open to the dark side (haha) maybe try your luck!

What Girls Said 1

• Have you looked into bosley? It promotes hair regrowth.

What Guys Said 7

• Okay keep exploring the products - I was like you and it did cross my mind but at some stage you have to go "Right I could concentrate on my strengths or waste my energy thinking about small things" - In all honesty if a girl was put off solely by you balding, she would not be my type of girl - As I said before look at the products available, check the internet for hairstyles to cover male bald pattern or even go to a top notch male hairdressers to get advice and cut.

• If you're balding I suggest you to shave your head. There are plenty of girls that dig guys with shaved heads. There are guys who aren't even balding and still shave their heads yet girls still like that. If you're tall and muscular it will even work for your advantage. Think of The Rock, Vin Diesel or Jason Statham. Do they look like they have trouble getitng women?

• Find a girl who likes you for you. Not every female goes for someone with looks. You may not be able to go for the sexy girls. If you let your early balding stop you from trying to date girls then you may be single forever. First learn to love yourself cause this may be an insecurity that you'll deal with for the rest of your life. Like I said in my first sentence, find a girl who likes you for you. Good luck man.

• ..."you may not be able to go for the sexy girls"
      Not all girls care about guys' hair, it isn't as big a deal as women's hair. Most women I know would rather date a guy they find hot with a 'receding' hairline, than an ugly guy with a full head of hair

• @83chris so you should have no problem finding a girl than.

• It's told there are only two products which are proven to be effective on male-pattern hair loss: Minoxidil and Finasteride. (Especially this last one). And to be honest, what I don't like about Finasteride is that it's an hormonal treatment not a genetic one. The REAL solution would be battling the genes and not the hormones. You have hair transplant, but it's not a definitive solution and it's not recommended for so young men (20s) because you still gotta lose hair.

• Dw bald can look good

• If you were a skinny little guy, you would be screwed. But as a tall buff guy, I think you could shave it all off and make it work.

• well sounds like you're doing good in general.. recedding hairline won't hurt ur chnces a lot, especially when ur in ur 30's